Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

11 hours ago, Portybelly said:

Those on board have been told Vietnam has denied them entry. Jade now heading for Log Samui in Thailand apparently.

does a ship know they will/wont be accepted at a port before they leave their existing port or do you just show up and  hope they let you in? i forget what ship it was that recently was denied 5 ports. certainly they just sit in the ocean and make the phone call, not just show up?

23 minutes ago, phil the brit said:

Oh, and a second question, as the two ports in Vietnam have now been changed to "days at sea" AND the change of embarkation port has been changed as well of course. This together then surely is so far away now from the original itinery that it becomes nothing like what was bought and paid for.

I mean, if I go into McDonalds and ask for a quarter pounder and given chicken nuggets then surely that is a "material change" that could be rejected?

I’m confused as it sounds like Vietnam did the right thing and closed the port forcing the Jade to sail around and have additional days at sea. If that’s the case, why did they tweet just 20 hours ago that they ARE going to Vietnam. Didn’t it get reported that the no Vietnam change was communicated before this tweet? See first screenshot. 

Also, my booking is showing the itinerary is on hold.  I’m not sure why it says make a payment as I have no amount due for this cruise.  It will still let you book on ship activities but not shore excursions. See second screenshot. 

8F0B98D0-6D0E-4C53-90BB-EB616BA58700.jpeg

1A476B68-4AEB-45C1-BE23-3FF12EEA420E.png

They won't let you book shore excursions because it will cause a lot of unnecessay paperwork if/when they have to cancel them because the ship is banned from entering port. Ship activities are a given being in their control.

This is an ever changing itinery and will be all the way through the cruise.

THey are NOT going to cancel it now, better get packed and gone.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Atgatsea said:

For what reason(s) do you think they will cancel?  They have lowered prices on the 2/27 sailing by 10% since yesterday.  That to me indicates they intend to sail as planned.

I don’t think they will cancel now if you booked in the UK check this out https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/package-travel-regulations

This company sucks. Maybe if those people who are affected try using social media constantly to embarrass them to do the right thing. If that don’t work then they might want to try using the same tactics on the travel agencies they booked with. .   Perhaps the travel agencies can be pressured into persuading them. 

5 minutes ago, ppcox said:

I don’t think they will cancel now if you booked in the UK check this out https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/package-travel-regulations

I don't think they'll cancel that one; they've got to get that ship out of the region and they're gonna drag as many people along with them as they can to recoup losses.  This website updates continually .... Singapore has now surpassed Hong Kong for active cases ..... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by jskeel

6 hours ago, Atgatsea said:

NCL says the port is being unreasonable?  They just got called out for a reckless decision and cannot accept they did something wrong.  No doubt Vietnam will be off the list for the 2/17 sailing because it will have some of the same crew.  They will be hearing from me again today with another demand for a refund due to a significantly altered (and diminished) itinerary.  NCL still sailing is madness!

I would post this on their Facebook page over and over. What a bunch of greedy dopes!

Just now, Sam Ting said:

This company sucks. Maybe if those people who are affected try using social media constantly to embarrass them to do the right thing. If that don’t work then they might want to try using the same tactics on the travel agencies they booked with. .   Perhaps the travel agencies can be pressured into persuading them. 

We're in Miami, where NCL is based, and my wife has been emailing the local tv news stations this morning to see if they're interested in this story.  She pointed out that most major cruise lines have now either cancelled or completely pulled out of Asia, but NCL has done nothing and is still going forward with their cruises even as country after country has refused permission for cruise ships to dock in their countries.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

We're in Miami, where NCL is based, and my wife has been emailing the local tv news stations this morning to see if they're interested in this story.  She pointed out that most major cruise lines have now either cancelled or completely pulled out of Asia, but NCL has done nothing and is still going forward with their cruises even as country after country has refused permission for cruise ships to dock in their countries.

Same. I’ve been emailing and tweeting sun sentinel and herald since Sunday 

• Like 1

Reminds me back when NCL had 3 ships in Hawaii and the reviews were poor here as crew kept walking off the ships before their contracts were over. NCL Corporate posted on this site and said the comments here were not justified and overblown. Soon after, they scaled back to one ship. Management might of been different back then, but same playbook in this case.

