Lack of Ships on a Stick

ChosenOne

Recently off the Breeze 14 day Journeys cruise.  The Fun Squad were only handing out "Bling on a String" medallions for most events, trivia, games, etc.  I only saw 4 ships on a stick being given during the 2 weeks.   Wondering if this is a new fleet wide directive or if the Breeze was short on SOS (they were the newer satin finish trophies) or if it was because it was a Journey cruise?   Anyone know?     Luckily I got a ship the first day (at trivia) because I never had the opportunity to win one again.  When ever I asked a Fun Squad member they deflected the question/declined to answer.  

We were on the Valor in December and they had plenty. They did hand out a few medallions at some of the other activities, but trivia winners all got SOAS. We won two. Instead of two SOAS, if we were to win more than one trivia in the future, I wouldn't mind having a SOAS and a medallion just to change things up.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

We were on the Valor in December and they had plenty. They did hand out a few medallions at some of the other activities, but trivia winners all got SOAS. We won two. Instead of two SOAS, if we were to win more than one trivia in the future, I wouldn't mind having a SOAS and a medallion just to change things up.

Just ask after you win and they will give you a medal instead.  They give those out like crazy on most cruises (Moreso to kids though).  They aren't unique to the ship like the trophy, so personally I'd rather have 2 of the same ship rather than add to my half dozen Carnival medals.  What really stresses me out is I can't find my trophy from the Carnival Victory, and now it has been re-branded so I can't just win another.

As for the OP, I have been on cruises where they were stingy with the Ships on a Stick, but never to the degree you are talking.  Heck they gave us 3 for winning Carnival Quest when we sailed the Fantasy. I'd just assume they were low and afraid of running out on a 14 day cruise, or did actually run out. 

I guess those of us that sail with Carnival should be grateful that we get the SOAS or medallions. I won a trivia contest on Allure of the Seas last year and won a yellow highlighter! The guy that finished in 2nd got a blank trivia answer sheet and was told to "go home and practice". True story!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChosenOne said:

Recently off the Breeze 14 day Journeys cruise.  The Fun Squad were only handing out "Bling on a String" medallions for most events, trivia, games, etc.  I only saw 4 ships on a stick being given during the 2 weeks.   Wondering if this is a new fleet wide directive or if the Breeze was short on SOS (they were the newer satin finish trophies) or if it was because it was a Journey cruise?   Anyone know?     Luckily I got a ship the first day (at trivia) because I never had the opportunity to win one again.  When ever I asked a Fun Squad member they deflected the question/declined to answer.  

I was on the same cruise.  The Morning Show gave away at least 8 ships during its five airings.  I won one.  To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, "early to bed, early to rise gives a man lots of Carnival prizes". 😄

I will note that the one time I played trivia the top prize was a Boat on a Rope.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChosenOne said:

Magic had them. The new type. One time I asked for the ship instead of the medallion. Ge gave me one.

26 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I know this is crazy, but I am reaching platinum on my next cruise and I would really like a ship on a stick instead of luggage tags or a lanyard.

Next time you win, ask for one. If they do not have one at the moment. Just ask them to bring one for you at the next trivia game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Next time you win, ask for one. If they do not have one at the moment. Just ask them to bring one for you at the next trivia game. 

I've only participated in Quest. The time I was on a winning team, my husband and I let the younger people keep the prizes. I think it would be neat to get a ship on a stick.

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

I've only participated in Quest. The time I was on a winning team, my husband and I let the younger people keep the prizes. I think it would be neat to get a ship on a stick.

I have 21 of them. But not one for every ship cruises on. Actually our grand son has them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I love trivia and don't know how many I participated in before I finally won one. Up until then, it never failed, there were always people cheating. Writing in their answers at the end or looking up answers on their phone. I never could get a Fun Squad host who ran a "tight ship," no pun intended. No matter how good I did, someone always conveniently had all of them right. Finally, this past December, I won one. Then I helped my wife win one. I was about to win my second (our third), but I let someone else take it because we didn't need another one. People always used to say to play while the ship's in port because everyone's gone, not as many people are playing trivia, so it's easier. We did do that, but there weren't necessarily fewer people. The difference I noticed was that it was a different demographic playing. More mature, no cheaters, level playing field.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I love trivia and don't know how many I participated in before I finally won one. Up until then, it never failed, there were always people cheating. Writing in their answers at the end or looking up answers on their phone. I never could get a Fun Squad host who ran a "tight ship," no pun intended. No matter how good I did, someone always conveniently had all of them right. Finally, this past December, I won one. Then I helped my wife win one. I was about to win my second (our third), but I let someone else take it because we didn't need another one. People always used to say to play while the ship's in port because everyone's gone, not as many people are playing trivia, so it's easier. We did do that, but there weren't necessarily fewer people. The difference I noticed was that it was a different demographic playing. More mature, no cheaters, level playing field.

We win ours, just my wife and I when they do a trivia we know a lot about. Such 50s and 60s music. We aced that one. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

We win ours, just my wife and I when they do a trivia we know a lot about. Such 50s and 60s music. We aced that one. 

