Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mantadiver

Important Information from Norwegian Cruise Line: Norwegian Spirit 04.15.2020- 12.07.2020 Cancellation

Recommended Posts

We booked our now cancelled Japan cruise for 20% off for previous NCL cruisers. Do you think NCL will honor this if we rebook a cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NCruiser2012 said:

We booked our now cancelled Japan cruise for 20% off for previous NCL cruisers. Do you think NCL will honor this if we rebook a cruise?

 

Doubtful. They'll just point you to the current latitudes offering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I was thinking. Too bad, I liked all the promotions we received on this cruise. At least we get our deposit back. The cancellation was probably for the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FLConnie said:

Sailing from Athens Greece beginning April 15 through November.

I have two cruises on hold with a cruise next certificate until I can make up my mind. Star in October for Greece, Jade TA from Rome late Oct. A new itinerary for Spirit may be the dark horse. She was first NCL ship I sailed on back in 2005 and would love to sail her again, had not booked her as Asia was not on my horizon this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, desibee said:

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?


You can reasonably trust that any cruise line including NCL will do their best to honor itineraries.  Same with airlines and their schedules.  Unfortunately world events dictate necessary changes for everyone’s well being.  Cruise lines are adapting as are airlines by canceling flights. When it comes to travel there are no 100% guarantees.  I would advise good insurance and flexibility/understanding.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ncl spirit Is listed on  pireaus port every week ...

FD0B67AE-65F9-490F-89E3-1D67DFDC3D4C.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, desibee said:

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?

You'd be more disappointed if you caught the virus.  This is an unusual situation cruisers learn to go with the flow. Welcome to the club!

 

We loved our Mediterranean cruise and will look at Greece for our replacement. But lots of options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

You'd be more disappointed if you caught the virus.  This is an unusual situation cruisers learn to go with the flow. Welcome to the club!

 

We loved our Mediterranean cruise and will look at Greece for our replacement. But lots of options.

 

I can deal with a fever and cough.  I do it multiple times a year tbh, the flu is pretty serious and yet no one freaks out about it.   The panic over this virus far outweighs the actual danger of this virus but the media hype surrounding it is ridiculous enough that NCL can't afford the bad press, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, desibee said:

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?

Seriously!!   NCL is trying to have the best interest of its customers and employees.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, desibee said:

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?

I understand your disappointment and would never trust NCL or any other cruise line to regarding a cruise that may be affected by a catistrophic world incident of this magnitude.  I would write off any company that would take extreme measures to protect their crew and passenger/potential passengers. 

 

Cancel and forget any cruises you may have booked and be done with cruising as a whole.  There's probably something better, more affordable,  more user freindly and far more likely to please you than any cruise with any company, including NCL. 

 

Be done with cruising.  Be well and feel confident that you've made the right decision by finding something better than what cruising offers.  

 

I wish you the best and hope we never meet on a future cruise. 

 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I understand your disappointment and would never trust NCL or any other cruise line to regarding a cruise that may be affected by a catistrophic world incident of this magnitude.  I would write off any company that would take extreme measures to protect their crew and passenger/potential passengers. 

 

Cancel and forget any cruises you may have booked and be done with cruising as a whole.  There's probably something better, more affordable,  more user freindly and far more likely to please you than any cruise with any company, including NCL. 

 

Be done with cruising.  Be well and feel confident that you've made the right decision by finding something better than what cruising offers.  

 

I wish you the best and hope we never meet on a future cruise. 

 

Cheers. 

 

Coronavirus is nowhere near a catastrophic world event.  It's danger is very slim to those outside of countries with poor health care systems, which is why when WHO declared it an emergency they did so with the caveat that they do not expect public health to be threatened as much as they fear that countries with poor health care systems will be overwhelmed.  And everyone just sort of ignore that because panic is profitable.

 

Do some research.  Actual research, not just looking at clickbait on facebook.  Try a little critical thinking for once.

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, desibee said:

 

Coronavirus is nowhere near a catastrophic world event.  It's danger is very slim to those outside of countries with poor health care systems, which is why when WHO declared it an emergency they did so with the caveat that they do not expect public health to be threatened as much as they fear that countries with poor health care systems will be overwhelmed.  And everyone just sort of ignore that because panic is profitable.

 

Do some research.  Actual research, not just looking at clickbait on facebook.  Try a little critical thinking for once.

 

Cheers.

I understand your sentiments but IF one of NCL ship ended up in quarantine for 14 days the costs would be hefty, in the long run more economical for them to cancel the cruises and send The Spirit elsewhere for the next few months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, njkate said:

I understand your sentiments but IF one of NCL ship ended up in quarantine for 14 days the costs would be hefty, in the long run more economical for them to cancel the cruises and send The Spirit elsewhere for the next few months

 