Edited by coaster

Starting to see a small amount of activity on Feb 6 Jade Roll Call. Sound like passengers will be meeting to discuss NCLs offer. Their cruise has expectedly turned into a bunch of sea days. Expected to everyone, except Norwegian Cruise Lies execs. They see no problem with the ship trying to dock in Vietnam. Fortunately, common sense and good judgment is prevailing.

Edited by blcruising
  • Thanks 1

Continuing my relentless mission to tell everyone about Norwegian Cruise Lines! We have gained some great media attention. Since I know NCL monitors these post. Let me make it clear I wont stop until Norwegian does right by their customers. You can take my money. I will lose the battle but I wont lose the war. I hope your are prepared to fight. All I can loose is my small cruise fare. Your lose will the thousands of customers whos eyes are opened to how you do business. Fight on!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JCopp said:

Continuing my relentless mission to tell everyone about Norwegian Cruise Lines! We have gained some great media attention. Since I know NCL monitors these post. Let me make it clear I wont stop until Norwegian does right by their customers. You can take my money. I will lose the battle but I wont lose the war. I hope your are prepared to fight. All I can loose is my small cruise fare. Your lose will the thousands of customers whos eyes are opened to how you do business. Fight on!

Twitter is definitely getting more active as is media stories. I’ve seen several journalists reaching out on twitter so more stories will be coming out for sure. I sent NCL executives emails this morning notifying them of the stories, social media campaign, and more media exposure. We shall see if they respond...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCopp said:

Tommy would be proud!  

1 minute ago, JCopp said:

I admire your moxie but in the big picture and the long run none of this will adversely impact NCL or any of the other cruise lines.  Look at all the stuff you have seen in years past for cruise lines...ships breaking down, norovirus, traveling through storms, etc.  All those things seemed like disasters and yet the cruise lines continue to post record numbers of passengers.  Consumers have especially short memories.

Good luck with media though.

This Covid-19 is spreading fast especially in cruise ships. If I had an Asian cruise pending, I'd cut my losses & cancel. Try to contact NCL but good luck on them returning your money. When we had a West African cruise pending, the cruise company (not NCL) didn't return our money despite of the Ebola deaths in the region & a month before the cruise, the company changed the itinerary. The question now is would this virus affect non-Asian cruises?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

16 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I admire your moxie but in the big picture and the long run none of this will adversely impact NCL or any of the other cruise lines.  Look at all the stuff you have seen in years past for cruise lines...ships breaking down, norovirus, traveling through storms, etc.  All those things seemed like disasters and yet the cruise lines continue to post record numbers of passengers.  Consumers have especially short memories.

Good luck with media though.

You are absolutely right. I love cruising, it's one of my favorite things to do. I hope cruise lines recover and prosper from all this. All I'm doing is pointing people away from cruising with NCL. If I save one person from the headache it's a win. The problem for NCL is I'm not the type of person who is happy with only one person. 😁

• Like 1

I think it all comes down to reasonable customer service in the end.  Missing a port or even two on a voyage is part and parcel of the vaguaries of weather and chance... rough seas, hurricanes, dock strikes, men overboard, etc.  As cruisers, we know that every line is in existence to make money- but part of that ability to make money is based on the ability to secure passenger loyalty.  With regards to an absolutely demolished itinerary, good customer service should include offering pax a complete refund and/or cancelling the cruise until COVD-19 runs its course (which may be quite awhile).  So, I understand your chagrin and hope you find some resolution in all of this. I gave you some Twitter support👌  Hang in there.

Edited by musicgal
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCopp said:

You are absolutely right. I love cruising, it's one of my favorite things to do. I hope cruise lines recover and prosper from all this. All I'm doing is pointing people away from cruising with NCL. If I save one person from the headache it's a win. The problem for NCL is I'm not the type of person who is happy with only one person. 😁

Don't worry about the cruise lines or NCL, they have had a lot of bad press and they always come out of it in good shape.  Think about the Costa ship that ran aground, think about Carnival with the crap ship, NCL with the Bomb Cyclone cruise, etc.  The only people that will remember this in sixty days, is those involved, but keep trying.  The Coronavirus will probably affect their stock for a short time, but that is about it.