Diamond Princess under quarantine in Yokohama due to coronavirus concerns

I read today an Australian couple who are in quarantine on the Diamond Princess had two dozens bottles of wine delivered to them at the pier by drone yesterday! Don't know how ship security allowed it on, but it got there! They posted photos of them enjoying a Kim Crawford Pinot Noir I think it was in their cabin!!! 

Ingenious! 

2 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

I read today an Australian couple who are in quarantine on the Diamond Princess had two dozens bottles of wine delivered to them at the pier by drone yesterday! Don't know how ship security allowed it on, but it got there! They posted photos of them enjoying a Kim Crawford Pinot Noir I think it was in their cabin!!! 

Ingenious! 

I think that may be fake news,  2 dozen bottles of wine would weigh at least 20kgs.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think that may be fake news,  2 dozen bottles of wine would weigh at least 20kgs.

I thought the same, but here is the link to the article.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7981025/Gold-Coast-couple-quarantined-Diamond-Princess-Cruise-Ship-wine-delivered-drone.html?fbclid=IwAR1YwTjmyhhX-cuQU0-mKb0tbYGAYsO4u2wDrq1CWITCrbVGTlo9MmAHS1s

1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

Ingenious! 

It was fake news. They posted it ln their FB page as a joke and some dumb media outlet ran with it. There is no way the Japanese authorities would let a drone near the ship, plus the drone would have had to be huge to carry two cases of wine. Apparently they won the bottle of sparkling at trivia and probably bought the red wine at one of the bars before the quarantine started - that wine is on the ship's wine list.

1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😞

Yeah! Sure! The Daily Mail is well known for it's accurate and truthful news reporting ... NOT!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😞

Yeah! Sure! The Daily Mail is well known for it's accurate and truthful news reporting ... NOT!

Yes the whole notion didn't pass the 'does it make sense test', likely the story will likely appear on A Current Affair next week, with the added story that the couple were able to take a drone Uber to the airport & fly home 😮

At least the quarantined couple could have a bit of fun in less than ideal circumstances.

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Came across this on another thread and I thought it was interesting. It’s a Yogi, talking about Corona. Then about ½ way (4.15) through  he plays a song someone has written. A little bit parody, a little bit serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP-mCfo4-f8

All health information should be told in song😆. It makes things so much less scarier👍.

• Like 3

Japanese Health Ministry is now talking about testing everyone on board, 2600 pax and 1000 crew, they have only done 500. Ye Gods, they will all be on that ship for another month perhaps.😟

David Abel will be ecstatic, he will need another 1125ml Talisker Single Malt delivery from Princess CEO.

Edited by NSWP

Testing is slow because they have limited facilities to do it in and also beacause the tests take a long time, possibly over 24 hours before the results are known although I'm not totally sure on than that.

The Japanese government is trying to increase the number of facilities that can do the tests - I guess they have to be done under strict bio-hazard conditions in special labs. I think they are hoping to be able to do 1000 tests a day eventually.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Japanese Health Ministry is now talking about testing everyone on board, 2600 pax and 1000 crew, they have only done 500. Ye Gods, they will all be on that ship for another month perhaps.😟

David Abel will be ecstatic, he will need another 1125ml Talisker Single Malt delivery from Princess CEO.

😄

On 2/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, Fletch1 said:

Who knows how many are infected now? Could be a lot more.

It stands at 217 at the moment and I am betting it will get higher. Actually I am booked to go on the Diamond Princess on the 11th April for a 18 night Cherry Blossom cruise. Have a Japanese friend coming with me for the first 9 nights on the Yokohama turnaround. She knows exactly what is happening at the moment due to it being headline news in prime time each day. She has not indicated if she will pull out as of yet.... At this stage I am just waiting to see what happens. The ship will be free of passengers for 25 days after the 19th February assuming they all get off. The Japanese government has been chartering numerous hotels surrounding Tokyo in places like Chiba, Saitama and Kanagawa. These are full hotels they have taken and using every room for quarantine.

I am 100% convinced that anyone diagnosed up to this point contracted the virus during the proceeding cruise and not during quarantine.

I doubt they will all get off on the 19th. There must be some passengers that were cabinmates with people diagnosed during the quarantine and whom it would be impossible to determine when they caught the virus. Plus the crew are still living in close quarters so I would imagine some have or will get infected. 

All cruises through to late January are cancelled so that still gives plenty of time for an extended quarantine and for deep cleansing of the ship before your cruise. Fingers crossed for you that your cruise happens. Will that be in peak cherry blossom season?

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

It stands at 217 at the moment and I am betting it will get higher. Actually I am booked to go on the Diamond Princess on the 11th April for a 18 night Cherry Blossom cruise. Have a Japanese friend coming with me for the first 9 nights on the Yokohama turnaround. She knows exactly what is happening at the moment due to it being headline news in prime time each day. She has not indicated if she will pull out as of yet.... At this stage I am just waiting to see what happens. The ship will be free of passengers for 25 days after the 19th February assuming they all get off. The Japanese government has been chartering numerous hotels surrounding Tokyo in places like Chiba, Saitama and Kanagawa. These are full hotels they have taken and using every room for quarantine.

I am 100% convinced that anyone diagnosed up to this point contracted the virus during the proceeding cruise and not during quarantine.

I wish you well and hope your cruise eventuates, but I would not get my hopes up yet. 

49 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

I wish you well and hope your cruise eventuates, but I would not get my hopes up yet. 

I am feeling the same way. I am just going to go with the flow. If it is cancelled then I will just fly to Tokyo and stay a few nights and then move to a nice cherry blossom city for a few days and fly home. It is in the school holidays and over Easter so essentially it is no drama for me.

The way I see it at this stage it could very well be canceled. From what I am seeing on the SBS on demand of Japanese news is that Japan plans to test every single crew member and passenger before they get off that ship. They have hotels on standby.

Besides if it is cancelled then it is money back and hopefully whatever they decide to credit which may be down to 25% by April.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I doubt they will all get off on the 19th. There must be some passengers that were cabinmates with people diagnosed during the quarantine and whom it would be impossible to determine when they caught the virus. Plus the crew are still living in close quarters so I would imagine some have or will get infected. 

All cruises through to late January are cancelled so that still gives plenty of time for an extended quarantine and for deep cleansing of the ship before your cruise. Fingers crossed for you that your cruise happens. Will that be in peak cherry blossom season?

Cherry Blossoms have peaked earlier this year due to a lack of snow and cold weather. We can probably thank China again for that one thanks to carbon emissions if you appreciate my sense of humour. However according to the schedule they will be in peak for Aomori, Kanazawa, Akita, Niigata and a few other places for the Diamond Princess itinerary.

10 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Cherry Blossoms have peaked earlier this year due to a lack of snow and cold weather. We can probably thank China again for that one thanks to carbon emissions if you appreciate my sense of humour. However according to the schedule they will be in peak for Aomori, Kanazawa, Akita, Niigata and a few other places for the Diamond Princess itinerary.

Lovely. We missed the peak season when we were on Diamond two years ago but did see a couple still in flower at Himeji Castle. 

Nah. it's not China's fault. Blame it on ScoMo!  🤣🤣🤣