Child to Adult Latitudes Level Question

Hopes4

My son has a latitudes number and has cruised with us 5 times in the last 9 or 10 years.  He will now be booking his first cruise since turning 18.  I was told (in the past) that he will get credit for the cruises he took and be given the appropriate Latitudes level upon reaching 18.  Today I was told he will not get any of the cruises credited and he only has a number but no level.  Is that representative correct?  When did they change this? 

From the NCL FAQ page...maybe he won't get past credit until after this cruise?

When will I be enrolled in Latitudes Rewards?

We enroll all guests who have cruised with us and who are at least 18 years of age in our Latitudes Rewards program within 48 hours after your cruise is completed. No action is required on your part and your membership and rewards in this exclusive program are automatic. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

From the NCL FAQ page...maybe he won't get past credit until after this cruise?

When will I be enrolled in Latitudes Rewards?

We enroll all guests who have cruised with us and who are at least 18 years of age in our Latitudes Rewards program within 48 hours after your cruise is completed. No action is required on your part and your membership and rewards in this exclusive program are automatic. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

THANK YOU!  I never looked at “when” because I know he’s had a number for years. 

I feel he should board the cruise as silver/gold and receive the perks, but at least he will get them..... eventually.  

If I learned nothing else from these boards, I’ve learned not to completely trust the answer of an NCL rep.  lol 😂 😀

Edited by Hopes4
  • Like 1

Everyone who books a cruise is enrolled in the Latitudes Rewards (points) program - so you get an account

number and then after the cruise completion you are awarded the points for that cruise and your son will

get the same points you have accumulated after that first cruise.

Those 5 cruises you took 9-10 years ago - were they standard 7 day cruises resulting in Latitudes Points

of 35 (7x5=35) ? Rating a Silver level (more points if booked in suite - insider offer and perhaps grandfathering

in those that were booked more than 9 months before sailing).

Hope you kept records and in case you did not then go to your NCL.com account and check your history -

your son's points to be posted should be identical to yours.

Nothing serious here - bronze and silver do not rate much - even gold is only a token step to rewards

(Gift Shop discounts and reduce cost laundry)

At the Platinum level - specialty dinner - wine and free laundry - back scenes tour now there is something tangible.

But every point does count and as noted these occur after cruise completion.

So check your history to get an idea of what your son's points will be - if there is any discrepancy your history

will be used to post the points to your son's account.

Have any problems I have a source to resolve the issue.

They changed it about 4 years ago where the kid had to take a trip after 18 to get status level.  That's when they also added new levels.

However, they also had provision for grandfathering if kid turned 18 and took trip they would get status after turning 18 without having to take trip but NCL couldn't figure out to actually make that happen in our case.  Wrote to NCL and they also can't comprehend basic English.

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Everyone who books a cruise is enrolled in the Latitudes Rewards (points) program - so you get an account

number and then after the cruise completion you are awarded the points for that cruise and your son will

get the same points you have accumulated after that first cruise.

Those 5 cruises you took 9-10 years ago - were they standard 7 day cruises resulting in Latitudes Points

of 35 (7x5=35) ? Rating a Silver level (more points if booked in suite - insider offer and perhaps grandfathering

in those that were booked more than 9 months before sailing).

Hope you kept records and in case you did not then go to your NCL.com account and check your history -

your son's points to be posted should be identical to yours.

Nothing serious here - bronze and silver do not rate much - even gold is only a token step to rewards

(Gift Shop discounts and reduce cost laundry)

At the Platinum level - specialty dinner - wine and free laundry - back scenes tour now there is something tangible.

But every point does count and as noted these occur after cruise completion.

So check your history to get an idea of what your son's points will be - if there is any discrepancy your history

will be used to post the points to your son's account.

Have any problems I have a source to resolve the issue.

When I spoke to NCL a few years ago, they had the cruises he took attached to his Latitudes number.  We made him an NCL account online last night and none of his cruise history was listed.  He should have 55 points for the cruises.  

I would very much appreciate a contact to help resolve this. The consultant last night told me twice that he will not get credit for any of those cruises. Past experience leads me to believe calling again will be a crap shoot at best.

It seems like there's nothing that can be done until after his first cruise after turning 18. In other words, he won't have any status on his first cruise after turning 18. Since they system won't count them until after the first cruise after turning 18 I don't think you'll have any luck having someone override it and will just need to ensure all points show up after his first 18+ cruise. 

• Like 1

OK you have started the ball rolling - - -

Perhaps have viewed:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/faq

How do I contact Latitudes Rewards customer service?
Call 866-234-0292.

Have done that ?

