Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Capeviewer

Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, AliciaandMark said:

The sad part is that I would never travel without full comprehensive travel insurance. I’m a stickler for that and fully subscribe to the sole responsibility of being covered for the slight chance something goes wrong. ...

Do you have “cancel for any reason coverage” or standard cancellation coverage?  I would hope those with “cancel for any reason coverage” would able to read their policies and come up with the appropriate way to cancel (even that means saying something like “I need to visit Grandma” instead of “I’m worried about Coronavirus”).  Or are even those with “cancel for any reason” coverage having difficulty?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To everyone with travel insurance, it is always recommended that you read your policy carefully to understand what is and isn't covered. It is also important to be  truthful with your insurance provider when filing a claim. Filing false claims or making misleading statements to your provider  can be considered insurance fraud, and can be prosecuted.

Edited by blcruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't get any cancellation insurance at all. Of course, now, that seems shortsighted. But nobody could have predicted that endangered pangolins in a chinese market would transmit some bat virus. Or however it happened.

 

We've been on perhaps 20 cruises in the last 15 years, so I guess we could just consider the $3000 some we're losing here is the accumulated cost of cancellation insurance we didn't buy over the years. Still, we hold out hope that NCL will come to its senses and realize what a PR boondoggle not refunding bookings will be. It would appear that any attempt to contact NCL directly is pointless. Only if Singapore and/or Thailand close their ports to cruise ships do we see any hope of the Jade cancelling its itinerary outright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Hello. In the past, what has worked for passengers that believe they have been harmed by NCL was to band together in a large, collective passenger group and involve independent third parties, like the media. Emails to Harry and Katy are often times less effective because they are the ones making NCLs policies. 

 

This is not a theory. This happened back in April 2018 on Norwegian Sun. The details are beyond the scope of this thread, but are available on the internet. Within a day or two of hitting the news, NCL changed their position and offered a full cruise credit to every passenger.

 

Media loves to sensationalize stories like this. Understandably, NCL executives hate when stories like this make the news.

 

You need great coordination, communication, and a lot of hard work to make something like this happen, and there are, of course, no guarantees. I am glad you have strong conviction and I wish you all the best. I suppose there is still an outside chance that Singapore could close up.

Thanks for the advice and I think those of us effected should absolutely take this advice. Could we all start contacting media?  My only concern in doing this is my current job requires me to get permission to speak to the media which is a long and tedious process. Maybe we can figure out an anonymous way to do it?  Someone mentioned social media. Maybe we could do something like that. I must admit my social media presence isn’t too good so I’m not sure how much impact I would have.  Anyone have any ideas?  I don’t want to just roll over but I don’t know what to do at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, blcruising said:

To everyone with travel insurance, it is always recommended that you read your policy carefully to understand what is and isn't covered. It is also important to be  truthful with your insurance provider when filing a claim. Filing false claims or making misleading statements to your provider  can be considered insurance fraud, and can be prosecuted.

No one is suggesting false claims. If you have cancel for any reason then the reason doesn't matter. Most policies cover sickness. So if you get the sniffles or a cough that is a respitory illness even without fever. My daughter once was a bit sick. She would have very loose bowels bordering on dihera when she ate. She had no fever and felt fine. I took her to the doctor with the trip insurance forms. First she said she was fine to travel but once I explained we didn't want too since who wants to be bothered with a child with dihera on vacation she completed the insurance form and even wrote that it was contagious. This was indeed truthful since anyone coming in contact with her bodily fluids could potentially get sick. It might have been noro or a mild case food poisoning. Either way they dont test for that. They dont do a test to confirm you have a cold but it's still contagious. Go to your family doctor with a cough and explains your symptoms (fatigue and headache for example)and that you dont want to go on a cruise that could aggravate tthem.I mean who would have a headache and fatigue after dealing with NCL. Respiratory illness is a pretty common diagnosis. It's the diagnosis I get each time my children or I have the sniffles. Which is why we dont go for a cold anymore. Since there is nothing they can do to help you. Other than complete your insurance claim form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

We didn't get any cancellation insurance at all....

