Who likes crayfish (Lobster) ?

Coronavirus: Crayfish not exported to China to be freed

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/119285477/coronavirus-crayfish-not-exported-to-china-to-be-freed

With China and presumably cancelled cruise ships sailing not taking the fresh crays , there should be an abundanc3 for sale on the local market soon .

Even if the price drops to below a $100 per kilo.....  NO

Better value is a kilo of top quality prawns  about about $50-60 per kilo

But at the right price.... maybe.....

It would be interesting to know what the real price for cray would be if it wasn't for the Chinese market.

Right   back to fish and chips from the local shop

Cheers Don

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Even if the price drops to below a $100 per kilo.....  NO

Better value is a kilo of top quality prawns  about about $50-60 per kilo

But at the right price.... maybe.....

It would be interesting to know what the real price for cray would be if it wasn't for the Chinese market.

Right   back to fish and chips from the local shop

Cheers Don

$60 / kg for prawns!!!  WOW!

Sydney Fish market at Xmas & Easter top out a about $45/kg for cooked prawns & $35/kg green.

Any other time of year $35/kg is the max for cooked.

Craig

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

A lot of NZ crayfish used to get exported to the US a one time. Not sure if it still is though.

NZ crayfish is the best of the rock lobster species IMHO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We don't/ won't pay more than $32/kilo for tiger or King prawns and they have to be Aussie (south coast or such).

The only place in Melbourne for that price it the supermarkets,

Also in does depend on the size, we refer U16    so 16 prawns to the kilo  ,, and no way on U24 to much time peeling.

Generally in a seafood shop

spencer gulf prawns ( which are cook and frozen at sea again depending on size ) range from $43 - $52

Note one seafood shop in our area , wants $68 a kilo for Queensland banana prawns.... I do not think so...

Cheers Don

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

A lot of NZ crayfish used to get exported to the US a one time. Not sure if it still is though.

NZ crayfish is the best of the rock lobster species IMHO. 

If you are referring to the Green uncooked cray I agree that it beats the Southern deep red cray, and the Southern cray beats the Tropical cray.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:34 AM, Russell21 said:

If you are referring to the Green uncooked cray I agree that it beats the Southern deep red cray, and the Southern cray beats the Tropical cray.

There are actually two species of rock lobster in NZ. I've only ever bought them cooked but my dad taught me to always get the dark red ones not the orange ones as they have better flavour. That theory seems to work in Sydney as well. 😊

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

7 minutes ago, retird said:

Prawns cannot be placed in the same category as lobster.  If you ever have the opportunity, try a Maine(USA) or North Atlantic lobster from the east coast of Canada.  The flavour is mouthwatering.   

Personally I find the best thing I love about lobster on a cruise ship is the garlic butter. 

• Like 1

I was just reading this about the supply of seafood, it is quite interesting. If you want cheaper seafood, at least in Melbourne, it seems now is the time to buy it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/crayfish-prices-plummet-to-31-at-melbourne-markets-and-prawns-set-to-follow/news-story/85c6945708cf158ed4965a0e212ab953

Leigh

In the bad old days at Fremantle prison the convicts were fed crayfish for their protein intake.

It was cheaper than meat.

I don't know if they complained as loudly as modern day cruisers when crayfish is OFF the menu.

1 hour ago, Obilix said:

In the bad old days at Fremantle prison the convicts were fed crayfish for their protein intake.

It was cheaper than meat.

I don't know if they complained as loudly as modern day cruisers when crayfish is OFF the menu.

LOL, don't tell the prisoners that now.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:07 PM, retird said:

Prawns cannot be placed in the same category as lobster.  If you ever have the opportunity, try a Maine(USA) or North Atlantic lobster from the east coast of Canada.  The flavour is mouthwatering.   

I agree...

Have you ever seen crab or prawn mornay??

I haven't, they have to add the mornay sauce to give the lobster some flavor.

I have had my share of just out of the water crayfish in NZ....

grilled on the boat's bbq = sweet as bro!!😎

Maybe I'm a bit different, but lobster has no special attraction to me - give me a BBQ'd porterhouse or scotch fillet any day, or if it's seafood on the menu, barra will do the trick. That said, DW enjoys a lobster mornay on a special occasion.

• Like 1