Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Capeviewer

Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, badcowboy said:

so let me guess - you don't believe in any vaccinations? measles? When a 37 year old doctor dies because of this, it is serious. Better to practice precautions instead of pointing at something else - "hey look , it is the flu, it kills people even though they take precautions"?

I don't see where simplybecause said they don't believe in vaccinations. All they did was give basic, accurate, information: flu shots are not 100% effective. They make them every year by selecting the flu strains that they think will be most active in the upcoming season. If they guess wrong the flu shot can be much less effective. Even if they guess right these types of viruses mutate frequently and, by the time they get around to you, could have mutated enough that the vaccine is less effective at controlling it. It is still worthwhile getting the shot because even if you do get the flu it is likely to be a more mild case (because the vaccine will be at least partly effective in helping your body fight it).

 

Yes it makes sense to take precautions against spreading any virus this new coronavirus or the more common flu virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, badcowboy said:

so let me guess - you don't believe in any vaccinations? measles? When a 37 year old doctor dies because of this, it is serious. Better to practice precautions instead of pointing at something else - "hey look , it is the flu, it kills people even though they take precautions"?

 

Let me guess - you didn't read what I wrote? Nor actually looked into the science behind vaccines? I've taken the flu shot every year for the last decade. I've also made sure I'm up to date on other shots by taking boosters once I've become an adult on the recommended schedule - are you up to date on your dtap? Among others? Vaccines don't impart life long immunities afterall. If you're in the group recommended the pneumonia shot should be taken every 5 years. If your avatar is any indication of age you should be getting the singles vaccine as well. 

 

All of that has NOTHING to do with what I've said. If you get the MMR shot (it's not just the measles shot, it's measles mumps and rubella) it's 97% effective for a certain number of years.

 

The true fact of the science is that the flu shot is one of the least effective vaccines out there. That combined with needing to take the vaccine every year results in a drastically lower amount of the population taking the flu shot. It's around 50%, but that varies any given year. A lot of people use its lower effectiveness rate as an excuse to not take the vaccine. 

 

I'm not arguing to not take the flu shot, I'm just stating the proven fact that it doesn't make one immune (which you claimed) nor does it guarantee you won't die from the flu. Even with the vaccine, the flu is still way more of a threat to your health and life than the coronavirus is at current. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DShep said:

You do realize that these were printed long before coronavirus "exploded."

 

Did you really just say that in your out loud voice?  I guess the irony in my comment wasn't clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Diamond Princess has 61 cases of coronavirus.  Almost triple the number of cases in Hong Kong.  Out of all the countries in the world, only China has more cases.  That raises a few questions.  1) Who is going on that ship for it's next cruise?  Would you want to?  2) Are there any other cruise ships that are infected with coronavirus?

 

The Japanese had no idea that anybody on the ship would be infected.  They quarantined the ship strictly as a precaution because a passenger on the previous cruise tested positive.  If other ports would do this kind of check for other cruise ships what would they find?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

 

. If your avatar is any indication of age you should be getting the singles vaccine as well. 

 

There's a vaccine to make one immune to marriage?  Is this recent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badcowboy said:

so let me guess - you don't believe in any vaccinations? measles? When a 37 year old doctor dies because of this, it is serious. Better to practice precautions instead of pointing at something else - "hey look , it is the flu, it kills people even though they take precautions"?

 

4 hours ago, sunshine 229 said:

I don't see where simplybecause said they don't believe in vaccinations. All they did was give basic, accurate, information: flu shots are not 100% effective. They make them every year by selecting the flu strains that they think will be most active in the upcoming season. If they guess wrong the flu shot can be much less effective. Even if they guess right these types of viruses mutate frequently and, by the time they get around to you, could have mutated enough that the vaccine is less effective at controlling it. It is still worthwhile getting the shot because even if you do get the flu it is likely to be a more mild case (because the vaccine will be at least partly effective in helping your body fight it).

 

Yes it makes sense to take precautions against spreading any virus this new coronavirus or the more common flu virus. 

 

This point is very pertinent to the current virus.

SARS (which incidentally was thought to originate as an animal strain of coronavirus) was eradicated (hopefully as none since 2004) thank goodness it did not mutate, flu on the other hand constantly mutates making it all but impossible under current medicine to eradicate.

