Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

We are booked on the Feb 6 Jade cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong but with the spread of the coronavirus, the Level 4 Travel Alerts, our doctors advice and the cancellation of our flight home to the US from Hong Kong, we feel our health, safety and well being are endangered if we and hundreds of other American passengers now sail on the cruise. 

We have been asking NCL for a cruise credit or future rebooking for next year, but so far they have been totally unresponsive to the situation. Right now, they are still saying we will be penalized the full cost of the cruise if we don't sail, even though we could fall ill, be quarantined, miss ports and or possibly be stranded in China for weeks or months. 

Is anyone else having the same issue or have advice on how to proceed?

• Like 1

Hong Kong =/= Mainland China.

While the State Department has issued a level 4 travel advisory (Do not travel), Hong Kong is still level 2 (Exercise Increased Caution). Hong Kong has reported 15 potential cases, fewer than South Korea, Japan, or Thailand.

• Like 2

I am so glad another cruiser is taking this virus seriously, we fly to the US in 10 days for a cruise, and even the thought of Heathrow airport is giving us shivers, luckily we have a pack of 50 professional face masks, and surgical gloves.

The virus is levelling out in China, however it has increased in other countries, insurance isn’t the answer, people book holidays of a lifetime and expect care.

• Like 2

We received this yesterday 2/2/2020 from Regent Seven Seas Cruises regarding our cruise.  Even with their policy you would have to have travelled to mainland China to qualify for a refund.

You have travel insurance be sure to call them before canceling.   It’s my understanding most policies won’t cover it.

From Regent:

Please be advised due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China, guests who have visited mainland China within 30 days of their voyage embarkation will not be allowed to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises ship. Kindly note Hong Kong is not considered part of mainland China and guests who have visited Hong Kong will be permitted to sail.

In addition, Regent is implementing non-touch temperature screenings for all guests and crew embarking in Hong Kong. Any person who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board.
If you have traveled to mainland China within 30 days of your cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor or Regent Reservations at 1.844.4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) so they can begin the process of cancelling your upcoming voyage and starting the refund process.”

Edited by firefox33
  • Like 1

Travel insurance won't cover the threat of a virus.

Hong Kong is not in mainland China and is therefore NOT currently part of the restrictions by the US and other companies. That's why cruises in/out of mainland China have been cancelled but ones to areas that aren't considered mainland China - like Hong Kong - are not being cancelled. 

If you choose to cancel and you don't have CFAR travel insurance then you are subject to NCL's cancellation policy. 

• Thanks 1

I think some are over reacting. First of all with all the precautions the cruise lines are taking, the ships could be some of the safest places to avoid the virus.  Not sure why some are telling the OP to file an insurance claim when insurance will not pay anything on hypothetical circumstances.  If you are so terrified then cancel the cruise and think of it as one of life's lessons.  Otherwise go and have a fantastic cruise.  NCL sells an insurance program for just these reasons.  You can cancel for any reason and book another time with credit.

The flu virus kills 50,000 people every year but you don't see people cancelling cruises because of that.  Not one person has caught this virus from being on a cruise ship.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

But surely you understand why they aren’t offering you a full credit or the opportunity to reschedule.  Can you imagine what would happen if they offered a full credit to anyone who thought they might get sick on a curse?

• Like 10

Not certain about travel insurance purchased through NCL or an outside agency,but Princess travel protection offers “cancel for any reason” . With this, you do not receive a fare refund ,but a credit for a future booking. With this option, all is not lost.

14 minutes ago, Capeviewer said:

Insurance does not cover travel alerts or epidemics

A cancel for any reason policy (which is the only insurance I buy) allows you to cancel for any reason. Like a virus. Or civil unrest. Or Hurricane. Or Typhoon. Or a hangover. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

The OP indicated that the flight HOME has already been cancelled, by the airline.  I'd be more concerned about this ....

and sometimes in life, you just have to 'take the hickey' as an old boss of mine was fond of saying.  Granted, I'm sure its a massive chunk of change, but you either, A. take the trip..after first making sure you have a way home. and being extra vigilant around anyone who even hints at being sick...wash the hands, don't touch your face...etc, 

or B...cancel the whole think, and mark it up to a life lesson (especially if there is no insurance that will reimburse at least some of the cost) 

just my humble opion

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tutuwahineLV said:

The OP indicated that the flight HOME has already been cancelled, by the airline. 

