Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually the laundry situation is a bit odd. The ship is allowed to wash dirty towels used by passengers but not allowed to wash their dirty clothes. Very strange indeed.

This just proves that it’s not always a good idea to pack lightly is not always a good idea. I guess people wouldn’t be getting that dirty being confined to cabins.

Edited by cruisine21

10 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

This just proves that it’s not always a good idea to pack lightly is not always a good idea. I guess people wouldn’t be getting that dirty being confined to cabins.

Always a good idea to pack lightly, as long as passengers have washing soap and portable clothes lines.  

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Always a good idea to pack lightly, as long as passengers have washing soap and portable clothes lines.  

The shower gel probably works as a laundry liquid at a pinch.

Also pack magnetic hooks to stick on the ceiling to run the clothes line between.

Inflatable hangers are great for drying tops as they are wide enough so the front and back fabric hangs freely instead of sticking together.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The shower gel probably works as a laundry liquid at a pinch.

Also pack magnetic hooks to stick on the ceiling to run the clothes line between.

Inflatable hangers are great for drying tops as they are wide enough so the front and back fabric hangs freely instead of sticking together.

Great suggestions.  You wouldn't be able to wash anything heavy as you need to be able to roll them in towels to remove excess moisture, before you get a fresh supply.

Are they providing fresh towels to the cabins, where people are confined?

Edited by MMDown Under

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Great suggestions.  You wouldn't be able to wash anything heavy as you need to be able to roll them in towels to remove excess moisture, before you get a fresh supply.

Are they providing fresh towels to the cabins, where people are confined?

Someone has reported that they are given clean towels if the used ones are left outside the cabins.

A summary from the latest update from David Abel on Saturday evening Japan time:

The ship has headed out to sea overnight to use the desalinators etc.

2 or 3 more passengers have been confirmed as having the virus - the official number that David has heard is two but media are reporting three. There has been no word whether the quarantine will be extended or not. 

More passengers have reported raised temperatures. Swabs have been taken and a helicopter and coastguard ship will be taking them off tomorrow. 

Princess are negotiating with the Japanese authorities so that they can provide laundry services to all passengers.

Passengers are being given FCC for a free cruise, presumably equal  to the cost of this cruise although David didn't mention the amount.

They have been told not to use the gloves they were issued with when having their deck walks. Instead it's sanitizer and instructions to wash hands thoroughly on return to the cabin.

I think that was all. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vozzie said:

Looks like Princess are doing the right thing.....

86192456_3150322611663341_4624648581914034176_n.jpg

That's well-handled, isn't it. As I understand it the ship had completed its planned cruise and was just about to disembark the passengers when this all blew up - if so, I think that's very generous of Princess to cover the inconvenience and in some cases, distress, of their passengers to that extent.

Well done Princess. A very generous compensation. 

Princess has handled this situation far better than other cruise companies whose stories I have been following. Not only for those currently on the Diamond but also for those who were on subsequent cruises that were cancelled by Princess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Dreadful news really, I was hoping it was contained.

The figure of 130 passengers being confirmed with virus on Diamond Princess, asks more questions than it answers.  Eg with 130 confirmed on the one ship, why are there so many compared with the relatively small number in countries throughout the world?

I feel for the passengers who have the virus, as well as those passengers who are locked down in limbo.  What a nightmare!