Grab a van at Mahuahal for Chacchoben?

SpringfieldFam

Hello, we are travelling to Costa Maya in late February with our family (2 parents, 5 kids 16-7). We would love to go see the Chacchoben ruins. Are there vans outside the port area that will negotiate tours to the ruins? Has anyone done so, and if so, what did the rate work out to be? We've had success doing this with just the two of us, but with the kids I want to make sure it will work out, and maybe not cost so crazy much for a few hours!

Thanks!

I would suggest looking up and booking an excursion with Native Choice.  Reasonable prices.  They are a couple of blocks beyond the taxi stand.  The guy running the taxi stand could give you information, but as it's nearly an hour away and  return, plus the driver would have to wait, so wait time.  Native Choice will get you there and back and provide excellent guides.  You'll be mostly  DIY for guiding amongst the ruins.

https://thenativechoice.com/

• 2 weeks later...

As I just posted on another thread...

Be careful with the taxis, especially if contemplating a long trip to Chacchoben or similar. Instead of preplanning our tour through NCL (and riding on a huge Greyhound-like motor coach/bus), two years ago we decided to visit the Mayan ruins on the day we arrived in Costa Maya. I talked to a taxi owner parked on the side of the main street, who agreed to transport us the distance, back and forth, for US $120. Yes, I probably overpaid, but that became the last of my worries. The taxi guy ordered one of his men to drive us to Chacchoben in another car, no doubt instructing him not to waste a single second during our visit. The taxi's tires were totally bald, the cab had *no* seatbelts, and the driver (who spoke not a word of English) raced us along a sketchy country road at a sustained 80 mph, occasionally hitting 88 mph (140 kph), without any regard for our safety. It was a terrifying 80 minutes, as we flashed and bounced across the countryside, passing dozens of crossroads that had no traffic signals whatsoever. Had a farmer pulled out in front of us, in his wagon, it would have been curtains. When we arrived at Chacchoben, I almost dropped to my knees, kissed the ground, and announced I was staying there, as a newly converted Mayan. Following our excellent 90-minute tour, we had to climb back into that same da*n cab and stomach the lightning trip back to Costa Maya. I consider our arriving at the Port of CM, intact, one of the great miracles of my life. I should have ordered our driver to slow down, but I didn't want to offend, which speaks volumes about me. Since then, I happily make the 10-minute trip by safari bus to Mahahual. Much calmer.

Edited by Moonlit Sea