 

We've been on perhaps 20 cruises in the last 15 years, so I guess we could just consider the $3000 some we're losing here is the accumulated cost of cancellation insurance we didn't buy over the years.

That is exactly how we would look at it.  We typically do not buy cancellation coverage either.  We have bought it for perhaps 3 of our 77 cruises; those exceptions were usually expensive cruises or when close relatives were seriously.  We  are financially and psychologically prepared to deal with the $ loss if we cancel or interrupt a cruise when we declined cancellation insurance.

 

BTW, in my prior example, if I told an insurance company “I want to visit Grandma that week” I would indeed visit Grandma that week.  No lying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you think about financial disasters, think of all the Hotels in China and other parts of Asia. The Cruise industry is quickly repositioning it's ships. Can't reposition the Hilton in Hong Kong or Shanghai. There is no way an American or European Corporation is going to send it's people to that part of the world at this time. and vice versa. I read this will reduce China growth by 2 percentage points from 6% to 4% That is Billions  with a B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Masekr11 said:

Thanks for the advice and I think those of us effected should absolutely take this advice. Could we all start contacting media?  My only concern in doing this is my current job requires me to get permission to speak to the media which is a long and tedious process. Maybe we can figure out an anonymous way to do it?  Someone mentioned social media. Maybe we could do something like that. I must admit my social media presence isn’t too good so I’m not sure how much impact I would have.  Anyone have any ideas?  I don’t want to just roll over but I don’t know what to do at this point. 

Can we piggyback off the woman from Hawaii who got the media attention. She obviously has a contact. I have zero social media but maybe someone else can find her. Her full name is in both articles. Power in numbers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, blcruising said:

To everyone with travel insurance, it is always recommended that you read your policy carefully to understand what is and isn't covered. It is also important to be  truthful with your insurance provider when filing a claim. Filing false claims or making misleading statements to your provider  can be considered insurance fraud, and can be prosecuted.

Not to mention, if you already called and wanted to cancel because of the virus, they probably have that in your file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Do you have “cancel for any reason coverage” or standard cancellation coverage?  I would hope those with “cancel for any reason coverage” would able to read their policies and come up with the appropriate way to cancel (even that means saying something like “I need to visit Grandma” instead of “I’m worried about Coronavirus”).  Or are even those with “cancel for any reason” coverage having difficulty?  

 

 

Cancel for any reason insurance is something I’d never heard of until this thread started a few days ago. In Australia we have ‘medical Only’ or ‘full comprehensive’ travel insurance. I always pay extra to ensure I have “unlimited” cancellation within the policy but that simply means I’ll be reimbursed the entire amount I’ve invested rather than be capped at say $2000, $5000 ect. I just googled ‘cancel for any reason‘ travel insurance and it does appear that one insurer introduced it in Australia about 18 months ago so it looks like it may now be an option. I’ve definitely learnt something new from this experience and will absolutely be switching insurers and looking at purchasing that next time if it’s still available here. Seems to be a very new concept here in Australia. My husband and I did joke about one of us breaking our leg in the next two weeks to claim on our cover (it was only a joke!) but our minds had turned that way hahaha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My income is limited so I only cruise ports that are in driving distance. I always get trip insurance but have only need to use it twice (and only once for cancellation). Does the typical trip insurance cover fees associated with change in port location. Who covers the cost of changing airfare? I have only been on NCL once. Not sure how I feel about them going forward. I have been following the suspected case on Anthem and like how they handled the situation. I've cruised with them before and now am more inclined to continue with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel for any reason insurance is typically much more expensive than standard insurance.  That type of insurance is appropriate for people who think they may change their mind "for reasons which are within their own life events".   For example they may own a business, and something comes up, and they can't be away from work.  Or maybe they're not sure if they booked the perfect holiday, and they want the option to cancel just in case something better comes up.  

 

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that somebody would need this type of insurance because a they feel that their cruise is "not safe".  That they are worried that they might be quarantined for several weeks and miss work.  That they might catch a rampant virus.  That a crazy cruise line will not give them the option to cancel for future cruise credit and is basically forcing them to do something that many people, feel is unsafe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Cancel for any reason insurance is typically much more expensive than standard insurance.  That type of insurance is appropriate for people who think they may change their mind "for reasons which are within their own life events".   For example they may own a business, and something comes up, and they can't be away from work.  Or maybe they're not sure if they booked the perfect holiday, and they want the option to cancel just in case something better comes up.  

 

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that somebody would need this type of insurance because a they feel that their cruise is "not safe".  That they are worried that they might be quarantined for several weeks and miss work.  That they might catch a rampant virus.  That a crazy cruise line will not give them the option to cancel for future cruise credit and is basically forcing them to do something that many people, feel is unsafe. 

Have been reading these boards for days.. your comment "crazy cruise line" is gold & perfect for what we are being put through.  We can all do with a chuckle amidst this debacle. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early Yesterday some commented here that Malaysia had closed its ports . I have been unable to confirm this elsewhere. This morning on Cruise Mapper I can see Cruise ships at Port Klang and Langkawi. We are Aussies due to cruise on the Jade 27/2 cruise to Dubai......watching and waiting to NCL to do the right thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MargaretatMittagong said:

Early Yesterday some commented here that Malaysia had closed its ports . I have been unable to confirm this elsewhere. This morning on Cruise Mapper I can see Cruise ships at Port Klang and Langkawi. We are Aussies due to cruise on the Jade 27/2 cruise to Dubai......watching and waiting to NCL to do the right thing.

 

It was Kota Kinabalu that was closed. Celebrity Millenium refused entry and was returning to Singapore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AliciaandMark said:

Cancel for any reason insurance is something I’d never heard of until this thread started a few days ago. In Australia we have ‘medical Only’ or ‘full comprehensive’ travel insurance. I always pay extra to ensure I have “unlimited” cancellation within the policy but that simply means I’ll be reimbursed the entire amount I’ve invested rather than be capped at say $2000, $5000 ect. I just googled ‘cancel for any reason‘ travel insurance and it does appear that one insurer introduced it in Australia about 18 months ago so it looks like it may now be an option. I’ve definitely learnt something new from this experience and will absolutely be switching insurers and looking at purchasing that next time if it’s still available here. Seems to be a very new concept here in Australia. My husband and I did joke about one of us breaking our leg in the next two weeks to claim on our cover (it was only a joke!) but our minds had turned that way hahaha. 

It is interesting how different products and protections are available around the globe.

 

I cannot bring myself to wish you a broken leg....if you promise to recover well, maybe I could bring myself to wish you a sinus infection that might preclude flying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passengers on Genting's World Dream moored at Hong Kong has been released early Sunday morning, cleared along with the crew - after her return to its home port on a short 4 day cruise.  Earlier press reports stated they're not expected to be given the all clear until next Tuesday, pending test results as a number had been illed - no followup or self-monitoring.  About 1,600 passengers are HK residents with less than 200 from elsewhere - cruiseline providing help with booking hotel and rebooking flight arrangemenet.  World Cruises has cancelled their subsequent sailings from HK until further notices.  The news made on Singpapore's StratsTimes, a English language newspaper - https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/thousands-from-cruise-ship-in-hong-kong-freed-after-virus-tests 

 

Presumably, Celebrity Millenium can dock in Singapore as planned.  Meanwhile, let's see if the Norwegian Jade can stop at and dock in Cambodia (it's aready Monday morning, local time) & later this week on its Vietnam port stops (shipcam is "live").

 

Presumably, no CC'er onboard posting updates or news, live, semi-live or limited, maybe just urgent or critical alerts for the current, modified sailing. 