Yes, I do understand that this is an economic move for NCL.  I just don't want to pat them on the back for "doing what's best for their crew and passengers" like some people have claimed when that's not really the reasoning at all.  NCL just does not want to lose money (which, fine, they're a business after all). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa hold the horses!  A little bit of immaturity creeping in here.  The biggest issue is how are NCL dealing with their customers.  You don’t need to flick far through these boards to find plenty of “I’ll never cruise with this company again!” posts about NCL.  So. Yes maybe it is a little premature, but at least it gives most people time to arrange alternatives, providing those customers have flexible vacation opportunities.  I feel sorry for those folks who have taken this trip in fixed vacation time and find that their opportunities are very limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am totally disgusted to say the least.   For Norwegian to change the cruise up totally is something that is livable (not happy about missing some ports we really wanted) but for them to put it on their customers to pay for the difference in airfares since they are going to end in a totally different port is JUST WRONG.   We are being given a loose loose proposition from them that we either loose about $4000 in air fare if we cancel the cruise or loose $1300 (less their $600) if we stick with the cruise.  It was their choice to change and why they expect their customers to pay for that choice is NOT THE WAY TO RUN A COMPANY.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cybergremlin said:

 

I know they are not covering the costs of flights but until i've heard from NCL I'm gonna hold out on speaking to the airline However they don't fly directly to anywhere i would want to go to, so I would then have to find connecting flights as well. 


Hi cybergremlin, is that Manchester UK? If so are you flying with BA?  We were going to fly with them returning Nov 6.  Last week I got an e-mail telling me that our return flight was to be changed from Narita Airport to Haneda Airport.  With everything that I had going on I didn’t get round to responding.  Anyway when I phoned them this afternoon they said that because it was a schedule change and I hadn’t accepted it counted as a case for full refund!  Does that help you?

Incidentally, I got through at third time of asking.  Rang the customer service team before lunch.  Waited 20 minutes but got no answer.  Tried again after lunch, lasted 25 minutes of no reply before cutting the line. Then rang the number for new bookings and answered in 2 minutes!  Just saying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, caneable said:


Hi cybergremlin, is that Manchester UK? If so are you flying with BA?  We were going to fly with them returning Nov 6.  Last week I got an e-mail telling me that our return flight was to be changed from Narita Airport to Haneda Airport.  With everything that I had going on I didn’t get round to responding.  Anyway when I phoned them this afternoon they said that because it was a schedule change and I hadn’t accepted it counted as a case for full refund!  Does that help you?

Incidentally, I got through at third time of asking.  Rang the customer service team before lunch.  Waited 20 minutes but got no answer.  Tried again after lunch, lasted 25 minutes of no reply before cutting the line. Then rang the number for new bookings and answered in 2 minutes!  Just saying!

 

Hi, yep the 1 and only 🙂 

Unfortunately not BA but Cathay Pacific so out of luck at the moment, I rang my travel insurance today who said I'm not covered for the flights as my final destination(Japan) hasn't been black listed by the UK government yet.

I might be able to change the flights to somewhere else but it depends if they fly somewhere we want to visit. plus i'm still waiting to hear directly from NCL that my cruise has been cancelled

Thanks for the thought 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

 

Hi, yep the 1 and only 🙂 

Unfortunately not BA but Cathay Pacific so out of luck at the moment, I rang my travel insurance today who said I'm not covered for the flights as my final destination(Japan) hasn't been black listed by the UK government yet.

I might be able to change the flights to somewhere else but it depends if they fly somewhere we want to visit. plus i'm still waiting to hear directly from NCL that my cruise has been cancelled

Thanks for the thought 🙂 


You're welcome.  Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anybody have the Spirit asia cruises cancelled from their account and the cruisenext vouchers refunded yet?

 

Our two cruises for June are still showing on the account (even though the cruises no longer exist), with cruisenexts applied, and no voucher.

 

Rob 

Edited by Rob_H
wrong ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tallaitart said:

Anyone still going on the revised NCL Spirit cruise from Cape Town ???/

Yes, we intend making the trip to Cape Town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Yes, we intend making the trip to Cape Town.

Great ...maybe we can meet up for a drink or seven ???!!!! on day two. Can you think of a bar we could meet ?? Let us know . We are a very young ...early 70 couple.... from Australia.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rob_H said:

Did anybody have the Spirit asia cruises cancelled from their account and the cruisenext vouchers refunded yet?

 

Our two cruises for June are still showing on the account (even though the cruises no longer exist), with cruisenexts applied, and no voucher.

 

Rob 

My November cruise is still appearing in my account. These changes take time. Refunds take even longer. Considering the massive amount of changes they are dealing with, the seven days promise for the FCC is just not realistic. There were roughly 4000 people on the Getaway TA last April and refunds and reimbursements for airfare changes took months.  This has got to include much more people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, desibee said:

I'm so disappointed.  This was going to be our very first cruising experience and now it's ruined.  How am I supposed to trust that any other cruise we book with NCL with this "10% discount" won't also be cancelled?

Cruise Lines very rarely cancel cruises.  They will sail after a Norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise or with the ship running at less than full power.  Its more likely they will cancel a port stop than cancel the full cruise.  

 

Yes the hype around this is probably making it worse than it really is but travel companies are not taking chances.  Disney has closed Shanghai Disneyland for two months and all the American airlines have suspended flying out of China.  Why help spread the outbreak?  Let's say 20,000 people in the US are going to die from the flu this season.  If preventing an outbreak in the US of coronavirus prevents killing another 10,000 people, why wouldn't you do everything to prevent it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...