Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fly Fast Cruise Slow

Mo’orea: Crystal Serenity Arrival

What a treat to wake up and watch Crystal Serenity arrive into Mo’orea this morning from our overwater bungalow ahead of our embarkation tomorrow...

B175148E-3FE0-4DD6-A4AF-6D638BD54426.jpeg

0FB76619-EF92-402F-92E5-4676815A004A.jpeg

CFE48490-06A1-4CC5-9CA6-990987C5FBB4.jpeg

D5A2BC3E-9157-4E98-BBE4-A2F3C96951A8.jpeg

B4BEF6AA-0AC9-4C1A-BCCB-EBF06CF95BBD.jpeg

A7DCFA1E-AFFC-4082-B798-8D7A2E26545A.jpeg

What an amazing preview!  Are you at the Hilton?

I LOVE Mo'orea.  I only allow myself to have one travel picture I've taken in my office at a time, and for years now it's been from Mo'orea.

Bon Voyage to you and Shirin!

Vince

Thanks so much, Vince & Nancy! Yes, we are at the Hilton and taking the ferry back to Papeete tomorrow morning to board. Wish we could embark here - feels like we could almost swim over to the Serenity. It's been a good pre-cruise holiday. We did a few days in Auckland with friends who me met on Crystal. They got on the Silver Muse in Auckland (first time for them so interested to hear what they think) and we came over to Tahiti. Spent one very short night in Papeete at the Intercon - our flight was due to land at 12.30am but there were numerous delays and we only got to the hotel at 4.00am and left at 10.00am, totally wiped out! We arrived in Moorea to torrential downpour and howling winds which lasted for the first day and a half. Thought I would go out of my mind but thank heavens the weather improved and we're able to enjoy the glorious water. I was surprised to see more live coral and sea life here than in the Maldives. 

We can't wait to board tomorrow. Whilst the Hilton is in a great location in terms of natural beauty, the service, restaurants, general ambience of the public areas and food leave a lot to be desired. Maybe there has been a change of management as we had heard very good things about this property. Can't see myself rushing back and if we did we would probably try Bora Bora and the Four Seasons.

I'm so glad the weather improved at least a little bit for you all, but sorry for the lost time.  I went to Hayman Island a little over 20 years ago and I don't think I saw the sun once the whole week, until I got on the launch to leave the resort.  :classic_angry:  That said of course, I was only able to afford to stay there because of the time of year, so I knew what I was getting into and have no right to complain.

I'm glad you mentioned the water, because I was also amazed by the lagoon on Mo'orea!  It's really hard, because Bora Bora has such amazing resort facilities, but the lagoon itself just felt so much more impacted by human interaction when I was there.  A lot of the guides explained some of the challenges they have with not only direct human damage to the ecosystem, but also the impact of sunscreen and such on the lagoon ecosystem.  Bora Bora's water in the lagoon was still beautiful and full of incredible wildlife, but what I experienced on Mo'orea was mind blowing.

I've always wondered if I had to pick, would I rather stay at a nicer resort on Bora Bora, or stay at the InterCon on Mo'orea (which isn't as nice as almost anything on Bora Bora.)  I still haven't decided.

Thanks for the update on the Hilton...  I was on a catamaran excursion that left from the dock there last time, and of course anytime I walk through a resort I'm looking at the resort as if I'm doing a sourcing site inspection.  It was hard to read service though -- I didn't have any interaction with the staff at all.  It's always helpful to read the rest of the story.  :-)

31587117375_520def1b29_c.jpg.6e3198146ec21565d3b28324549b9553.jpg

31746723125_0c29c82a53_c.jpg.9e3e1f8a9d4c3b6950354fb4c4216e2f.jpg

Vince

Love love FP and Moorea. We like the Sofitel.

The Hilton is actively growing corals with special lights and the Bora Bora Thalasso has a coral growing program as well.

19 hours ago, Emdee said:

The Hilton is actively growing corals

Interesting. Yes, all of the coral in the lagoon at the Hilton, and I presume elsewhere around Mo’orea, had died at some point due to global warming and the unusually high water temperatures. It is really a shame to see what is happening around the world with the coral reefs, it is similar to the bushfires we are having in Australia, yet goes largely unseen/unnoticed  underwater. However, as you mention, there has been an amazing regeneration of the corals. Still a long way to go but really great to see it and the accompanying sea life that comes with it. Didn’t realize the Hilton was growing the coral, they are doing a great job with it and it is working. I saw this technique in the Maldives a few years ago where they cultivated the coral in a lab under lights and then transplanted it in the dead reefs.

For those that don’t know, it takes literally a few weeks for coral to bleach and die at just a 1 degree variance in water temperature and 20-30 years to fully regenerate. Big problem.

1 hour ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

Interesting. Yes, all of the coral in the lagoon at the Hilton, and I presume elsewhere around Mo’orea, had died at some point due to global warming and the unusually high water temperatures. It is really a shame to see what is happening around the world with the coral reefs, it is similar to the bushfires we are having in Australia, yet goes largely unseen/unnoticed  underwater. However, as you mention, there has been an amazing regeneration of the corals. Still a long way to go but really great to see it and the accompanying sea life that comes with it. Didn’t realize the Hilton was growing the coral, they are doing a great job with it and it is working. I saw this technique in the Maldives a few years ago where they cultivated the coral in a lab under lights and then transplanted it in the dead reefs.

For those that don’t know, it takes literally a few weeks for coral to bleach and die at just a 1 degree variance in water temperature and 20-30 years to fully regenerate. Big problem.

I think the problem in FP was crown of thorns. Hilton is also using lights to regenerate the coral.