How do I see my Rewards points, tier level or cruise history online?
- tier level, cruise history and Latitudes Rewards number.

OK you have made a phone contact - next step is to create a email trail.

Follow this for a guide line to get by NCL customer agents unable to help:

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

AND specifically for NCL:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/Email Contacts

NEXT STEP and perhaps Final:

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Vivian Ewart
Vice President, Passenger Services
7665 Corporate Center Dr.
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4011
vewart@ncl.com

My (Angel) source - reports to Vivian Ewart

Ana Rodriguez | Manager, International Reservations & Support Services
P: +1 305-436-4000 | F: +1 305-436-4126
arodriguez@ncl.com | www.ncl.com
Norwegian Cruise Line
7665 Corporate Center Drive | Miami FL 33126

There may be one or more denials rejections but appeal it all the way to top ---

NCL has a reputation for protecting its customer loyalty base if the resolution request is reasonable
but does not react positively to threats or over-reaching.
Remember to state your proposed solution with specificity and keep it reasonable.

This sort of means don't threaten with the Elliott organization and keep CC out of the fray may sour

any solution. You have already documented your issue here at CC - we will be listening/reading

how this progresses.

Good Luck - Sometimes NCL leaves much to be desired in Customer relation/resolutions

22 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

It seems like there's nothing that can be done until after his first cruise after turning 18. In other words, he won't have any status on his first cruise after turning 18. Since they system won't count them until after the first cruise after turning 18 I don't think you'll have any luck having someone override it and will just need to ensure all points show up after his first 18+ cruise. 

Their points are not recognized until after their first cruise after turning 18.  Both my kids, now 25 and 22 cruised with NCL before 18.  Neither of their accounts show this cruise.  In fact, NCL does not even recognize them as past guests. 

We have 2 balcony cabins booked for our Alaska cruise, kids in one cabin, husband and I in the other.  When the past guest, 20% Latitudes discount came out because they were not recognized as past quests in the system, my husband had to be listed in 1 cabin with my son and my daughter listed in the other cabin with me in order to get the discount. The rules, as shown above, state they will get past points credited once they cruise so I'm not going to worry about it until then. 

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I don't believe that Vivian Ewart works for NCL anymore.

Yes retirement moving on other opportunities - the jobs are perhaps in constant flux.

The information I had was what the Elliott site is posting.

With FDR at the helm I would suppose that good help is going thru the revolving door rapidly !

And YES I know that FDR is not the CEO running the day to day operation - who wants to be CEO for the day ?

Sheehan - Stuart - who is next thru the turnstile ?

On 2/5/2020 at 9:32 AM, Hopes4 said:

When I spoke to NCL a few years ago, they had the cruises he took attached to his Latitudes number.  We made him an NCL account online last night and none of his cruise history was listed.  He should have 55 points for the cruises.  

I would very much appreciate a contact to help resolve this. The consultant last night told me twice that he will not get credit for any of those cruises. Past experience leads me to believe calling again will be a crap shoot at best.

You did the right thing to create an account, IIRC you can only do it for kids over 15??  Before the program change, we could see our kids history.  After the change, no.  Our 17 YO DS when I checked his status again today doesn't show history and has him -1 point.

When our DD turned 18 and we took the trip, they did properly change her status and it shows her history correct.

Good luck with the Latitudes Department.  I documented all the steps in previous posts, but I contacted them via email two or three times with acknowledgement of receiving email but never responding to the fact that our daughter who turned 18 should have had status change under the grandfathered rules without having to take trip which I sent a copy to them.  I finally called them and told no.  I then wrote to Andy explaining what had happened (or lack of response) for whoever read that letter referred me back to the non-responsive Latitudes Dept.  So much for helping past guests, let alone Plat +.

It shouldn't have to be this hard.  I rarely write companies but in the last month I wrote to two companies - one for a defective product and the other inquiring on an expiration date that wasn't on the package.  In the first case, I just wanted an equal replacement, the second, just the date.  Both sent a few coupons for a couple bucks which was nice but not expected.  I certainly don't spend the thousands of dollars with them like NCL but they thought it was the right thing to do but at NCL, guess not.

Thank you all for your responses. 

I spoke to some very pleasant people today. They both see his cruises.  Latitudes passed me to someone who could fix them not showing up on the website, that department then informed me that they will not show until after he cruises again.  It’s not a huge deal, but the excursion discount would have been nice.   I’m not going to stay upset about unfair policies I can not change.  

My own children went through this process this past summer.  They both took some trips before they were 18, and then the summer they were both of age. After we got off of the Epic in Barcelona, only then did their status show up. They both now have their status and their points to use.