Daily newspapers really gone?

knippsel

My favorite part of cruising is throwing my phone in the safe and not touching it. I also enjoy seeing people interact with each other around the ship and not burying their face in their phone. Each year, I'm seeing more and more people with their phones on the ship. This won't keep me from cruising, but it is disappointing to see.

If they want me to read them on my phone, then I won't read them. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 510picker said:

My favorite part of cruising is throwing my phone in the safe and not touching it. I also enjoy seeing people interact with each other around the ship and not burying their face in their phone. Each year, I'm seeing more and more people with their phones on the ship. This won't keep me from cruising, but it is disappointing to see.

If they want me to read them on my phone, then I won't read them. 

I agree 100%.  Likewise, I tend to not use my phone on a vacation, as I get enough news at home, I want to escape it on a cruise.  I would love to have a cruise where no one could call or text or whatever until they were in a port.

2 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

I agree 100%.  Likewise, I tend to not use my phone on a vacation, as I get enough news at home, I want to escape it on a cruise.  I would love to have a cruise where no one could call or text or whatever until they were in a port.

And I agree with your comment 100%, but I also know there are certain circumstances where people need to stay in touch and a phone-free cruise will never exist. Phones will no doubt continue to be more and more prevalent as time goes on. People want them and cruise lines will provide the service as technology continues to advance. It will be a sad day, at least for me, if cruising gets to the point of people staring at their phones during dinner, just as they do in land-based restaurants.

The only way to get the printed news digests back is to write Orlando directly.  I have done so and hope you will too.  It will take many, many letters.

I just received my response.  It was pretty much hogwash that covered a whole page.  And they are really sticking to that environmental excuse instead of the real one, which is probably that they didn't want to pay the franchise fee to a paper and let their contract with the NY Times expire.

2 minutes ago, poinsettiaplate said:

The only way to get the printed news digests back is to write Orlando directly.  I have done so and hope you will too.  It will take many, many letters.

I just received my response.  It was pretty much hogwash that covered a whole page.  And they are really sticking to that environmental excuse instead of the real one, which is probably that they didn't want to pay the franchise fee to a paper and let their contract with the NY Times expire.

"Sticking to an environmental excuse.." is, I believe, because HAL is under the Carnival Corporation umbrella and that is a Corporate priority.  Mr. Ashford et al has to "dance to the tune" of what Miami dictates.  

What my previous post does not explain is why in December/January a printed newspaper, no longer connected with the NY Times, was available, but was from a superior news source when I sailed on the Volendam.  Yet, 10 days later, on the Eurodam, not available except in a digital format.  

I don't disagree that writing Mr. Ashford is a bad idea.  Do it.  If one is a Carnival Corporation shareholder, and you really care about this issue, it's time to "go up the chain of command.  Letters directed to the Lead Director of Carnival Corporation's Board of Directors do get noticed.  Including copies of letters sent to the appropriate Senior Vice-Presidents of both HAL and Carnival Corporation gain attention.  Perhaps stating in such communications that such a minor issue as providing guests with a daily newspaper is a very minor part of the total concern that the Corporation correctly has in protecting our environment will make an impact...on someone...to re-think this decision to do away with daily newspapers.

The argument that the "news" is on the new interactive TV's or via their App makes me wonder if HAL's guests who pick-up daily newspapers in their language, German, etc., how does this work?  I haven't seen on my TV an option for a news program in German, etc. 

I’m guessing if they want German news they can sail on Aida.

I am in full support of the decision to eliminate the printing of news digests.  If there are those who wish a printed copy perhaps they can get one for a nominal fee, just like they would pay for a newspaper delivery at home.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

If there are those who wish a printed copy perhaps they can get one for a nominal fee, just like they would pay for a newspaper delivery at home.

I'd be willing to do so if that option was available--as long as the paper was delivered directly to my stateroom.  

Otherwise, the lack of a printed newspaper is not much more as being "politically correct" and trying to be perceived as being a "Green Company".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Otherwise, the lack of a printed newspaper is not much more as being "politically correct" and trying to be perceived as being a "Green Company".

Posters complain bitterly about the waste of paper unless it is something they want.  

I am of the mindset that every little bit helps. 

HAL can’t win for losing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Posters complain bitterly about the waste of paper unless it is something they want.  

I am of the mindset that every little bit helps. 

HAL can’t win for losing.

Really, I don't disagree with you.  In this polarized political age in which we live, whatever a company does is not going to "sit well" with a part of their patrons.

My opinion:  decisions on guest experiences and services ought to be made on what is in the best interest for the guest.  It has become that there are so many "other behind the scene issues" that have come into play that have nothing to do with "Signature of Excellence" et al "advertising slogans--many of which set HAL apart from other cruise lines--that whenever I embark on a HAL vessel, I wonder:  what cruise experience will this be?

Thankfully, the one constant of the HAL cruise experience is the crew.  Years ago, someone made the decision to hire Indonesian and Filipino crew members as the primary service crew.  These nationalities of folks provide excellent service.  I have experienced such service on Princess, Carnival, and most recently in MSC Meraviglia's Yacht Club's stateroom service, the YC Restaurant, as well as in other Lounges on the Meraviglia.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

While on the Zuiderdam in January,  newspapers were readily available by the reception desk and Lido Market.  That said, while enjoying room service breakfast one morning, I wished I had the newspaper.

Since I was in my pj's, I wasn't going to the reception desk to fetch one. 

And then I had this idea:  what if on the breakfast room service menu, there was an option to have a newspaper brought with your breakfast ? Just check the little box for YES I'd like a newspaper, and then check the option for preferred language. 

