Can Hubby Bring His Guitar?

smogfarmgirl

My husband is a professional musician, a singer and guitar player (I’m saying he’s good, lol). His way of relaxing is sitting and playing acoustic guitar. He always brings it on our trips, but this is our first cruise. He would play very quietly, in our room and perhaps on our balcony. It’s very mellow and relaxing, not loud or grating at all.  Is this allowed?

Would he be allowed to play it anywhere that’s out of our room...upper deck, somewhere quiet-ish, etc?

Edited by smogfarmgirl

I have been on cruises where talented passengers have used the pianos in public areas. Imagine they received permission as some of the keyboards were usually locked.   Some of them were very good and I enjoyed listening as did other passengers.   Maybe your husband can get the okay to perform outside of your cabin.

• Like 2

Hate to be a party pooper but I wouldn’t be happy to be on my balcony while someone was playing the guitar on the balcony next to me....(and I used to be the singer in the rock band). It’s just that I wouldn’t have any choice as to whether I wanted to listen to music at that moment or not. Stick to inside the cabin or a public space I could walk away from but please don’t intrude on my balcony solitude. Thanks.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

I was on Freedom of the Seas In December and MANY passengers brought tambourines and bongos.  One even brought a boom

box and blasted salsa music by the pool for several days. A group

paraded  playing instruments through the quiet adults only pool.  Many passengers loved it and even encouraged it. Obviously some were annoyed by all the loud music. It wasn’t until the fourth day that security put a stop to it! 
my point is, I am sure your hubby is very talented but some passengers would NOT appreciate hearing ANY music out on their balcony or coming from the cabin next door. I agree with the previous poster, check with the Cruise Director and they might welcome him to

play in a lounge. 
enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Not sure about ‘performing’ but he might want to play a bit in a common area so others can enjoy it. that would be nice.

Den

I didn’t say he wanted to perform. He gets enough of that at home, lol. He just likes to play quietly, it’s relaxing. 

2 minutes ago, lizinindy said:

Stick to inside the cabin or a public space I could walk away from but please don’t intrude on my balcony solitude. Thanks.

noted, thanks!

2 minutes ago, sandycruzr said:

I was on Freedom of the Seas In December and MANY passengers brought tambourines and bongos.  One even brought a boom

box and blasted salsa music by the pool for several days.

Well the two can hardly be compared. But I understand your point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smogfarmgirl said:

I didn’t say he wanted to perform. He gets enough of that at home, lol. He just likes to play quietly, it’s relaxing. 

Oh, I wasn’t referring to what you’d like to do, I had assumed you knew if he played in a public place, it wouldn’t be a ‘performance’, but just a sharing of good music......kind of like when I ‘share’ dumb jokes in public - but my wife Does accuse me of ‘performing’!

Den

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Oh, I wasn’t referring to what you’d like to do, I had assumed you knew if he played in a public place, it wouldn’t be a ‘performance’, but just a sharing of good music......kind of like when I ‘share’ dumb jokes in public - but my wife Does accuse me of ‘performing’!

Den

😂gotcha!

11 minutes ago, lizinindy said:

I think the point is, you have taken away my choice on my own balcony — even if it is relaxing and mellow and delightful.

Oh gosh..I’m sounding like a crabby old crone! Yikes!

Agree. If we want to listen to music we'll enjoy it provide by Celebrity's guest entertainers.

No you're not. We also don't want to listen to someone playing a musical instrument or radio, no matter where they are playing it! 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, mackjack9139 said:

You can often find space away from others on the forward top sundeck, or the promenade deck has chairs often in smaller groupings sat apart from other groups. I think they would be a nice spot to play and look at the ocean and not bother anyone. 

Aww, thanks for the tip!

Your husband would love our celebrity cruise next week it’s a music charter with bands like America, Jefferson starship, Pablo cruise, Rita Coolidge, Steven Bishop and there is normally a autograph session after interviews and many people will bring old album covers, but there was a bunch of people taking there guitars to be signed . 

• Like 3