Daily newspapers really gone?

knippsel

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

This really makes me mad.  I loved to read The Canadian, New York Times and the occasional Spanish paper (I'm trying to learn spanish) in my cabin and/or out in the deck chair.  I guess I'll buy the Vancouver paper before boarding the ship this May and try to find on one in each port.  Shame on your HAL.  Shame. 

That's what I plan to do one our cruises from now on.  Tedious to say the least. In some ports it may take some time to find anything in English.

Anyone know if HAL plans to put the Daily Program exclusively on the app?  

I was on the Nieuw Statendam this month and yes, it is exclusively on the Navigator App.  That is where a guest can read the news.  It is offered from several countries, but can ONLY be read on the app.  Guest Services definitely will not print out any copy for a guest.  You have to read on your Navigator App.  Which by the way, does not work well many times so you have no access to the news at those times.  When the app works it is ok, if your eye sight is good and you enjoy reading things on a small screen.  Which I personally do not 😞

55 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Anyone know if HAL plans to put the Daily Program exclusively on the app?  

I hope not! Not everyone uses a smart phone. Some of those who do, don't want to carry it around all the time. 
There is still a place for low tech in this world, and the newspaper and daily program on the ship are two of them. 

• Like 2

I'm so disappointed to read this. Last month, I enjoyed the three English news papers every day. Their app is so glitchy, I gave up using it even just to check the When and Where. It was useless. It was the same on the Nieuw Statendam in October.  My hubby does NO computer/tablet based activities whatsoever. This is such a disservice to those of us who look forward to that little piece of home when we are on the ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I hope not! Not everyone uses a smart phone. Some of those who do, don't want to carry it around all the time. 
There is still a place for low tech in this world, and the newspaper and daily program on the ship are two of them. 

Even if you do carry your smart phone around on the ship and you are willing to read the news in the app, it wasn't available any of the numerous times I attempted to read it during our last cruise. Technology and HAL meet again.

Methinks KINDLE, Internet and all this fuss about germs etc spelled the end. This past week I was in Quito, Ecuador. Nary a newspaper to be seen on Streetcorners or Tobacco shops, none; but Mexico had some. Myself, I bring a KINDLE.. so 'Guilty as Charged.'

As a YC Guest on MSC Meraviglia when I embarked in Miami on January 5th, I was given a choice of newspapers to be delivered to my stateroom.  I don't recall all of the choices, but among them were The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, USA Today. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, margar said:

I was on the Nieuw Statendam this month and yes, it is exclusively on the Navigator App.  That is where a guest can read the news.  It is offered from several countries, but can ONLY be read on the app.  Guest Services definitely will not print out any copy for a guest.  You have to read on your Navigator App.  Which by the way, does not work well many times so you have no access to the news at those times.  When the app works it is ok, if your eye sight is good and you enjoy reading things on a small screen.  Which I personally do not 😞

I do not have, do not want a smart phone but  will find a way when on the ship to see/read the news on  a piece of paper.  Let them know when you are displeased or  dissatisfied with something t hat is  Easy to correct .  Coming here and grumbling is a good start but not far enough..

If anyone gives a hoot,  I'll let you know what happens after my cruise  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

I do not have, do not want a smart phone but  will find a way when on the ship to see/read the news on  a piece of paper.  Let them know when you are displeased or  dissatisfied with something t hat is  Easy to correct .  Coming here and grumbling is a good start but not far enough..

If anyone gives a hoot,  I'll let you know what happens after my cruise  🙂

Let us know what happens.  Maybe you will have better luck.  

Hope your experience is better than mine and DH was on the NS earlier this month.  Went to the Club Orange guest services person almost every morning to complain about the app not working and unable to read the news.  Each time told definitively NO as far as getting a paper copy of the news.  No paper copies.  It is provided free on the app and that was all they could do for us.  Told to use the app.  Even though it was not working correctly and was very glitchy. Hope you have better luck on the HAL ship you will be on.  Maybe that ship will still provide it.  I hope so!

Edited by margar

This is sad.  We always have room service breakfast, and before it's delivered, I pop along to Guest Services and pick up the papers.  Often, the Canadian is not out yet, but they print me one.  We read the Times, the Canadian and the British one over breakfast.  The last cruise was in July, and it sounds like I won't be able to do this on my next cruise.  HAL just keeps trimming away at all the simple things I love about their ships.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Given your status/experience with HAL, I "give a hoot" and would appreciate learning what you are able to experience.

hanks,  "rka,"  I will make  all reasonable effort t o get a paper I can hold and read      

Maybe I'll start a poll to ask if any on here think i'll be successful in my efforts to get a news 

digest on   paper.      

the growing number of  things  HAL has eliminated this one really makes me shake my head.     I'd love o learn which 'genius' thought  it a good idea.  😕

Edited by sail7seas

46 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

the growing number of  things  HAL has eliminated this one really makes me shake my head.     

Changes take place and I have come to accept this,  even if I don't care for the change.

I find that some changes have been positive, even enjoyable.  But, it seems like some of the "small changes", i.e. Royal Dutch Tea, no stir sticks for one's drink, a reduction in the Room Service Breakfast "standard" menu, etc.:  it's those kinds of things that those of us who have sailed HAL since 1970 (if not before), noticeably miss.  

No "stir sticks"?  No printed daily newspaper?  It's being done because it is now politically correct to do so.  OCEANS ALIVE is the name of the environmental program that HAL has adopted.  Why?  Because showing evidence that CCL is environmentally concerned is a good marketing thing to do.  (And, in the interest of all who live on this good planet Earth, it is the proper thing to do.)  

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I prefer the little coffee spoons they provide vs stir sticks.

Most recent sailings:  Volendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise just past and Eurodam's January 15th sailing.  As a regular patron of both ships Ocean Bar, I saw no coffee spoons offered for mixed drinks.  The small spoons were served--occasionally--for some of the appetizers served in the small glasses.

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Most recent sailings:  Volendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise just past and Eurodam's January 15th sailing.  As a regular patron of both ships Ocean Bar, I saw no coffee spoons offered for mixed drinks.  The small spoons were served--occasionally--for some of the appetizers served in the small glasses.

Oh sorry.  I don’t usually order mixed drinks so automatically thought “coffee”.  Never mind.

22 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I will miss the morning papers during my breakfast.  But it is probably better for me to walk the deck than dine on pastries.  

assuming that your ship hasn't eliminated the walking decks.....

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dockman said:

assuming that your ship hasn't eliminated the walking decks.....

Well.. The Teak Promenade Decks of old are fading from the scene as we speak.. Sellable space, don't ya know. But to reflect on how things have changed aboard ship re: Newspapers and 'Apps'; my kids (34&32) have never ever owned a TV nor subscribed to a paper newspaper and are doing quite well with their lives. Hmm.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No "stir sticks"?  No printed daily newspaper?  It's being done because it is now politically correct to do so.  OCEANS ALIVE is the name of the environmental program that HAL has adopted.  Why?  Because showing evidence that CCL is environmentally concerned is a good marketing thing to do.  (And, in the interest of all who live on this good planet Earth, it is the proper thing to do.)      

The question remains though, does that environmental program adopted by HAL actually accomplish anything significant for the 'good planet Earth"?  Or, is it just marketing? Or, perhaps using environmentalism to justify cost savings?

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1