Travel Insured International

simplynewt

I am going on our 1st cruise and decided to pick up some travel insurance.  The selections and info is almost overwhelming.  The most reasonable plan comes from Travel Insured International.  Has anyone had experience with this company? If so could you leave your details, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.  

9 minutes ago, simplynewt said:

I am going on our 1st cruise and decided to pick up some travel insurance.  The selections and info is almost overwhelming.  The most reasonable plan comes from Travel Insured International.  Has anyone had experience with this company? If so could you leave your details, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.  

First, I'd suggest that you CALL the folks at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(call, don't just rely upon the online summaries, although those might be helpful for background; the 'fine print' can really matter with insurance).

TIS ended up recommending a Travel Insured policy for us when we first contacted them after reading about them here on CC.

And we had a large claim right out the door, on that first trip.  Alas, we've since had other claims, including another, larger one.

In each case, TI paid without any nonsense.  They do have the right to see proper documentation of any losses, but we never felt they asked for anything inappropriate.

And if you purchase through TIS, then they can help guide you through the claims procedures IF you need/want any help.

Bottom line, we continue to use Travel Insured, and that's about the best recommendation one can make.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, I'd suggest that you CALL the folks at
www.TripInsuranceStore.com
(call, don't just rely upon the online summaries, although those might be helpful for background; the 'fine print' can really matter with insurance).

TIS ended up recommending a Travel Insured policy for us when we first contacted them after reading about them here on CC.

And we had a large claim right out the door, on that first trip.  Alas, we've since had other claims, including another, larger one.

In each case, TI paid without any nonsense.  They do have the right to see proper documentation of any losses, but we never felt they asked for anything inappropriate.
And if you purchase through TIS, then they can help guide you through the claims procedures IF you need/want any help.

Bottom line, we continue to use Travel Insured, and that's about the best recommendation one can make.

GC

This is very good to hear! I just purchased a Travel Insured policy after a very long and patient (and entertaining!) chat online with Deanna at TIS (also after having seen it here), which ended in a couple of quotes in my email.
During my online purchase, I was bizarrely taken through my USAA membership because evidently I had not logged off before closing the tab the last time I used USAA on that device. I chatted online with an EXCELLENT TI agent. Turns out, if you are a USAA member, you may get a discounted TI price if your state participates in that.
My quoting and purchasing experiences were phenomenal compared to ordinary customer service.
I printed the 40-page insurance document and carefully read every word before I even hit the initial stage of purchasing. Not that I remember it now, but it was useful and now I know where to find info.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So has anyone talked to travel Insured about cancelled cruises due to the Corona virus? We purchased their Worldwide Trip Protector insurance for a TA planned to depart on April 19th. We then have 2 weeks worth of travel booked after the cruise. I think I've read through th epertinent info on the policy, and see no exceptions for pandemics, or the like. 

Wondering if anyone is in the same 'boat', and has verified what is covered.

3 hours ago, pistachio said:

So has anyone talked to travel Insured about cancelled cruises due to the Corona virus? We purchased their Worldwide Trip Protector insurance for a TA planned to depart on April 19th. We then have 2 weeks worth of travel booked after the cruise. I think I've read through th epertinent info on the policy, and see no exceptions for pandemics, or the like. 

Wondering if anyone is in the same 'boat', and has verified what is covered.

Come back and share with us your experience.

Travel Insured modified their rules regarding changes, transfers, and refunds for policies affected by Coronavirus. You can now apply for a voucher or refund. There is a link on their website. According to the insurance agent (trip insurance store) we bought our World Wide Trip Protector policy through, they are treating future cruise credits like cash. 

15 hours ago, NorthernMNCruiser said:

Travel Insured modified their rules regarding changes, transfers, and refunds for policies affected by Coronavirus. You can now apply for a voucher or refund. There is a link on their website. According to the insurance agent (trip insurance store) we bought our World Wide Trip Protector policy through, they are treating future cruise credits like cash. 

really?   Can you post the email or link? 

