Anthem- testing 12 Chinese nationals who are onboard

Actually, until a reliable and fully tested vaccine is made available to those who need it, we are going to have similar situations to this one. Short to medium term it’s going to be a hard task for the various cruise companies to keep all their staff busy as I predict numerous cruises are going to be cancelled. Over the next few weeks we are going to see ports worldwide decline permission for the ships to dock and disembark passengers- a huge blow to these locations with numerous businesses relying on the cruise ships visiting.

For me personally I think I will be ok for my next cruise since it’s not until 1st November (on the Anthem) and they should have a vaccine developed by then - either that or we will all be dead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rbschultz said:

I'd argue airplanes are unequivocally worse. The air inside the cabin is continually recirculated... and sadly I'll be on one across the country on Sunday.

The air that is recycled is passed through a HEPA filter. It is roughly 50% recycled air, 50% fresh. The air system is designed for air to move straight down as opposed to swirling around. The cockpit gets 100% fresh air at all times.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have a question for you. The 273 test kits which were run on the Diamond Princess passengers are still not totally complete (3 days later). Do you have an educated guess why its taking so long? 

The last group of test results for all those tested on the Diamond Princess were released yesterday and are reflected in the increase of confirmed cases to 61 passengers.  Ten hours ago, this was posted on the Princess Facebook page:

Diamond Princess Update: The Japanese Ministry of Health has confirmed the quarantine end date will be February 19, unless there are any other unforeseen developments. We understand and empathize with the frustration of many of our guests, crew, and their families across the world during this ever-evolving situation. Thank you for your continued patience during this challenging time. http://*****/38cSolS

From NCL:Notice Spirit is canceled through December 7, 2020 offering full refunds. I suspect others will follow. ps: I know this isn't the NCL board, but it's interesting to see how other lines are reacting.

MPORTANT NOTIFICATION
CANCELLATION

Reservation: xxxxxx

Date: 02/07/2020

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

Due to growing concerns regarding Coronavirus in Asia, all Norwegian Spirit sailings from April 15, 2020 through December 7, 2020 operating in Asia have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Please be advised that a full refund will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As a goodwill gesture, we have arranged for a future cruise credit, worth 10% toward your future cruise, to be issued. This credit will be available within 7 days and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings if you book a new cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line in the next 45 days. Furthermore, we will cover up to $300 per person for any airfare change fees. Please submit your receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

When you are interested in choosing another sailing, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350 or your travel professional.

For any guests booked outside of the U.S. and Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your upcoming vacation at sea. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 4

"Only if buy into the hysteria of this thread."  Who ever posted this has a point . However ,we all must be mindful that it is people  moving from place to place in this world can bring disease with them . If it is a contagious disease ,then  we would hope that those who are contagious be quarantined into a medical facility with the ability to deal with that particular disease .Thus ,keeping the spread to a minimum amongst  the general population 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

From NCL:Notice Spirit is canceled through December 7, 2020 offering full refunds. I suspect others will follow. ps: I know this isn't the NCL board, but it's interesting to see how other lines are reacting.

MPORTANT NOTIFICATION
CANCELLATION

Reservation: xxxxxx

Date: 02/07/2020

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

Due to growing concerns regarding Coronavirus in Asia, all Norwegian Spirit sailings from April 15, 2020 through December 7, 2020 operating in Asia have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Please be advised that a full refund will be processed automatically to the form of payment provided at the time of booking. As a goodwill gesture, we have arranged for a future cruise credit, worth 10% toward your future cruise, to be issued. This credit will be available within 7 days and can be applied towards any of our currently published sailings if you book a new cruise with Norwegian Cruise Line in the next 45 days. Furthermore, we will cover up to $300 per person for any airfare change fees. Please submit your receipts at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

When you are interested in choosing another sailing, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350 or your travel professional.

For any guests booked outside of the U.S. and Canada, please visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your upcoming vacation at sea. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

I would like to see Royal follow NCL’s lead 

1 hour ago, Marilyn Johannes said:

I would like to see Royal follow NCL’s lead 

NCL's decision is a smart business decision...they can do this or face one cancel after another and be operating empty ships. Right now they have no ports...when it all calms down it will take some serious time before the average tourist wants to go to Asia...land or sea.  I think you will see most of the cruise lines follow suit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

NCL's decision is a smart business decision...they can do this or face one cancel after another and be operating empty ships. Right now they have no ports...when it all calms down it will take some serious time before the average tourist wants to go to Asia...land or sea.  I think you will see most of the cruise lines follow suit.

Hopefully they redeploy the ships in the US market for some cheap cruises.  🙂

Royal can move Quantum and Spectrum to Bayonne and schedule some longer cruises to the deep southern caribbean (ABC, S. America) and Newfoundland / Greenland / Iceland.

Edited by Another_Critic

Just got home and haven’t caught up on this post yet so this might be old information but departure time for anthem is 10pm tomorrow (Saturday). I thought they initially said 1 pm departure. Does anyone know why the additional delay?

Edited by BermudaBound2014

42 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just got home and haven’t caught up on this post yet so this might be old information but departure time for anthem is 10pm tomorrow (Saturday). I thought they initially said 1 pm departure. Does anyone know why the additional delay?

We have also been cleared by authorities to depart, as usual. However, to reassure concerned guests, we will delay our departure ‪until tomorrow, when we will receive the conclusive test results from CDC.

We know that you may be anxious about boarding the ship today – we’re anxious too! So, we’ve decided to push our boarding to tomorrow, February 8th, 2020, at 5:00 PM EST, while we wait for the results from the CDC.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas-updates

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1

Correct- delayed to a 5 pm embarkation with 10 pm departure. Last guest must board by 9 pm.

I don’t like that RCL is using this language- “waiting for conclusive test results from CDC”. To me, that implies current test results are inconclusive. Maybe I’m reading that wrong 🤷‍♀️. The current tests are either inconclusive or they need to fire the press release writer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The current tests are either inconclusive or they need to fire the press release writer.

Not even sure what diff it makes - all those people are off the ship. Will they clean the ship "even better" if the tests show previous guests had corona or less if the tests were negative?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Hopefully they redeploy the ships in the US market for some cheap cruises.  🙂

Royal can move Quantum and Spectrum to Bayonne and schedule some longer cruises to the deep southern caribbean (ABC, S. America) and Newfoundland / Greenland / Iceland.

They could also put one of them in Boston.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not even sure what diff it makes - all those people are off the ship. Will they clean the ship "even better" if the tests show previous guests had corona or less if the tests were negative?

To me it isn’t about cleaning- it’s about exposure. If the crew was exposed, i suspect the current plan will change quickly.

• Like 2