What to do in Reykjavik with Blue Lagoon

We are planning on using destination blue lagoon and enjoy the facilities there. Possibly do some walking on a trail. What could we do before or after. Is there a nice walk in Reykjavik? How would you plan the day?  Blue lagoon first or later in the day?We are in port from 9am to 11. We would do a tour with Blue Lagoon but really don't want to pay full admission to blue lagoon and be rushed. We maybe would like 4 hours there. Thoughts and help please!

Blue Lagoon is 45 minutes or so from the city.  Going there and not swimming is going to kill 2-3 hours.  There isn't really a tour other than bathing: there is a gift shop and an expensive restaurant and about 10-15 minutes worth of walking paths from which you can see other milky blue water but not the spa pool itself. 4 hours in the Blue Lagoon location without going in seems like a huge waste of time to me.

Using the spa, from arrival, changing, swimming, leaving, is usually a 2-3 hour activity.  Plus time to/from the location

The Reykjanes Peninsula, where the Blue Lagoon and international airport are located is a great half day tour, if you can find a tour in the area.  There are "Free Tours By Foot" in Reykjavik (tipping is strongly suggested) if you just want to see a city on your day in Reykjavik, or there are lots of day tours.

It is a pricey outing, but to me it was worth it.  I  wasn't on a cruise stop, I found a vacation package with Iceland Air.  We also did horseback riding before hand.  It's been several years since I visited, but it was the big highlight of my trip.  It pays to be prepared - you can save a little money bringing your own towel over renting one there.  And make sure to wear a tight fitting swim cap - put your hair full of conditioner before getting in the water.  The water is heavenly but will make your hair straw otherwise.  There is lots of Blue Lagoon top quality shampoo & conditioner in the changing & showering areas to help yourself to.  There are buckets of clay mask to put on your face at the perimeters of the blue lagoon.  Bring a disposable water camera to use in the lagoon.  You can get a bite to eat in the cafe for pretty reasonable, just a serve yourself area from pre-made sandwiches, juices etc, but you don't have to eat in the expensive restaurant.   

Tip - if you want to bring home a souvenir lotion - you can buy it in the US mail order for less than at the  gift shop at Blue Lagoon.  The mineral lotion is so great, it works as well or better  on my eczema than some of my prescription lotions.  Saves on space / weight in the luggage,  too.   Buying at the airport I believe is the most economical, but that won't be in your plans.  

With the tour I had, it picked us up from the hotel & then we could take a bus back when we decided we had enough of being there.  They ran pretty often, just had  to make sure you had the right company & didn't miss the last one.  

We went to the Blue Lagoon last June while on a pre-cruise extension in Reykjavik.  I loved it.  After reading up on what to expect, which I encourage you to do, I was worried about my hair and contact lenses.  I just put my hair up and did not get it wet and wore the contact lenses and did not put the silica on my face.  No problems!   You will definitely want to shower afterwards.  You did not indicate what month you are traveling.  In June, it was light very late.  I believe the hours of the Blue Lagoon are extended during certain months, if you want to go later.

I do not know if you could fit it in with your plans, but we took an express Golden Circle Tour with a company called Extreme Iceland.  Rather than leaving early in the morning like most of the tours, we were picked up at our hotel at around 11:45 a.m. and returned at around 6:30 p.m., small group in a van, and nothing seemed overly crowded.  Very enjoyable.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, Lotusgirl22 said:

We went to the Blue Lagoon last June while on a pre-cruise extension in Reykjavik.  I loved it.  After reading up on what to expect, which I encourage you to do, I was worried about my hair and contact lenses.  I just put my hair up and did not get it wet and wore the contact lenses and did not put the silica on my face.  No problems!   You will definitely want to shower afterwards.  You did not indicate what month you are traveling.  In June, it was light very late.  I believe the hours of the Blue Lagoon are extended during certain months, if you want to go later.

I do not know if you could fit it in with your plans, but we took an express Golden Circle Tour with a company called Extreme Iceland.  Rather than leaving early in the morning like most of the tours, we were picked up at our hotel at around 11:45 a.m. and returned at around 6:30 p.m., small group in a van, and nothing seemed overly crowded.  Very enjoyable.

We are going in July. Did you do the golden circle and blue lagoon? If so,did you feel you had enough time at the Blue Lagoon? 

Is travel between the cruiseport and downtown easy,as we are thinking to go into town and the do the destination BL shuttle around 3 pm. (In port 9am-11pm) thinking it would be nice to be able to go back to the ship to get our towels,suits etc as the BL bus stops right outside the port.

We did both the express Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon, but on different days on our pre-cruise extension before boarding.  Once on the ship, Viking had a shuttle from the ship to downtown, which was quick.  We did the South Coast tour the day after boarding the ship.

I thought we had plenty of time at the Blue Lagoon, even time for a cup of coffee after enjoying the facilities.  We did not need to bring a towel, as they were provided at the Lagoon.  Check the BL website to ensure that is still the program.

You'll want to do Blue Lagoon last in your day.  You don't want to get wet, get dressed again and then go hiking.  Plus there are all the usual warnings about coating your hair with conditioner but no one mentions the effect on other body hair which is identical.  You don't need to go hiking immediately afterward!

The lagoon do limit visitor numbers so be careful the cruise has not booked all available entry slots for the time you want to be there.  We were there at sunset last year which was absolutely magical. 

• Like 1

It's about a 15 minute process preparing for the spa (check in, figure out the lockers, shower, change), and 30-45 minutes to finish up (much longer shower, change), so add an hour on to how long you'd like to spend in the big spa for Lagoon activities.

There is a gift shop, a fancy restaurant and a cafe you can also spend time at. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2020 at 8:58 PM, CanWeGoYet? said:

It is a pricey outing, but to me it was worth it.  I  wasn't on a cruise stop, I found a vacation package with Iceland Air.  We also did horseback riding before hand.  It's been several years since I visited, but it was the big highlight of my trip.  It pays to be prepared - you can save a little money bringing your own towel over renting one there.  And make sure to wear a tight fitting swim cap - put your hair full of conditioner before getting in the water.  The water is heavenly but will make your hair straw otherwise.  There is lots of Blue Lagoon top quality shampoo & conditioner in the changing & showering areas to help yourself to.  There are buckets of clay mask to put on your face at the perimeters of the blue lagoon.  Bring a disposable water camera to use in the lagoon.  You can get a bite to eat in the cafe for pretty reasonable, just a serve yourself area from pre-made sandwiches, juices etc, but you don't have to eat in the expensive restaurant.   

Tip - if you want to bring home a souvenir lotion - you can buy it in the US mail order for less than at the  gift shop at Blue Lagoon.  The mineral lotion is so great, it works as well or better  on my eczema than some of my prescription lotions.  Saves on space / weight in the luggage,  too.   Buying at the airport I believe is the most economical, but that won't be in your plans.  

With the tour I had, it picked us up from the hotel & then we could take a bus back when we decided we had enough of being there.  They ran pretty often, just had  to make sure you had the right company & didn't miss the last one.  

If I might butt in with a question...

does one need to wear water shoes into the lagoon?

The lagoon is man made, so while it looks rocky on the edges, the bottom is smooth.  If anything, the silt builds up and makes it a bit like shuffling thru a thin layer of mud.  It's not slippery, or hard on the feet.  You'd be fine without water shoes.

• 1 month later...