OK, I am "trying" to get some info back  from TripInsuranceStore, as well as Travel Insured.  When I look at my credit card (I called and was put on hold for a LONG time, so I finally gave up), I see the charges for the 8 of us, but I also see an additional $170 charged from Travel Insured. To tell you the truth, I had seen where TIS had been recommended, and that is why I took it out. One of my questions, why is Travel Insured charging me money like TIS? Also, this is what I was told by Dianna with TIS when our March 15th cruise was cancelled out by Carnival, not us.  I mentioned to Dianna that we "did not" cancel our cruise, but it was cancelled out. I am out over $900, and feel since we did not cancel out, we should be reimbursed back. After all, we did not fly/cruise, and I feel the money should be coming back to us.  This is what she told me, but since it is not in PRINT, I have no way of proving what she said.  Since Carnival gives us the two options of FCC (full cruise credit), or FCC plus OBC (on board credit) of $600, I had thought of taking the first option of the FCC, as we do not know when we will be booking again. Since I was the one that booked/paid for all 8 of us, when it came to filling out the link for travelinsured vouchers and refunds, how would I go about doing all 8 of us?

16 hours ago, beshears said:

OK, I am "trying" to get some info back  from TripInsuranceStore, as well as Travel Insured.  When I look at my credit card (I called and was put on hold for a LONG time, so I finally gave up), I see the charges for the 8 of us, but I also see an additional $170 charged from Travel Insured. To tell you the truth, I had seen where TIS had been recommended, and that is why I took it out. One of my questions, why is Travel Insured charging me money like TIS? Also, this is what I was told by Dianna with TIS when our March 15th cruise was cancelled out by Carnival, not us.  I mentioned to Dianna that we "did not" cancel our cruise, but it was cancelled out. I am out over $900, and feel since we did not cancel out, we should be reimbursed back. After all, we did not fly/cruise, and I feel the money should be coming back to us.  This is what she told me, but since it is not in PRINT, I have no way of proving what she said.  Since Carnival gives us the two options of FCC (full cruise credit), or FCC plus OBC (on board credit) of $600, I had thought of taking the first option of the FCC, as we do not know when we will be booking again. Since I was the one that booked/paid for all 8 of us, when it came to filling out the link for travelinsured vouchers and refunds, how would I go about doing all 8 of us?

Okay, I Am lost here... the $900 was paid to who for what?

Are you talking about a $900 loss on your sailing for which you are trying to recoup or are you talking about the insurance premium you paid and are trying to recoup?

Please clarify so a more correct answer can be provided.

bon voyage

OK, this is just MY opinion, but I feel I should be reimbursed back the money I put out for the coverage, as they never had to cover the 8 of us (March 15 - March 21), as the cruise was cancelled out (we DID NOT CANCEL) before we flew from home to do the cruise. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like it is money IN their pocket, and my loss, which I am not happy about.

15 hours ago, beshears said:

OK, this is just MY opinion, but I feel I should be reimbursed back the money I put out for the coverage, as they never had to cover the 8 of us (March 15 - March 21), as the cruise was cancelled out (we DID NOT CANCEL) before we flew from home to do the cruise. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like it is money IN their pocket, and my loss, which I am not happy about.

Okay, I understand and think about if the opposite had happened, but that as it may, it is money in their pocket for a service which was not or could not be used but bound.

You may want to check your insurers' website as it has been reported on other forums that there are insurers who are providing full refunds vis-a-vis their website, currently.

bon voyage

18 hours ago, beshears said:

I think differently.

I think that the minute you purchased the insurance, the insurance was applicable. Should a medical diagnosis come up that normally wouldn't have allowed you to be insurable, or an ailment that caused you to no longer be able to travel, you would have been covered. THAT was the risk the insurance was covering the minute you paid for your premium.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Bo1953, thank God, I got some good news.  As I have been sick for almost 2 weeks, I have had a struggle "trying" to figure this out.  I just heard from the man that I have been dealing with, and told me, even if I had NOT re-booked a flight/cruise as yet, they will hold the funds until I am ready to cruise.  Thank you Jesus!!! I just needed something positive to come through for me at this time.  Now, my next project is talking with my Carnival PVP, who has NOT contacted me in over two weeks.  Yes, I'm sure she is busy, but as my son said, we gave her a lot of money for 8 people, and still has not contacted me.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beshears said:

Bo1953, thank God, I got some good news.  As I have been sick for almost 2 weeks, I have had a struggle "trying" to figure this out.  I just heard from the man that I have been dealing with, and told me, even if I had NOT re-booked a flight/cruise as yet, they will hold the funds until I am ready to cruise.  Thank you Jesus!!! I just needed something positive to come through for me at this time.  Now, my next project is talking with my Carnival PVP, who has NOT contacted me in over two weeks.  Yes, I'm sure she is busy, but as my son said, we gave her a lot of money for 8 people, and still has not contacted me.

b - I would not panic about not being contacted, as I Am sure you are on the list.

