Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Honestly you should be more concerned about getting the flu than corona at this point. Corona is around 25,000 worldwide while the flu is over 25,000,000 in just the US just for this season with over 25,000 killed this season

I get my flu shot every year and have immunity. I can't get a shot for coronavirus. They are two different contagions with the coronavirus having many more unknowns.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, badcowboy said:

I get my flu shot every year and have immunity. I can't get a shot for coronavirus. They are two different contagions with the coronavirus having many more unknowns.

Yeah, that's not how flu shots work. Flu shots are never 100% effective. It usually hovers in the 40-60% range of effectiveness and varies each season on whether or not they guessed the right strands would be active and how fast the strains are mutating that year. [I also think the vaccine rates effect that as well (herd immunity), but am not certain - plus vaccination rates rarely get over 50% so too few to achieve herd immunity.] You certainly can get the flu even if you've had the shot, though you're likely to get a much milder version as your body is primed to defend against it. If you got your flu shot you are less likely to die from the flu not immune to the flu. People can and do die even though they got their flu shot. 

None of this is to say don't get your flu shot, but it's not a panacea and doesn't guarantee you won't be one of the victims. 

5 hours ago, blcruising said:

I would like to say this is an amazing platform for sharing information. It is too bad NCL is delayed with it's communication. Here someone was thinking about making final payment under the reasonable belief that it was business as usual, but there is information out there that indicates it may not be business as usual. People may be booking a cruise thinking they are going to Asia, when in fact they aren't. And NCL is remote silent again. It is too bad we have to learn these things from each other, but it is a great forum for this!!

Agreed!  People have differing opinions on this topic (clearly) but I think this platform is great for not just sharing information in situations like this, but also for sharing much more positive info about NCL and cruises.  

I give you credit blcrusing, you stand your ground even when outnumbered!  Haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

Agreed!  People have differing opinions on this topic (clearly) but I think this platform is great for not just sharing information in situations like this, but also for sharing much more positive info about NCL and cruises.  

I give you credit blcrusing, you stand your ground even when outnumbered!  Haha

Well, thanks. I do appreciate the opportunity to hear views I may not agree with. I think we all share a passion for cruising, so collectively,  we are probably more similar than different in that regard.

• Like 3

We're sailing from Singapore to Thailand, Vietnam and on to five nights in bali with Princess. My main concern is that it's a 14 hour flight for us from the UK to Singapore and if we get there and flights from Singapore and bali are cancelled or not allowed back to the UK where does that leave us? We paid £550 for our 12 month travel insurance as I have health issues and I don't know if Princess insurance would have covered me. 

I have been thinking for quite a while that it is ridiculous how long it takes NCL to make updates to their website about any changes to their cruise itineraries. They have no problem making changes in pricing to reflect the latest "sale", or rise in any fees or service charges.

Never mind the talk of who should take the hit if someone wants to cancel an upcoming cruise to China or nearby areas affected by the virus. It wouldn't be that bad of a hit for NCL to at least offer 90% credit for a future cruise. This would probably be better than filling a ship with people who have flown into the area of embarkation and may have come in contact with an infected person. I think it would be very costly if the whole ship is quarantined like Diamond Princess. Not only did they have to cancel future cruises, they now have to feed and take care of nonpaying passengers for at least 14 days. I would think that would be a bigger monetary disaster for NCL.

So far I am planning to go on my upcoming NCL cruise and am sure I will have a good time, but I always adjust my expectations when cruising with NCL. I also take their insurance and don't book the most expensive cabins so that if I have to cancel I won't be out too much money.

Good luck to all affected cruisers. I hope you can work out a plan to still have enjoyable future cruises.

31 minutes ago, parmus said:

I just received in the mail a nice 38 page NCL brochure where pages 8-15 are their 2020 Asian cruises on the Spirit. July, August, September, November and December....

I got two and I’m already booked. Wondered how much that waste of paper cost.

