Tender Ports - Weight Restrictions

LOVEMYMO

I knew of the restriction but have never received this message before. I do wonder if it was sent to everyone or only those who have needed help from the Access Department in the past. I don't think their data collection is that specific but I'm just curious.

1 minute ago, Zippeedee said:

I knew of the restriction but have never received this message before. I do wonder if it was sent to everyone or only those who have needed help from the Access Department in the past. I don't think their data collection is that specific but I'm just curious.

I received this message for our upcoming cruise and I don't require any assistant.

• Like 3

this is common from the access desk and these restrictions always been there 

due to the steps and uneven floor between ship and tender, it is true that lots of manual manpower is needed to lift and carry people up/down steps and over gaps 

it is also on their website: https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

• Like 1

I got it also and I don't need assistance.

However, it's good that everyone is made aware so people who are heavy shouldn't expect "more than a hand" to help with the transfer.  That puts the staff in an awkward position because the possibility of injuries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

I received this prior to our cruise in January on the Gem and have never required “help from the Access Department in the past” (nor do I require it now). 

I have seen some ugly situations with crew trying to help guests board tenders.  The tenders have been rocking about , bouncing up and down, the ramp and reach to step on board difficult.  I though several times the crew went beyond the call of duty to try and make it work.  Why they don't have more incidents and guests being dropped is credit to the crew, usually only two persons because of the limited operating area.  I can certainly understand a 100 lb limit.   I'm surprised it is that high.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

I got it also and I don't need assistance.

However, it's good that everyone is made aware so people who are heavy shouldn't expect "more than a hand" to help with the transfer.  That puts the staff in an awkward position because the possibility of injuries. 

We don't need assistance either.  Thinking that there may have been an incident and now there is a lawsuit.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I'm another who got it and has never required assistance before.  Well except that time after that booze cruise... 😉

• Like 1

I think it sensible to self monitor if there is a tender port. In my younger years I would think nothing

of it and actually felt like it was fun to bob up and down and traverse the sometimes steep and moving

ramp in and out of the tender. No more! Now that I am a senior citizen I find that even though I

don't need assistance( but definitely weigh over 100 pounds) I am just not that steady on my feet.

I even bought a folding cane to take on cruises (I don't normally use a cane, just for balance on the tenders ) but it

didn't really help. So I just stay on the ship. It is safer for me and also safer for everyone around me

including the crew.

I just received this notice for our cruise on the Jade in October (just as I received it for our January cruise on the Gem).   Until the Gem cruise, I'd never gotten a notice like this.   I think this must be a new NCL policy of making sure that all guests are aware that their cruise has tender ports (that's the first thing the notice says) and what the deal is if a guest needs assistance getting on and off a tender.

Communication is a good thing.  I'm happy if this is going to all guests.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, ziggyuk said:

It does cleary say in the small print the 100 lb limit is for people or equipment needing carrying or lifting, this is not about assisting by holding an arm or steading someone.

In all my cruising I never saw anyone being "carried or lifted".  However, I've seen people needing "more than a steadying hand" to get on/off tenders....like hands under the arm pits for a boost.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 1:00 PM, roger001 said:

I have seen some ugly situations with crew trying to help guests board tenders.  The tenders have been rocking about , bouncing up and down, the ramp and reach to step on board difficult.  I though several times the crew went beyond the call of duty to try and make it work.  Why they don't have more incidents and guests being dropped is credit to the crew, usually only two persons because of the limited operating area.  I can certainly understand a 100 lb limit.   I'm surprised it is that high.  

I've seen a few times the crew trying to help very obese people on and off a rocking tender. Its not only dangerous for the passenger it can be dangerous for the crew members. One man they were dealing with for about 5 minutes was told he was not able to board. I don't blame them, their is only so much crew members can do

• Like 1

Not only is there a problem at the gangway shipside but also at the tender port dock.

There are no consistent uniform applications getting from flat ship deck surfaces to the dock planking.

Wheelchairs in themselves don't weight much - but the occupant another category

Those Scooters can weigh twice as much as a wheel chair

I have yet to see any cruise line use what the airlines refer to as a stair chair ( a thin width gurney chair

to maneuver narrow hallways (jetways) and between rows of seats - could certainly be used by

cruise ships - but then those are unstable situations whereas going from ship to tender and tender to dock

there is a whole lot of Elvis movement shake rattle roll.

Frankly in the interest of everyone's safety - if a tender port is scheduled best that that party remain on

board unless there are calm seas and little or no movement issues. Also consider the weather - having

been calm going ashore and then changing for the worse making the return to ship a nightmare.

Not that a definite NO should be the answer - but certainly common sense should be the rule !

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 11:47 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

I just rec'd this message yesterday and I've never needed assistance either so, I'm thinking most, if not all, pax will receive the message. 

I also received the same message yesterday for a July 2021 cruise that will be my first with NCL.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, shof515 said:

this is common from the access desk and these restrictions always been there 

due to the steps and uneven floor between ship and tender, it is true that lots of manual manpower is needed to lift and carry people up/down steps and over gaps 

it is also on their website: https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

I am glad they are forewarning guests of the restriction and it is an excellent rule. It does affect a lot of people who would love to visit ports that require tender assistance, but it also protects the employees from injuring themselves or the guests from being injured. We had a situation last fall. I could not manage to get on a tender and the person who was assisting people was not strong enough to help that much This was not a NCL tender situation but  private company. I made the choice not to try to get onto the boat. It was hard not to do the tour but I am glad I made the choice and NCL did refund our money as it was a sponsored tour. Now 100 lbs might be a little unrealistic but I do understand the reason behind a restriction. 

What the notice really means is that "adults" need to be able to walk on and off the tender with minimal assistance.  There are very few adults under 100 lbs.

If they used a different "max weight"...lets say 150 lbs....the only way for the crew to deny someone is to put them on a scale.  And just imagine that scene........lol

• Like 1