Hang on the door handle as usual before retiring, and voila, the next morning, there's the newspaper on the tray with your muffins and juice.   

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

While on the Zuiderdam in January,  newspapers were readily available by the reception desk and Lido Market.  That said, while enjoying room service breakfast one morning, I wished I had the newspaper.

Since I was in my pj's, I wasn't going to the reception desk to fetch one. 

And then I had this idea:  what if on the breakfast room service menu, there was an option to have a newspaper brought with your breakfast ? Just check the little box for YES I'd like a newspaper, and then check the option for preferred language. 

Hang on the door handle as usual before retiring, and voila, the next morning, there's the newspaper on the tray with your muffins and juice.   

What a great suggestion.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

I've written to him myself before--about the removal of libraries and the loss of lecturers--and I, too, got a BS answer.  I've pretty much given up.

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion:  decisions on guest experiences and services ought to be made on what is in the best interest for the guest.  It has become that there are so many "other behind the scene issues" that have come into play that have nothing to do with "Signature of Excellence" et al "advertising slogans--many of which set HAL apart from other cruise lines--that whenever I embark on a HAL vessel, I wonder:  what cruise experience will this be?

Only the guest can determine what is in their best interest.  It's really none of the cruise lines business.

So many of these issues are nothing more than 'virtue signalling'.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, ehogan said:

Very sorry to hear that the little newspapers are out or on their way out.  We loved picking up the CDN, UK AND US papers; going to the dining room and reading them while waiting for our breakfast to be served and then discussing content over our meal.  Also enjoyed the recipe cards in the ATK.

As far as saving paper, what a joke.  When they stop littering my cabin with ads which are immediately put into the circular file then I will believe they are concerned about the planet!

This is really sad to hear. I loved getting all the English Language (US, CAD, UK & AUS) papers each day on a cruise for casual reading during the cruise. On embarkation day I would always stop by the Front Desk and ask that all be delivered to our stateroom. Then I could stick them into my walk around bag and read that at my leisure. One thing I really liked was seeing how the same world event was reported in each country. It gave a nice perspective on things. 

While I read news online at home using a large monitor, I don't really like to read articles on my phone. Nor do I drag my cell phone around on the ship. I'm on vacation and like to be a little detached and disconnected at that time. 

• Like 1

Just off the Veendam a week ago and DH used to get the daily condensed NY Times on paper at Guest Services.

The Veendam has a wonderful, huge library while we only saw a nothing library (couldn't take anything back to the cabin) on the Koningsdam in January. DH ran out of books to read on the 10-day voyage and there were 4 paperbacks - 3 in German and 1 in English. He did take the English one and left it in the cabin.

We only have our one cell phone on during our annual 3-day each drives up/back to vacation in northern WI. We have it on while up there as our lake cabin doesn't have a phone. Otherwise, it's turned off and in my purse in case of an emergency. We use our land line at home.

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

The Veendam has a wonderful, huge library while we only saw a nothing library (couldn't take anything back to the cabin) on the Koningsdam in January. DH ran out of books to read on the 10-day voyage and there were 4 paperbacks - 3 in German and 1 in English. He did take the English one and left it in the cabin.

that’s one of the pluses of the smaller ships.  They kept their libraries as they were in a different area.

They offer less in the way of bells and whistles but they have pretty nice libraries.

It’s a plus for the smaller ships for me.  Thanks to CC, I know what to expect on the Vista class and I am taking a few paperbacks and have downloaded a couple of books to our IPads.

Regrettably, there is someone at the CORPORATE level who's job is to $Monetize$ everything at every opportunity. ie 'Let's Get Rid of the Library and get em' to sign up for $Internet$. 'Let's call THOSE tables $'Club Orange'$.etc etc. ad infinitum... I suppose if I don't like it I can leave. Indeed irritating.

28 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Regrettably, there is someone at the CORPORATE level who's job is to $Monetize$ everything at every opportunity. ie 'Let's Get Rid of the Library and get em' to sign up for $Internet$. 'Let's call THOSE tables $'Club Orange'$.etc etc. ad infinitum... I suppose if I don't like it I can leave. Indeed irritating.

Your POINT !might! have been +clearer+ without THE $bling$.

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

So many of these issues are nothing more than 'virtue signalling'.

I'm not completely clear by this statement.  If I understand your comment properly, why would I select a cruise based upon how "virtuous" the cruise line is in "whatever category" that concerns me?

Just got a note from Holland that they will not be on the Rotterdam.  There is no way my parents could read it on a phone or kindle.  Its a shame because I got them a balcony and my did love to read  his morning paper with his coffee on the balcony.  Have to make sure to pack him some good books.  

Such a shame.  Hope they done  stuff my mailbox full of ads.

As someone suggested on another thread why not copy most every hotel in the world and offer a selection of best seller paperback books AND a printed version of some sort of newspaper for sale in the gift shop?   It would not take very long to measure demand and stock books and print papers accordingly.

I do enjoy reading a paper at breakfast, even the little ones that HAL gives/gave for free. 

If HAL is too cheap or too concerned with "wasted paper" perhaps by selling them it would make the bean counters,.who of course are  the real reason for eliminating libraries and newspapers, happy as it would be yet another nickle diming source of revenues.

Win win for those who like paper books and paper newspapers and bean counters who like to squeeze a few extra bucks out of passengers.

This really makes me mad.  I loved to read The Canadian, New York Times and the occasional Spanish paper (I'm trying to learn spanish) in my cabin and/or out in the deck chair.  I guess I'll buy the Vancouver paper before boarding the ship this May and try to find on one in each port.  Shame on your HAL.  Shame.