The current virus will hopefully have a vaccine developed soon and that is why it is so important to stop the spread, not only because it makes it easier to vaccinate but also because the more it spreads the more chance it begins to mutate, swine, bird, SARS and the current virus are thought to have all mutated once from animals.

Edited by ziggyuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, david_sobe said:

I think some are over reacting. First of all with all the precautions the cruise lines are taking, the ships could be some of the safest places to avoid the virus.  Not sure why some are telling the OP to file an insurance claim when insurance will not pay anything on hypothetical circumstances.  If you are so terrified then cancel the cruise and think of it as one of life's lessons.  Otherwise go and have a fantastic cruise.  NCL sells an insurance program for just these reasons.  You can cancel for any reason and book another time with credit.

The flu virus kills 50,000 people every year but you don't see people cancelling cruises because of that.  Not one person has caught this virus from being on a cruise ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will have seen by now the news reports that 61 people have been infected on the Diamond Princess in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, debshomespun said:

Certainly not looking good. They'd be wise to get the Jade to port and cut their losses before they end up like the HAL Westerdam, which is trying to end a cruise early but is unable to find a debarkation port. Every country has rejected their request, including most recently, the US Dept of State's appeal to Guam on behalf of HAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spirit schedules, I am convinced, are about to change and the ship will sail two cruiselegs Rome to Dubai; Dubai to Cape Town and then the 24 night cruise originally scheduled Cape Town to Singapore will return to the Med on a similar route to arrive in Athens for the Spring/Summer season!

 

We are booked on the Cape Town to Singapore leg, but a good number are scheduled to be on for 80 nights, i.e. the 3 sailings above and then Singapore to Tokyo which was to be the new home port for Spirit....so hugely sad for anyone scheduled to do all of that.

 

Much more on the other thread....Spirit Last Minute Changes....will be posted in the coming hours and days, I am certain.

Edited by hamrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Royal Caribbean ship has just docked in Bayonne NJ with roughly a dozen sick Chinese nationals being tested for coronavirus. They were coming from the Bahamas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

A Royal Caribbean ship has just docked in Bayonne NJ with roughly a dozen sick Chinese nationals being tested for coronavirus. They were coming from the Bahamas

 

Just saw this, it's the Anthem of the seas.

https://6abc.com/5910246/

 

I do hope nobody is allowed to leave until the 12 people have been tested.

Edited by ziggyuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, milolii said:

That is incredible.  What a disaster. Please somebody help these people. So.. if Japan is refusing to let them disembark what  is to become of the Diamond Princess? 
 

Wondering, if there is a large majority of the passengers are from the US, would a naval base take them?  They could quarantine them there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blcruising said:

Certainly not looking good. They'd be wise to get the Jade to port and cut their losses before they end up like the HAL Westerdam, which is trying to end a cruise early but is unable to find a debarkation port. Every country has rejected their request, including most recently, the US Dept of State's appeal to Guam on behalf of HAL.

 

17 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Wondering, if there is a large majority of the passengers are from the US, would a naval base take them?  They could quarantine them there.  

 

Apparently even your navy won't help out... seems strange doesn't it?  Perhaps most passengers on HAL aren't US citizens. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Apparently even your navy won't help out... seems strange doesn't it?  Perhaps most passengers on HAL aren't US citizens. 

 

Not any stranger than any other country's navy not helping out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but isn't the U.S. Navy the largest by far, and if the majority of cruisers are U.S, citizens,and

if they are able to assist, I think they should. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, BirdTravels said:

A cancel for any reason policy (which is the only insurance I buy) allows you to cancel for any reason. Like a virus. Or civil unrest. Or Hurricane. Or Typhoon. Or a hangover. 

Good for you. However, I fail to see how the type of insurance you purchase will help Capeviewer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, epgjon said:

True, but isn't the U.S. Navy the largest by far, and if the majority of cruisers are U.S, citizens,and

if they are able to assist, I think they should. Just saying.

Yes, but if other countries are not willing to step up, why would the burden be put on the US.  Just saying.

