Daily newspapers really gone?

knippsel

3 hours ago, comcox said:

Yes but they still fill your cabin with printed ads for the spa and shops everyday so it really is hypocrisy.

That’s not HAL; it’s ancillary services.  It’s probably within their contract that they have the right to advertise.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, ger_77 said:

We were on the Nieuw Statendam January 5 - 19 and were unable to get paper copies of any newspapers.  We checked with Guest Services who directed me to use the Navigator App. . . .  🙂

I don’t like hearing that.  When I was aboard her last summer, I asked at the Front Office and they had the NYT and daily puzzle sent to my stateroom each day.  Perhaps if enough of us do what you did and make a comment about it, they might listen and bring it back.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I don’t like hearing that.  When I was aboard her last summer, I asked at the Front Office and they had the NYT and daily puzzle sent to my stateroom each day.  Perhaps if enough of us do what you did and make a comment about it, they might listen and bring it back.

For people ,like me,   who go through daily life without a smart phone

, Navigator app is not available

THAT is not a viable option  for all guests, unless they  provide us with a ' method ' to access their navigator  App.

Horror of horrors, I still have a land line and a flip style cell phone for emergency use, only.  No one has that number.and I never have it  turned on.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

That’s not HAL; it’s ancillary services.  It’s probably within their contract that they have the right to advertise.

And, why could that be negotiated out of their vendor contracts?  That is IF HAL is REALLY that committed to their "Green Direction".

6 hours ago, sail7seas said:

THAT is not a viable option  for all guests, unless they  provide us with a ' method ' to access their navigator  App.

Horror of horrors, I still have a land line and a flip style cell phone for emergency use, only.  No one has that number.and I never have it  turned on.

Speak to a Front Office staff member about one not having a device to access the App, as I did on Eurodam in January, you will be told that they will take you to a computer in the "Business Center" and help you set up an account.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Speak to a Front Office staff member about one not having a device to access the App, as I did on Eurodam in January, you will be told that they will take you to a computer in the "Business Center" and help you set up an account.

Good idea.  I'll have a chat with the concierge  ..  If  I wanted a smart phone, I'd buy one as I suppose all would.    I used to travel with a microsoft  (surface ?),  light weight I always bought a wifi package.  BUT, I gave it away.    I suppose  maybe   I could use the laptop  in Neptune Lounge?

Edited by sail7seas

On 2/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

I agree with your opinion.  Music Walk is enjoyable.  Enough is enough at times.  I am almost sure that HAL's connection with New York Times is ending.  The new firm whose printed newspaper on the Volendam was available in a variety of languages was superior to what had been made available. 

Re:  Production shows--Someone in Seattle are seriously wrong that all ages of guests do not enjoy these production shows.  Having sailed on MSC Meraviglia between my Volendam and Eurodam cruises, the Theater Production shows--even the last show of the night--were packed with guests.  The ages attending included the 20 somethings along with this dinosaur cruising age guest among others of my demographic.  

Agree on MSC, great shows that are always packed plus entertainment in all the lounges and the atrium.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I am not privy to HAL’s legal obligations.

Well, of course by a very few,  if any, I suspect on this Message Board, are privy of any such legal obligations.  Being the cynic that I have become due to  my experience on our Planet, I really think that much of this corporate "concern" by any and all corporations about the good of our Planet's environment is little more than "marketing hype" designed to promote that corporations "bottom line".

15 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Please turn on your cell phone. It's not just for your emergencies, but your families as well. My sister in law missed seeing her father before he passed because she didn't have her cell phone on.  Just don;t give out your number to those you don't want to.

L.

• Like 1

I was on the N Statendam in November and the NY Times was gone in favor of an internal publication that gave news summaries. I did here they were doing away with paper News publications in favor of on line communications or aps.

7 minutes ago, White123 said:

On Veendam in Jan they had copies.  You had to go to the front desk and line up to get it.   I had us and Canadian papers

I hope that continues!  We enjoy sitting on deck, reading the news from both countries.  One for each of us, then we swap.  And enjoy the morning sun and some coffee.  A little pleasure we don't get at home.

• Like 2

Just off the Nieuw Statendam on Sunday and there were no News papers.  Front desk would not print a copy for DH.  Was told to use the navigator app.  Problem was the app is very glitchy and would not properly update each day to show the current days news.  Each day DH had to go to front desk to have them fix his app in order to read the news.  He was NOT happy as this was a big inconvenience to go to the desk every day to fix the glitchy app.  Front desk refused to print one copy for him stating they no longer were printing any copies for guests.  Only available to read on the navigator App.  Said they were saving paper.  Really silly as the amount of sales garbage that is printed daily and put in your stateroom. They could really save money by stop printing all that junk.