Please remember that in 'normal times' communications are different, alas this is NOT normal and with being overwhelmed with the need to communicate with thousands and processing even more changes and refunds and complaints and who knows what else yet, you will be called.

Although I would suggest that after the next week or so, if no communication is made, send another email as a follow up to remind them that you still await, patiently. It will be appreciated and acknowledged in due course.

Congrats on the insurance front and I Am sure the cruise line front will produce similar results.

In health and bon voyage

On 3/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, NorthernMNCruiser said:

Hi NorthernMNCruiser,

Sometime recently, but I don't know exactly when, Travel Insured changed what they are doing including extending the amount of time you may re-use your policy. Their website now says:

"If you would like to change the travel dates on your plan to cover a new or rescheduled trip (provided you are no longer taking the impacted trip due to COVID-19) you can fill out this form for a travel protection voucher. If you know your new dates of travel, we will update your protection plan to reflect the new dates. If you do not know your new travel dates yet, we will hold your plan voucher for future use. The future or rescheduled departure date must be within 3 years from the date of your original plan application date. Voucher for future use will be provided in email format.

Voucher eligibility:
- Original trip departure date is between March 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020
- Travel has not and will not take place due to COVID-19
- A claim hasn’t already been filed against the plan"

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a cruise in June that most likely will be canceled.  I bought trip insurance through Travel Insured International.  I know this is jumping the gun but if Carnival cancels all sailing out 100 days, and refunds the entire cost.  At the time they refund the cost, is that when we can get a voucher or refund of the trip insurance? 

On another thought process, Is it possible that Carnival given the financial mess this whole ordeal has caused, goes bankrupt, issues no refunds, and is that when we could use the insurance to recoup our losses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 11:22 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi NorthernMNCruiser,

Sometime recently, but I don't know exactly when, Travel Insured changed what they are doing including extending the amount of time you may re-use your policy. Their website now says:

"If you would like to change the travel dates on your plan to cover a new or rescheduled trip (provided you are no longer taking the impacted trip due to COVID-19) you can fill out this form for a travel protection voucher. If you know your new dates of travel, we will update your protection plan to reflect the new dates. If you do not know your new travel dates yet, we will hold your plan voucher for future use. The future or rescheduled departure date must be within 3 years from the date of your original plan application date. Voucher for future use will be provided in email format.

Voucher eligibility:
- Original trip departure date is between March 1, 2020 – September 30, 2020
- Travel has not and will not take place due to COVID-19
- A claim hasn’t already been filed against the plan"

Steve Dasseos

Steve 

If one uses this "voucher" for a new cruise how is the pre-existing waiver from the original cruise handled. Will I need to keep all of my original paperwork from the cancelled cruise or will a new look back period start will the new booking.  Thanks

On 4/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, kdkirk said:

I have a cruise in June that most likely will be canceled.  I bought trip insurance through Travel Insured International.  I know this is jumping the gun but if Carnival cancels all sailing out 100 days, and refunds the entire cost.  At the time they refund the cost, is that when we can get a voucher or refund of the trip insurance? 

On another thought process, Is it possible that Carnival given the financial mess this whole ordeal has caused, goes bankrupt, issues no refunds, and is that when we could use the insurance to recoup our losses.

Hi kdkirk,

I'm sorry about the delay answering you. You don't have to wait for the refund to get the voucher. You may ask for it when Carnival tells you the cruise is cancelled.

When you get the voucher you're giving up your right to file a claim on your policy.

However, you may not be covered for Financial Default.Did you book directly with Carnival or use a travel agent?

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, CHUCKIE50 said:

Steve 

If one uses this "voucher" for a new cruise how is the pre-existing waiver from the original cruise handled. Will I need to keep all of my original paperwork from the cancelled cruise or will a new look back period start will the new booking.  Thanks

Hi Chuckie50,

Save all your documentation from booking the original cruise. Assuming you met the rules to have the pre-ex waiver it will carry over to the new trip as long as you request the date change not more than 21 days after re-booking it. If your trip cost increase, you'll have to increase the coverage.

You may go directly to Travel Insured or we can help you.

Steve Dasseos