 

It would be nice if all the countries got together and figured out a way to have the passengers let off at a naval base somewhere possibly UK's naval base in Singapore or US's naval base in Hong Kong, with all countries contributing to the cost, but we know that will never happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, epgjon said:

True, but isn't the U.S. Navy the largest by far, and if the majority of cruisers are U.S, citizens,and

if they are able to assist, I think they should. Just saying.

I have not seen a breakdown of guests by nationality.  Have you?  The majority of guests might not be US.  Further, once crew are added to the mix, even less likely the majority of souls are US.  In any case, no coronavirus cases have been confirmed and the ship is not under a quarantine.  While Westerdam has been excluded from port call, guests have food water, booze, entertainment, crew services.  With all the publicity, they probably are not going to be allow to just fly home.  And maybe they would not want to risk potentially exposing loved ones by sound so anyway.  Personally, I’d rather wait it out at sea on a ship (of my choosing, cabin of my choosing) than at a naval base.  Hopefully nobody will develop symptoms of coronavirus and the passengers can get on with their lives.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Yes, but if other countries are not willing to step up, why would the burden be put on the US.  Just saying.

 

It would be nice if all the countries got together and figured out a way to have the passengers let off at a naval base somewhere possibly UK's naval base in Singapore or US's naval base in Hong Kong, with all countries contributing to the cost, but we know that will never happen.

I agree with your comments. i was just making  the point, should this situation, with the now growing possibility of ships being quarantined, that the U.S. Navy having the mighty 7th. fleet in that area, would have the necessary

ships etc to be able to assist, also, I too, would like some kind of international effort to be formed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen a breakdown of guests by nationality.  Have you?  The majority of guests might not be US.  Further, once crew are added to the mix, even less likely the majority of souls are US.  In any case, no coronavirus cases have been confirmed and the ship is not under a quarantine.  While Westerdam has been excluded from port call, guests have food water, booze, entertainment, crew services.  With all the publicity, they probably are not going to be allow to just fly home.  And maybe they would not want to risk potentially exposing loved ones by sound so anyway.  Personally, I’d rather wait it out at sea on a ship (of my choosing, cabin of my choosing) than at a naval base.  Hopefully nobody will develop symptoms of coronavirus and the passengers can get on with their lives.  

 

 

Your points are noted respectfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen a breakdown of guests by nationality.  Have you?  The majority of guests might not be US.  Further, once crew are added to the mix, even less likely the majority of souls are US.  In any case, no coronavirus cases have been confirmed and the ship is not under a quarantine.  While Westerdam has been excluded from port call, guests have food water, booze, entertainment, crew services.  With all the publicity, they probably are not going to be allow to just fly home.  And maybe they would not want to risk potentially exposing loved ones by sound so anyway.  Personally, I’d rather wait it out at sea on a ship (of my choosing, cabin of my choosing) than at a naval base.  Hopefully nobody will develop symptoms of coronavirus and the passengers can get on with their lives.  

This is one update I read today:  Princess Cruises confirmed to PEOPLE that ten more people on their Diamond Princess cruise liner had tested positive for the illness. In addition the three Americans, those affected include seven people from Japan, three from Hong Kong, two from Australia, two from Canada, one from New Zealand, one from Taiwan and one from the Philippines.

 

https://people.com/travel/cruise-ship-quarantined-japan-coronavirus/

Edited by NLH Arizona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen a breakdown of guests by nationality.  Have you?  The majority of guests might not be US.  Further, once crew are added to the mix, even less likely the majority of souls are US.  In any case, no coronavirus cases have been confirmed and the ship is not under a quarantine.  While Westerdam has been excluded from port call, guests have food water, booze, entertainment, crew services.  With all the publicity, they probably are not going to be allow to just fly home.  And maybe they would not want to risk potentially exposing loved ones by sound so anyway.  Personally, I’d rather wait it out at sea on a ship (of my choosing, cabin of my choosing) than at a naval base.  Hopefully nobody will develop symptoms of coronavirus and the passengers can get on with their lives.  

 

 

Your points are noted respectfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

 

 

Apparently even your navy won't help out... seems strange doesn't it?  Perhaps most passengers on HAL aren't US citizens. 

 

Based on my experience, this time of the year many of the passengers would be Canadians and others from cooler climates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...