Same here. If I don't know a lot about the topic, I don't even bother going. But to keep seeing people write in their answers and whatnot, it was pretty discouraging for those of us who play honestly. I talked to one of the Fun Squad members in December about it. He said he used to have people exchange answer sheets, but it was too time consuming and just an overall pain. I know it's just a goofy plastic trophy, but trivia is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise, as it is for others as well, and cheaters can suck the fun out of it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Same here. If I don't know a lot about the topic, I don't even bother going. But to keep seeing people write in their answers and whatnot, it was pretty discouraging for those of us who play honestly. I talked to one of the Fun Squad members in December about it. He said he used to have people exchange answer sheets, but it was too time consuming and just an overall pain. I know it's just a goofy plastic trophy, but trivia is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise, as it is for others as well, and cheaters can suck the fun out of it.

We always go. Like Jeopardy. Happy to know an answer. We learn a lot doing trivia. I have said. I spend so much just to find out how little I know and how smart so many others are.

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'll have to go to some of the trivia games.  I've never been to one.  That would be frustrating to see people cheat.  I don't know if I could actually win one of the games unless I was on a team or it was a topic I knew very well.  It sounds like fun though.

Typically trivia is everyone for themselves, but when they play actual Trivial Pursuit, they do play teams. Our team won that, but it wasn't for SOAS, just bragging rights. By chance, we made some good ship friends this last time. A pair of sisters on their first cruise and a husband & wife. We all liked trivia and happened to be at many of them. Now & again we'd wind up sitting together and chatting. After enough of them, we knew that's where we'd find each other and it kind of became our "thing." We eventually went to a few other activities together (we introduced them all to Quest) and even talked about going on a future cruise with the husband & wife. The trivia and the games make for a nice daytime activity. I'd like to see them do more games. We do see Trivial Pursuit a lot. In 2018, one of them did Scattergories. I'd like to see them do more games like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChosenOne said:

I hope the little trophies are not a victim on the war on plastic.  

• Like 1

I love the SOASs we have won.....they are wonderful souvenirs of the cruise since they are ship specific.  
We now have 10 of them and display them proudly.  I know that sounds a bit kooky, but we embrace these trophies as part of the fun of the cruise.  

I can’t imagine there are many if any people ‘cheating’.  I am too busy trying to come up with and then hide my own answers to notice if others are using nefarious means to win a silly (but fun!) trivia contest.  When they are writing on the answer sheets as the answer is being read perhaps they are marking their list with an X or a check mark like I do to denote right or wrong answers.  I also sometimes write down the questions with the correct answers as they are given so that I can get it right NEXT time.  

I would be very disappointed to participate and WIN a Carnival trivia contest and not get a SOAS.  I might have to put it in my last will and testament that I want to be buried with at least one of them, and the rest can be distributed among my heirs LOL! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'll have to go to some of the trivia games.  I've never been to one.  That would be frustrating to see people cheat.  I don't know if I could actually win one of the games unless I was on a team or it was a topic I knew very well.  It sounds like fun though.

Since some trivia aficionados have already spoken, I'll add my stories.

I've won eight Ships and one Boat, not all at trivia.  I actually have three Ships from the Triumph, which I'm sure by now is a collector's item (a REAL collector's item would be if they issued any of the new style trophies before it became the Sunrise).  I don't do a lot of trivia, preferring to save my energy for music trivia - especially the 80s and 90s.  It's fun even when I don't win.  I never cheat and don't normally participate in teams.

Organized Chaos suggested sugar Ships on a Stick.  That's actually a very good idea if Carnival is desperate for ideas to reduce their plastic use still further.  Keep the base as is, but a candy/gummy/gingerbread trophy sounds yummy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolSW said:

I can’t imagine there are many if any people ‘cheating’.  I am too busy trying to come up with and then hide my own answers to notice if others are using nefarious means to win a silly (but fun!) trivia contest.  When they are writing on the answer sheets as the answer is being read perhaps they are marking their list with an X or a check mark like I do to denote right or wrong answers.  I also sometimes write down the questions with the correct answers as they are given so that I can get it right NEXT time. 

Believe what you want, but there are most certainly people who cheat at trivia. You'd be surprised what some people will do to get their hands on one of those little trophies. How about theft? Yep, seen that too. On our cruise aboard the Glory, someone stole the SOAS that the Fun Squad member had set near the back of the Lobby stage for an upcoming trivia session. On more than one occasion, I could easily tell people were writing in their answers because they were only writing on their sheet for a few of the questions. Or during the game, they'd have their phone beside them or tucked between their legs and when the question was asked, they'd type in something on their phone, then immediately write on their answer sheet. When they'd do this two or three times during the game, it wasn't a coincidence. Then the people who did these things would be the ones who happened to win. Another incidence of cheating that happened on our Glory cruise was when the Fun Squad member hosted a game of Scattergories. She literally caught one of the teams cheating, stopped the game and told them to stop what they were doing, they continued to do it, they won the game, and she still gave them the win. As the hosts of these games, they don't care. It doesn't mean anything to them, but these games are part of the fun of the cruise for those of us who enjoy participating.

• Like 1

I finally won my only SOAS during the first leg of a B2B on the Conquest in 2017.  The wife doesn't do Trivia so I'm always alone against folks that always get all the answers.  I finally tied with one couple on 50's or 60's music and we both missed one answer so I finally won my sole SOAS. 

Edited by Eliot Ness
  • Like 1