Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
sewcruiser

Worth the "upgrade" or not

Recommended Posts

We are currently booked in an inside cabin on the Panorama deck. I just got an upgrade offer for an oceanview cabin on the Main deck in the back for $58. Is this a good upgrade? I usually book OV or better but I let hubby book this one (he liked the lower price on the inside cabins). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are accustomed to "ocean view" or better, your inside cabin may not be something you will like.

 

They are very dark, very "closed" - If you like to have a window at least, you may strongly consider the upsell.

 

Its all based on what you like.

 

#choosefun 

 

~Marci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the upgraded cabin is midship, I would do it. If it's in the front or back, or in a location where something loud is above or below the new cabin, I would hesitate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Oceanview are larger rooms.  So I would switch if the galley or theater are not above my cabin.  And they have a couch.

Edited by PekingeseLady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which ship? How far aft? Some ships have vibration issues in the far aft, lower decks. 

 

Is it is not a cabin prone to vibration issues I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sewcruiser said:

We are currently booked in an inside cabin on the Panorama deck. I just got an upgrade offer for an oceanview cabin on the Main deck in the back for $58. Is this a good upgrade? I usually book OV or better but I let hubby book this one (he liked the lower price on the inside cabins). 

We are OV people also, it’s our first choice. We pulled the trigger on a Havana aft balcony on the Horizon. Would normally not do this but we got a big credit from our Cancelled Mardi Gras cruises. So we said what the... why not. The up-sell was $400.00. Are up-sells a good deal only you can decide that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the main deck almost all the way to the back and loved it. Very quiet. Also most of the ocean views have 2 bathrooms. I would go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Not a bad price.  But before agreeing,  I also have a deck plan so I can see location  of the cabin,  what's  near, will there be cabins above and below, etc.

On one sailing last year, the first offer location wasn't idea for me being under the theater  and I declined.   

But less than two weeks later I received a better location offer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Cruiser Joe said:

If the upgraded cabin is midship, I would do it. If it's in the front or back, or in a location where something loud is above or below the new cabin, I would hesitate.

Just checked.....the galley is above this cabin. I'm guessing that this could be a LOUD area. Thanks for your response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The galley's above? Avoid at all costs. I did that once by accident. Never again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Which ship? How far aft? Some ships have vibration issues in the far aft, lower decks. 

 

Is it is not a cabin prone to vibration issues I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Valor 2428. I'm not sure if this ship has vibration issues. I did see that this cabin is below the galley so that may be a noise issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowadays you might want to get that daylight window, or if you can a balcony.  If one person is tested confirmed for coronavirus the ship will be quarantined for at least 2 weeks.  You do not want to be stuck in an inside cabin.  Check out Princess quarantined in Japan.  

Edited by James4me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll take ANY Oceanview cabin (even in a less than desirable location) before I take an inside cabin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oceanview cabins become interior cabins at night.  As for daytime, you're most likely to be in port or out and about around the ship.   The only reason I'd opt for an oceanview over an interior is more square footage around the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, airlink diva said:

On one sailing last year, the first offer location wasn't idea for me being under the theater  and I declined.   

But less than two weeks later I received a better location offer 

I hope this will happen for me.  I'm not crazy about the current offer below the galley.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 6:20 PM, James4me said:

Nowadays you might want to get that daylight window, or if you can a balcony.  If one person is tested confirmed for coronavirus the ship will be quarantined for at least 2 weeks.  You do not want to be stuck in an inside cabin.  Check out Princess quarantined in Japan.  

You are so right, 14 days in an inside cabin would be torture!!  I hope the coronavirus scare will be over by my cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...