 

And, if the Jade does run into problems, let's hope that they can be assisted and treated as nicely as they can be, like those onboard the Diamond Princess under quarantine in Japanese water ... (whether NCL has and will go above & beyond ... each of us decide for ourself.) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

 Does the typical trip insurance cover fees associated with change in port location. Who covers the cost of changing airfare?

 

5 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Cancel for any reason insurance is typically much more expensive than standard insurance.  That type of insurance is appropriate for people who think they may change their mind "for reasons which are within their own life events".   For example they may own a business, and something comes up, and they can't be away from work.  Or maybe they're not sure if they booked the perfect holiday, and they want the option to cancel just in case something better comes up.  

 

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that somebody would need this type of insurance because a they feel that their cruise is "not safe".  That they are worried that they might be quarantined for several weeks and miss work.  That they might catch a rampant virus.  That a crazy cruise line will not give them the option to cancel for future cruise credit and is basically forcing them to do something that many people, feel is unsafe. 

I think some regular trip insurance does come with “trip interruption” coverage which would cover the costs of flying to a new port, or allowing the insured a refund. Cancel for any reason insurance definitely covers a port change, it would pay for your airfare costs or refund your money if you decide you don’t want to go to the new port.

 

Cancel for any reason insurance is more expensive than regular insurance, but a lot of factors come into play to determine how much more expensive. I paid $251 total for 2 people for cancel for any reason, which was about $100+/- total more than regular trip insurance. The cancel-for-any-reason portion is specifically for those “never did I imagine” scenarios, as well as “I just don’t feel like going anymore.” For me, it was more about covering all the reasons that aren’t listed in the regular insurance.

 

For example, regular insurance covers you only in the event that you have a medically documented “covered” reason, a death in your immediate family, a job loss (not that you quit or changed jobs but that your lost your job), you have jury duty, your house becomes uninhabitable due to fire or flood etc. Those reasons are unlikely to happen to most people, but the likelihood that I come down with a cold, a close friend or family member schedules a wedding I don’t want to miss, or some other reason comes up that makes me simply not want to go anymore, is much more likely. With CFAR insurance, I can just cancel, no need for doctors notes or proof that I was laid off. 

 

The covered reasons under regular trip insurance were too limited for me, that’s why I went with CFAR. Now I’m glad I did because I have an Asia cruise booked and depending on how things pan out, I may want to cancel, and because of CFAR insurance, I can. 

 

Here is a screenshot of the items covered under my CFAR policy.

 

 

66CE2A3F-4149-4303-A1D3-D1B47147E557.png

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ARandomTraveler Wouldn't regular trip insurance cover not going because of a cold as long as the Dr completed the form that you must provide to cancel because of illness? Colds are contagious. The cruise line health form even asks if you have has a runny nose in the past X days. Runny nose is a common cold sympton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MoniMommy said:

@ARandomTraveler Wouldn't regular trip insurance cover not going because of a cold as long as the Dr completed the form that you must provide to cancel because of illness? Colds are contagious. The cruise line health form even asks if you have has a runny nose in the past X days. Runny nose is a common cold sympton.

I don’t think colds are covered, but I could be wrong. I think it has to be a major medical reason, one that prevents you from traveling (surgery, heart attack, pregnancy), whereas a cold just makes travel unpleasant, but does not put you at risk. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure colds are not covered under regular insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debshomespun said:


Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial analysis,[c] advocating what CNN Business called an anti-establishment and conspiratorial worldview, and which has been associated with alt-right views,[4][11] and a pro-Russian bias.[12][13][14] Other sources describe Zero Hedge as libertarian.[3][4] Zero Hedge's non-financial commentary has led to a number of Site bans by various global social media platforms, some of which have been overturned (e.g. 2019 Facebook ban),[15] while others remain (e.g. 2020 Twitter ban).[4]

 

Edited by perditax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...