Then I would call up the airline and see if there's an alternative flight home that they can put me on. If there's no alternative flight home, then I would start talking to my travel insurance. I believe an airline canceling your flight if there is no alternative available then that might be a covered reason. 

• Like 3

The problem is not so much the virus. Just look at the Costa Smeralda, Aidaperla and now Diamond Princess. A couple of people reporting to medical facilities and the cruise could get quarantined with the risk of missing flights, additional vacation days needed, rerouted to different disembarkation port, ...

Or the chinese guests who were forced to disembark during the sailing because the disembarkation port changed immigration rules after the cruise was underway. 

Edited by onetimearoundtheworld
  • Like 2

Sorry you have to deal with NCL. Customer service not their strong point. In the past they've done exactly what their passenger contract requires them to do, which is nothing. They don't have to guarantee ports or safety or well being of passengers. It's all in the one sided contract you are required to sign if you want to sail.

If it was me, I would probably cancel and cut my losses with NCL. Concerns about health and well being have no price. They'll be required to refund port charges and any prepaid service charges. It is unlikely they'll do anything for you.

Like others in your shoes, you may also decide to open a case with Better Business Bureau and continue to bring negative attention to their business practices. Many folks here on cruisecritic have an "NCL can do no harm approach", so you'll get a lot of canned responses that lack empathy and understanding are frankly unhelpful. 

I wish you all the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capeviewer said:

We are booked on the Feb 6 Jade cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong but with the spread of the coronavirus, the Level 4 Travel Alerts, our doctors advice and the cancellation of our flight home to the US from Hong Kong, we feel our health, safety and well being are endangered if we and hundreds of other American passengers now sail on the cruise. 

Yes, enjoy your cruise and try not to worry about it too much.  We have the same issue as we are on the Jade Feb 17 sailing out of Hong Kong.  Yes we are concerned.  But know that the infection rate in Hong Kong is surprisingly low right now.  Actually Singapore has more cases of the virus.   

Royal Caribbean has changed their Singapore-Hong Kong cruises to Singapore round trip.  But that doesn't seem to make sense considering that Singapore has more cases.  Things may change in a few weeks, but for right now, things seem OK in Hong Kong and the travel alert is Level 2.  If it should change to a level 4, then NCL will have no choice and will need to make a change.  Your travel insurance may be able to help you with your cancelled flight.  That happens all the time, virus or no virus.

Edited by Lou33

1 hour ago, Capeviewer said:

We have been asking NCL for a cruise credit or future rebooking for next year, but so far they have been totally unresponsive to the situation. 

My husband and I are on the Jade leaving Hong Kong on 2/17 and are having the same problem. They won’t let us change the cruise (we didn’t ask for a refund, just a credit). We were able to cancel our non-refundable hotel room and airline. It’s just NCL that is being unreasonable.  Although I’m not that worried about catching the virus, I am worried about everything else that comes along with it. Almost every attraction in HK is closed, there are threats of medical strikes, flights are being canceled or changed, and the other ports (Vietnam, Thailand, etc.) are having issues too. It wouldn’t be worth going even if I knew I wouldn’t catch the virus. 

I understand I signed a contract when booking my cruise; however, companies can do the responsible thing and allow changes/credits just like my airline and hotel did on non-refundable rates. Best of luck Capeviewer. If I hear from NCL, I’ll certainly let you know!

• Like 4

Ya, insurance be damned. In cases like these, the cruise lines really should be providing an option to at least give you full credit for a future re-booking. Its crazy to think the cruise line still expects people to take their cruises when flights to/from port cities are being cancelled. This is a very special, rare and unique situation.

• Like 2

As a service provider you do have the option to refer to your terms and conditions which your customer has agreed to or you can try to be flexible and make the customer happy. NCL obviously decided to use the first option.

This might save them a lot of dollars right now but it will cost them a lot of potentiol future customers.

• Like 3