Cabin Room Trips and Tricks

We like  to  bring  an over-the -door shoe bag.  We hang it on the outside  the bathroom  door  and store our sunscreen , lotions, lanyards ,  chargers, etc. in it.  It really  frees up the limited  counter space .  Another tip I have  read about, but never used, was to bring a small  blow up swimming  pool from  the  dollar  store  to use inside  the  shower to bathe small  children   ( which I  don't  have  ).  One last tip is to decorate  the cabin door  to help locate your  room easier .   Just don't  put up anything  that you'd  hate to have taken.  Sometimes  people decide  it's  funny  to steal other  people 's things . 

4 hours ago, CruiseWendy said:

Hi Everyone! I just bought (after 15 cruises) the magnetic hooks to hangup in my cabin to get more storage and organization in the room. What are you're favorite go-to's to bring for your cabin. Tips, tricks, must haves, wow items! I

What kind of magnets did you get?  After the last cruise, I decided that I needed something stronger!  I usually bring the plastic clips with tiny magnet on the back.  They barely held up one piece of paper!

Maybe the walls are less metal these days (last cruise was on Anthem)?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joand452 said:

What kind of magnets did you get?  After the last cruise, I decided that I needed something stronger!  I usually bring the plastic clips with tiny magnet on the back.  They barely held up one piece of paper!

The earth magnet hooks on amazon are awesome for holding up swimsuits etc - they are VERY strong

14 minutes ago, joand452 said:

We use strong hook magnets we purchase at a home improvement store. Many magnet packages will list a lb, strength. We also bought a pack of small but strong magnets at the container store. Do not rely on dollar store magnets. 

The metal is consistent, the difference is the strength of the magnets. 
m

I like to hang an air freshener in the bathroom.  However, make sure you like the fragrance.  I bought a pack with a coconut fragrance, thinking it would be perfect for a Caribbean cruise.  I hated the smell!  I ended up not using it at all and that wasn’t the best option either!

• Like 1

I bring a Tide pen for stains in my clothes. 

A highlighter for the daily events & a pencil with an eraser & a sharpener for all the sodukos & puzzles.  Plenty of zip lock baggies in different sizes. 

Extra batteries for everything that needs a battery. 

Chargers for everything that needs charging & a USB adapter for 3 or 4 cords.  

A couple extra days of prescriptions.

Edited by PTAngel

1 hour ago, joand452 said:

I bought siMul brand off of Amazon. 55lb hooks, might be overkill but I wanted strong little suckers:) 

Not for the cabin specifically, but for cruising in general - cruise line luggage tag holders. Definitely with the metal loop. These are the ones we use specifically: https://amzn.to/3744DzM

Got them after a cruise where our tags were ripped off while getting the bags on board. Without a tag our luggage was never delivered, we found it sitting with a bunch of other undelivered luggage just sitting by guest services where anybody could have grabbed it. Bought these the second we got back home and have used them ever since.

• Like 6

On 2/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, CruiseWendy said:

I bought siMul brand off of Amazon. 55lb hooks, might be overkill but I wanted strong little suckers:) 

Definitely overkill.  I had some of the stronger magnets, but the magnets themselves are on the heavy side, and since I have to fly to port, I have to worry about suitcase weight.

I've used these 22-pound magnets for the past several years, and they hold an amazing amount of wet clothing from the ceiling, but aren't so large and heavy that they impact my luggage weight limit. 

Post it notes. And on our last cruise we had 4 identical coke cups, so I will be bringing a sharpie next time to put names on them. I also always bring a mini bottle of dish soap and a tea towel to wash the cups. 

• Like 1

Not a cabin hack, but I take a Word document to leave on the bed on the first day. 

Sometimes stewards don’t get to meet us until after dinner. 

I type a greeting to the steward and introduction. 

I let him know our preference for bed configuration. 

I can’t sleep under a duvet, so I request a top sheet and blanket instead. I also need a couple of extra pillows. 

I also request ice twice daily. Some cruise lines do once unless requested. 

I thank him in advance 

That way I get it all out of the way, and he doesn’t have to memorize what I and 10 other people are requesting. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, lbjen said:

Post it notes. And on our last cruise we had 4 identical coke cups, so I will be bringing a sharpie next time to put names on them. I also always bring a mini bottle of dish soap and a tea towel to wash the cups. 

We use stickers to personalize our coke cups. If you don't have any from your kids' supply, grab some at the dollar store.  I'm the flamingo, he's the peace sign.  :-)

Edited by flamingos
clarification.
  • Like 4

Windup flash light in the event of a power outage.

White board to hang on exterior door to leave messages if travelling with others.

clothes pins for: hanging clothes in the shower and if the ship has a shower curtain instead of a door, to hold the curtain from sticking to you while showering.

Pen and pad of paper

Coolies or Kozzies  to hold those cold cans or bottles of beer

Cork screw 

5 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

All of the above... and ziploc bags to store cookies 🙂

I actually send my son to college with ziploc bags for that exact reason - to take cookies in his backpack for later.  You must also have a cookie "problem".

One of these to carry your drink cup so you  can have your hands free (1000mL size)

AUPET Water Bottle Carrier,Insulated Neoprene Water Bottle Holder Bag Case Pouch Cover 1000ML or 750ML,Adjustable Shoulder Strap, Great for Stainless Steel and Plastic Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012S9GKLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ycWpEbJFQ0J6T

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1