I've read that Crystal Symphony is a ship without a port. Both Taiwan and the Philippines have denied docking. I hope the ship has enough fuel. Flying Dutchman?

Passengers can get 50% FCC is they sail or a 100% FCC if they cancel.

"On Thursday February 6, Crystal Cruises was notified by authorities that the ports of Manila, Philippines and Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan are now closed to all international cruise ships."

https://www.crystalcruises.com/coronavirus-update

3 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I've read that Crystal Symphony is a ship without a port. Both Taiwan and the Philippines have denied docking. I hope the ship has enough fuel. Flying Dutchman?

"On Thursday February 6, Crystal Cruises was notified by authorities that the ports of Manila, Philippines and Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan are now closed to all international cruise ships."

Won't be surprised if other ports follow suit.  It's mind boggling that NCL are still pursuing with upcoming Asian cruises. 

23 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

As expected, looks like Holland is having a similar issue on current Westerdam sailing, and they are scrambling. They've finally wised up and cancelled the Feb 15 sailing, but the remaining days of the current 14 day cruise are currently a cruise to nowhere. There is no word if they are taking care of the passengers booked on Feb 15 departure.

"Holland America Line has been notified that the Japanese Government will not permit Westerdam to call in Japanese ports," the cruise line stated in a press release provided by Public Relations Director Erik Elvejord. "The ship had been scheduled to call to Ishigaki Island, Naha, Okinawa, Nagasaki and Fukuoka (Hakata), before its scheduled turn in Yokohama on Feb. 15, where the next cruise was scheduled to embark."

The cruise line is working quickly to develop alternate plans for the remainder of the 14-day East Asia cruise, which had already moved disembarkation point from Shanghai, China, to Yokohama. 

Edited by blcruising

What happens to the ship (Jade) and the passengers between now and the 17th of February - if there is an outbreak onboard the ship and/or the port in Singapore - or,  en route at one of the other port stops, i.e. Vietnam or Thailand and ordered to be held & quarantined.   Or, mere port closure to cruise ships (as is being done to Taiwan and the Philippines) 

While the odds of one or more "infected" passengers boarding the ship - with all the extra screening everywhere - especially all across Asia, at the airports & border entries, - the slim, remote possibility of NCL crew members possibly being indirectly infected/exposed is there & cannot be ruled out entirely, with the asymptomatic timeline of 5 to 14 days.  

In other related news - according to latest, 41 more travelers (passengers ... and crew members - no breakdown of the mix, yet) onboard the Diamond Princess (now held in Japan) tested positive for the virus, on top of the previous 20 with positive test results - now totalling 61.   

source: https://std.stheadline.com/instant/articles/detail/1196042/即時-國際-武漢肺炎-鑽石公主號-郵輪再增41人感染-累計61宗

Meanwhile, the World Dream is still being held in HK with 3,600 pax and crew unable to go ashore until health authorities clear them all ... apparently, pax & from their previous, Jan. 19th sailing tested positive for the virus and contact tracing underway - implying that crew members onboard were possibly exposed and asymtomatic.  First batch of results among the ship's crew & pax tested, should be released soon from the HK authorities, stay tune.   

The Crystal Symphony now at risk of becoming a cruise to nowhere ... 

Then, there is NCL ... freestyle cruising, the Norwegian way, anything goes, still.  It's business, as usual. 

Full disclosure (we own stocks in a # of these companies ...) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, blcruising said:

As expected, looks like Holland is having a similar issue on current Westerdam sailing, and they are scrambling. They've finally wised up and cancelled the Feb 15 sailing, but the remaining days of the current 14 day cruise are currently a cruise to nowhere. There is no word if they are taking care of the passengers booked on Feb 15 departure.

"Holland America Line has been notified that the Japanese Government will not permit Westerdam to call in Japanese ports," the cruise line stated in a press release provided by Public Relations Director Erik Elvejord. "The ship had been scheduled to call to Ishigaki Island, Naha, Okinawa, Nagasaki and Fukuoka (Hakata), before its scheduled turn in Yokohama on Feb. 15, where the next cruise was scheduled to embark."

The cruise line is working quickly to develop alternate plans for the remainder of the 14-day East Asia cruise, which had already moved disembarkation point from Shanghai, China, to Yokohama. 

Japan has the 2020 Summer Olympics so I wonder if they are getting a little concern so now protecting their borders. Last I read a vaccine may not be ready until August. Hopefully, the coronavirus will burn itself out soon.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text
  • Like 2

I know this doesn't relate to NCL directly, but it does speak to the current situation regarding the virus. I'm also hoping someone from NCL might read this and wise up.

Just to update on Westerdam, they are cancelling the cruise mid-cruise. There is a video on Twitter where the captain is announcing that the cruise is being cancelled but they currently have no where to disembark the guests. He stated they are working with US Dept of State, US Navy and Dutch officials to determine an appropriate course of action. He also stated that there are no suspected or confirmed cases onboard. I think this is just the Japanese port authorities bring overly cautious.

What an absolute mess for Holland America and I really feel this could have been avoided. And of course, thinking about all passengers impacted by this.

Edited by blcruising

12 minutes ago, milolii said:

That is incredible.  What a disaster. Please somebody help these people. So.. if Japan is refusing to let them disembark what  is to become of the Diamond Princess? 

Unclear at this time. 10 more tested positive on Diamond today, so they are up to 20 out of the 300 or so that were tested.

Sorry, see milolii post below. Diamond is at 61 out of 273. Thank you for the updated info.

Edited by blcruising

Were you actually booked on an Asian cruise and had to cancel/was cancelled or are you someone who is just raising dust for those that may be? Do you have any NCL/anyone else cruise booked within the next 2 weeks?
We're in NOLA and leaving tomorrow, just saying.

Unclear at this time. 10 more tested positive on Diamond today, so they are up to 20 out of the 300 or so that were tested.

23 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Just to update on Westerdam, they are cancelling the cruise mid-cruise. There is a video on Twitter where the captain is announcing that the cruise is being cancelled but they currently have no where to disembark the guests. He stated they are working with US Dept of State, US Navy and Dutch officials to determine an appropriate course of action. What an absolute mess for Holland America and I really feel this could have been avoided. And of course, thinking about all passengers impacted by this.

Diamond now has 61 cases, unfortunately.  

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2020-02-05/coronavirus-cruise-passengers-diamond-princess

I know hard to keep up, things happening so fast.  

Edited by milolii
More information
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2bthere said:

Were you actually booked on an Asian cruise and had to cancel/was cancelled or are you someone who is just raising dust for those that may be? Do you have any NCL/anyone else cruise booked within the next 2 weeks?
We're in NOLA and leaving tomorrow, just saying.

What are you doing on cruisecritic? Get to the French Quarter and start partying!!! Have a great cruise!

5 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Yeah, that's not how flu shots work. Flu shots are never 100% effective. It usually hovers in the 40-60% range of effectiveness and varies each season on whether or not they guessed the right strands would be active and how fast the strains are mutating that year. [I also think the vaccine rates effect that as well (herd immunity), but am not certain - plus vaccination rates rarely get over 50% so too few to achieve herd immunity.] You certainly can get the flu even if you've had the shot, though you're likely to get a much milder version as your body is primed to defend against it. If you got your flu shot you are less likely to die from the flu not immune to the flu. People can and do die even though they got their flu shot. 

None of this is to say don't get your flu shot, but it's not a panacea and doesn't guarantee you won't be one of the victims. 

so let me guess - you don't believe in any vaccinations? measles? When a 37 year old doctor dies because of this, it is serious. Better to practice precautions instead of pointing at something else - "hey look , it is the flu, it kills people even though they take precautions"?

3 hours ago, parmus said:

I just received in the mail a nice 38 page NCL brochure where pages 8-15 are their 2020 Asian cruises on the Spirit. July, August, September, November and December....

You do realize that these were printed long before coronavirus "exploded."

Edited by DShep
  • Like 1