Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
JayMo

Help me choose - Breeze or Horizon

Recommended Posts

After doing all the research that I could, I need your help deciding on a cruise. 

 

Option 1: 

6 Day Western Caribbean from Miami on Carnival Horizon

Ports of Call - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

 

Option 2:

7 Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral on Carnival Breeze

Ports of Call - Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

 

Price difference is around $250 with Option 2 being the more expensive option...but we also live in Orlando, so it's a quick drive to the port. Both ships look similar from what I can tell, but still having trouble deciding between the two. Ocho Rios has an excursion we would love to do, but I would also love another trip down to St. Thomas. 1 ship leaves a day after the other, so timing isn't an issue. We haven't been on either ships, or sailed on something this new yet 😀 so I feel like we can't go wrong with either choice, just wanted to see WWCCD (What Would Cruise Critic Do). 

 

Help a girl out, please?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would choose option 2. Although I haven’t cruised on the Horizon, I have cruised on the Vista and Panorama. I have also cruised on the Breeze.

 

I prefer the Breeze, prefer 7 days, and prefer the itinerary. St Thomas is one of my favorite places to visit. 
 

The ships are similar when it comes to shows, but the theater in the Horizon (if set up like the Vista) Is not good. It’s very hard to get a decent seat. Same with the comedy area. If the Horizon is set up like the Panorama, then the buffet area is much better. If it has the new elevator system, that’s a plus.

 

It really comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer the Vista class and some don’t. The Breeze just happens to be my personal favorite ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you can wrangle a Havana Lanai or Havana Balcony on the Horizon,  Breeze Balcony mid ships deck 7 or 8 or a cove balcony.  better itinerary too

Edited by crewsweeper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Unless you can wrangle a Havana Lanai or Havana Balcony on the Horizon,  Breeze Balcony mid ships deck 7 or 8 or a cove balcony.  better itinerary too

Agree on all counts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horizon Havana inside cabin.  No need to pay extra for an aft balcony or lanai when you can chill in the Havana area kid free.  Also no adult soup like the pools on the Breeze.  And 2 large kid free hot tubs.

Did I mention the Havana area is kid free?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the responses and helping me out!
 

We ended up booking the Breeze!! We’re so excited - let the countdown begin!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I prefer the Breeze, prefer 7 days, and prefer the itinerary. St Thomas is one of my favorite places to visit. 
 

 

I am booked on the Breeze this summer. St. Thomas confuses me. This will be my first time visiting and I've read several people mention how much they like St. Thomas. This is the only port where we plan to do an excursion as I don't see a lot to do otherwise. What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Normie22 said:

I am booked on the Breeze this summer. St. Thomas confuses me. This will be my first time visiting and I've read several people mention how much they like St. Thomas. This is the only port where we plan to do an excursion as I don't see a lot to do otherwise. What am I missing?

it was just a place where I have always remembered because it's so beautiful. I remember going on a tour and we stopped near a lookout. I looked out over the ocean  and could see the beautiful water and other islands. It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. So, for me it wasn't because of an excursion. I thought it was amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

it was just a place where I have always remembered because it's so beautiful. I remember going on a tour and we stopped near a lookout. I looked out over the ocean  and could see the beautiful water and other islands. It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. So, for me it wasn't because of an excursion. I thought it was amazing.

Beautiful sentiment, thank you for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, JayMo said:

After doing all the research that I could, I need your help deciding on a cruise. 

 

Option 1: 

6 Day Western Caribbean from Miami on Carnival Horizon

Ports of Call - Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

 

Option 2:

7 Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral on Carnival Breeze

Ports of Call - Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

 

Price difference is around $250 with Option 2 being the more expensive option...but we also live in Orlando, so it's a quick drive to the port. Both ships look similar from what I can tell, but still having trouble deciding between the two. Ocho Rios has an excursion we would love to do, but I would also love another trip down to St. Thomas. 1 ship leaves a day after the other, so timing isn't an issue. We haven't been on either ships, or sailed on something this new yet 😀 so I feel like we can't go wrong with either choice, just wanted to see WWCCD (What Would Cruise Critic Do). 

 

Help a girl out, please?!

Hey JayMo!

 

Hubby and I were in the exact same predicament as you. We chose the Horizon because we haven't been on anything this new and the Price Was Right!! I also happen to LOVE St. Thomas and going out of Port Canaveral is Easy Peasy. We have another couple, our best friends who have never cruised before, coming along with us as well and they wanted to go to Jamaica really bad. Don't get me wrong, I too love Jamaica but I was hoping they would want 7 days verses 6 days but I want them to have the Best Time Ever and fall in love with cruising so I let them win out. And DH and I get to see things from Cruise Newbies Eyes. We are going down to Miami 2 days ahead of the cruise so we'll still be gone for a week! YAY!

 

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by MzOhioLady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MzOhioLady we almost did the same thing and was going to spend a few days in Miami before the Horizon.

Have so much fun on your cruise!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest the Horizon.  We just got off the Breeze a couple weeks ago from the 14 day Journey's trip, she is needing a dry dock for a refresh, last I knew that was not scheduled until the fall of 2021.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...