8 hours ago, margar said:

Said they were saving paper.  Really silly as the amount of sales garbage that is printed daily and put in your stateroom. They could really save money by stop printing all that junk.

Perhaps, they could save money but maybe not.  The enterprises that print those advertisements give a sales kick back to HAL.  Less advertising, fewer sales, smaller kickback.  How does that save money?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, margar said:

Just off the Nieuw Statendam on Sunday and there were no News papers...Said they were saving paper.  Really silly as the amount of sales garbage that is printed daily and put in your stateroom....

Back in June aboard the Nieuw Statendam, during one of the demos for America’s Test Kitchen, they didn’t distribute recipe cards and also said it was because they were trying out “saving paper”.  That didn’t sit well with the packed house who had come for ATK, in light of all the other paper ads being delivered to our staterooms.

Edited by syesmar

Very sorry to hear that the little newspapers are out or on their way out.  We loved picking up the CDN, UK AND US papers; going to the dining room and reading them while waiting for our breakfast to be served and then discussing content over our meal.  Also enjoyed the recipe cards in the ATK.

As far as saving paper, what a joke.  When they stop littering my cabin with ads which are immediately put into the circular file then I will believe they are concerned about the planet!

• Like 1

I understand your point RocketMan about the advertising providing a  % to Hal, I get that.  I do think that the amount of garbage / junk mail that was delivered this time around was a bit less than usual.  However it still arrived and pretty much went directly in the recycle bin in our cabin.  However, I really do think HAL should rethink this policy of not printing the daily news for a guest.  Even if they only agree to print the guest a copy of their stated Country,  it would be a vast improvement over refusing to even print 1 copy for a guest who is unable to read it on their smartphone.  Especially as the inability to read the daily news is due to HAL’s inability to program the app to work better.  Not every guest is able to read the news on their smartphone.  And that could be for many reasons: old smartphone, too small of font, guest inability to deal with technology, etc.

Just keep it simple and print a copy if a guest is unhappy and unable to read it on their phone.

We were in Club Orange this time around and every morning DH went back to the CO host and had to have her “fix” his phone to update to that day’s news.  Granted the CO host was very kind, but she stated HAL was no longer printing copies and she had no way to do so.  I know that to some people reading this will think how silly it’s just the days news and your on vacation.  But personally, I don't think that is the issue.  I think the bigger issue is assisting a guest and making their experience on the ship even more pleasant.  Especially with such a easy request that be be handled very simply.  Customer service goes a long way and will be remembered.

17 minutes ago, margar said:

I understand your point RocketMan about the advertising providing a  % to Hal, I get that.  I do think that the amount of garbage / junk mail that was delivered this time around was a bit less than usual.  However it still arrived and pretty much went directly in the recycle bin in our cabin.  However, I really do think HAL should rethink this policy of not printing the daily news for a guest.  Even if they only agree to print the guest a copy of their stated Country,  it would be a vast improvement over refusing to even print 1 copy for a guest who is unable to read it on their smartphone.  Especially as the inability to read the daily news is due to HAL’s inability to program the app to work better.  Not every guest is able to read the news on their smartphone.  And that could be for many reasons: old smartphone, too small of font, guest inability to deal with technology, etc.

Just keep it simple and print a copy if a guest is unhappy and unable to read it on their phone.

We were in Club Orange this time around and every morning DH went back to the CO host and had to have her “fix” his phone to update to that day’s news.  Granted the CO host was very kind, but she stated HAL was no longer printing copies and she had no way to do so.  I know that to some people reading this will think how silly it’s just the days news and your on vacation.  But personally, I don't think that is the issue.  I think the bigger issue is assisting a guest and making their experience on the ship even more pleasant.  Especially with such a easy request that be be handled very simply.  Customer service goes a long way and will be remembered.

I would suggest you write a letter to the President and express this.  I agree.  It's one thing for them to print a thousand copies and throw 990 of them away.  Quite another for them to refuse individual requests, particularly if their app isn't functioning properly. 

I love the convenience of an app but my gripe about it on my last trip was that the events listing often didn't match the printed daily.  In at least a couple of cases, the events staff were relying on the app and didn't show up on time for scheduled events that had a room full of people waiting for them.  I'm not sure why it is so difficult for one system to complement the other (this happens on Celebrity, too).