British Isles Formal Nights

FrankZ2010

We will be going on a 12 night British Isles Cruise out of Southampton, England.

After reading a couple of blogs, formal nights were held on the nights of the first port (Guernsey) and the second sea day.

Has anyone had the same experiences on this particular cruise.

I was on the June 30, 2019 British Isles cruise (embarked out of London/Southampton). The two formal nights were Guernsey and the FIRST sea day.  Since many people were getting off the ship in Le Havre, they did not have the 2nd formal night on the second sea day (which was the night before Le Havre).

I hope this helps.  The cruise was fantastic!!

5 hours ago, Wren_dc said:

I was on the June 30, 2019 British Isles cruise (embarked out of London/Southampton). The two formal nights were Guernsey and the FIRST sea day.  Since many people were getting off the ship in Le Havre, they did not have the 2nd formal night on the second sea day (which was the night before Le Havre).

I hope this helps.  The cruise was fantastic!!

I understand the formal night attire on the UK cruises tends to be more "formal" than what we have seen on some other Princess itineraries.  Did you find that to be the case? 

We did this cruise last August as well as one the previous week to the Norwegian Fjords.  The cruise to the fjords was only 7 nights and had a great majority of Brits.  They tended to get very dressed up.  On the British Isles cruise the demographics were more varied.  We did not see nearly as many people very dressed up but there were still a lot in tuxes and evening gowns, but also many men in suits and a fair number with just a dress shirt but no tie.  

5 hours ago, yvr49 said:

I understand the formal night attire on the UK cruises tends to be more "formal" than what we have seen on some other Princess itineraries.  Did you find that to be the case? 

A couple of years ago we did a RT SOuthhamton cruise. On formal nights I would estimate that at least 60 % of men wore tuxedos. 

We did this exact cruise last May.  I always wear a dressy button down shirt with no tie, sport jacket and khakis.  I never felt out of place.  Yes, there were a few tuxes seen but there were just as many wearing "smart casual" as well.

We just got off the Pacific Princess on a Panama Canal transit last month.  Surprisingly, the rules for every night in the dining room was "long pants required".  (No real complaint on my part.)  This particular cruise had a rather high age demographic so it really was not much of an issue.  I got caught by surprise, though.  I suspect everybody in the dining room thought I only had one pair of khakis to my name!  I had prepared for only 2 "formal nights" as I've experienced in the past!