Just changed port day to St. Lucia - beaches?

kstetser

I just received an email that our Martinique port day has been changed to St. Lucia.  We had planned on a relaxing beach day on our own in Martinique.   We don't like to take ship tours.  Are looking for a nice beach with chairs/umbrellas, food nearby and restrooms that is less likely to have herds, towels or aggressive vendors.   Would welcome suggestions.   We will be there in July - so as much as I love hiking (I'm a geologist), I think it's just going to be too darned hot.  I also get really car sick, so long drives on winding roads are a challenge.   We will have a teen with us - so adult only options are out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathi

Edited by kstetser

None of our beaches  are crowded in July. It's low season 

Vigie is walking distance, small boardwalk with local food and drinks, chairs, bathrooms, calm waters.

Rodney Bay's Reduit Beach is 25 minutes or so away, Splash bounce water park, water sports, chairs and umbrellas, calm water, restaurants and such.  $30 one way cab. Or check Bay Gardens for their day pass with the solash oarj, includes lunch, transport, passes, etc 

Pigeon Island. National Park with ruins, hike, Restaurants, beach, shade, etc. On yoir own, $35 one way, $8 entrance fee. Or check Viator or Serenity TVL for their PI "tour".  Transport, entrance, chairs, etc for set price.  

Sugar Beach Beach Break. Speed boat ride to Sugar Beach between the Pitons, lunch, drinks cooler, etc. Spencer Ambrose offers this, as do a few others, I think Serenity TVL, Real St Lucia Experience, etc. 

Enjoy. 

• Like 1

We were planning on doing Pigeon Island next month, but I've been on Trip Advisor and there are lots of comments about (very) pushy vendors. Is this the case even inside the national park bit? If so, we'll probably be heading somewhere else, like Vigie maybe.

42 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

We were planning on doing Pigeon Island next month, but I've been on Trip Advisor and there are lots of comments about (very) pushy vendors. Is this the case even inside the national park bit? If so, we'll probably be heading somewhere else, like Vigie maybe.

There's a fee to get into the national park, $8usd. Vendors are not paying that, even the local rate, to maybe make a sale or two.

Haven't encountered any pushy vendors in the beach area outside either, it's frequented by locals also, and the vendors know we're not buying. (except my husband! Lol).  Great food in or out if the park. 

• 2 years later...
On 2/11/2020 at 12:29 PM, reedprincess said:

There's a fee to get into the national park, $8usd. Vendors are not paying that, even the local rate, to maybe make a sale or two.

Haven't encountered any pushy vendors in the beach area outside either, it's frequented by locals also, and the vendors know we're not buying. (except my husband! Lol).  Great food in or out if the park. 

Hello Reedprincess.  I am just wondering if there is much to see between the cruise ship port and pigeon island area?  We don't like long, early days, and are considering perhaps a leisurely half day to Pigeon Island.  I've been reading that inside the park, there is a beach, hiking, interesting restaurant that seems like fun.  But we also would like to get a bit of a taste of St. Lucia without traveling too far.  I am just wondering if you think this drive would be very scenic.  Thanks very much for your time. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:03 AM, tartana said:

Hello Reedprincess.  I am just wondering if there is much to see between the cruise ship port and pigeon island area?  We don't like long, early days, and are considering perhaps a leisurely half day to Pigeon Island.  I've been reading that inside the park, there is a beach, hiking, interesting restaurant that seems like fun.  But we also would like to get a bit of a taste of St. Lucia without traveling too far.  I am just wondering if you think this drive would be very scenic.  Thanks very much for your time. 

The drive to Pigeon Island is not very scenic at all. You're going through the built up city and suburbs.  It'll be different and sort of scenic as I guarantee it's very different looking city areas than you're used to, but it's not scenic really - only a few ocean views along the way, etc. 

You can do a quick driver up the Morne to the layby before heading to PI, great views over the city and harbor, see the Governor General's home, etc. Otherwise - you're driving along the highway through the city, etc. PI is lovely for a half day or 3/4 day trip.. leave more time to get there/back than it looks on paper, only one road and it can have some solid traffic at times!

Safe travels.

7 hours ago, reedprincess said:

The drive to Pigeon Island is not very scenic at all. You're going through the built up city and suburbs.  It'll be different and sort of scenic as I guarantee it's very different looking city areas than you're used to, but it's not scenic really - only a few ocean views along the way, etc. 

You can do a quick driver up the Morne to the layby before heading to PI, great views over the city and harbor, see the Governor General's home, etc. Otherwise - you're driving along the highway through the city, etc. PI is lovely for a half day or 3/4 day trip.. leave more time to get there/back than it looks on paper, only one road and it can have some solid traffic at times!

Safe travels.

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply :)