CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

13 minutes ago, dega2 said:

Were they going to give on board credit before the Corona Virus outbreak and people started canceling or just since they noticed that people were canceling and the CDC recommends that no one should cruise at this time? I know I didn't hear about the $200 until last week.

it came out right around the time that ports were turning away ships and people were complying about not being able to cancel. 

if I recall correctly, RC came out the same day with the offer to rebook but no OBC for those who stayed with their current booking. 

I am wondering if there is a political reason (and by political, I do NOT mean Rep. vs Democrat) to toss cruiselines under the bus vs airlines. Aren't most of the large cruiselines held outside of the US? They are not actually US corporations? I know most, if not all, of the actual ships are registered overseas. Could this be a reason the government is quick to say "no cruising" vs no air travel?

Edited by bahacca

4 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Cruise lines employ a lot of American workers directly and indirectly , buy tons of stuff from US suppliers and pay US taxes. Why would any government want to throw cruise lines under the bus?

They were probably thinking the same thing and I can tell you first hand that they are extremely frustrated.  They were told to do every single thing to mitigate the problem and they think they did just that.  In the end, it comes down to numbers and ability to handle it if and when it occurs and (big and here) the experts are telling us all that the special needs group (those with underlying conditions) and elderly def should reconsider.    

If you think about it, each cruise ship likely has some level of a "standing order" pending for every cruise.

For example, say a 7-day cruise, and let's say departing every Sunday, it more likely than not that that ship has pretty much the same order delivered every Sunday. Cruise lines always try to go out full, and the purveyors of beef, fish, produce, fruit, cheese, soda, beer, booze, etc., have to have an idea of what the order is they have to fill, so it is likely all contracted and price negotiated in advance, why the idea of cancellations seem far-fetched. And if home port is say Miami, all the suppliers are Miami based.

You all raise a good point.  Most people don't seem to be concerned about catching the virus themselves, but the possibility of a long quarantine seems to be the reason for most cancellations.  If they had an instant test people could take in order to debark their numbers would probably go way up.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

it came out right around the time that ports were turning away ships and people were complying about not being able to cancel. 

if I recall correctly, RC came out the same day with the offer to rebook but no OBC for those who stayed with their current booking. 

So they are trying to entice people not to cancel with $200, that’s sad.

It wasn’t an enticement to me. 
I had already decided I was going to sail. $200 wasn’t going to change my mind one way or another but I was happy to have the option to cancel and even happier to have an unexpected $200. 

I am still watching new information coming out and there is a chance I will change my mind. The OBC factors in exactly 0%. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 9

😔 We decided to cancel & rebook for next year (3/20/21).   Hubby’s company already taking a big hit in the market & the thought of being possibly stuck at sea gave him some indigestion.  Southwest’s no charge to change or cancel even worked in our favor.     
If CDC hasn’t figured out a vaccine or solution to this in a year, we’re all screwed.  

Love our PVP as he helped us find the best deal and sort through the financial end of it.   Even picked up on the 1st ring!  Shoutout to the Carnival PVPs working their butts off right now.  👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

How many cruise ships are there? I saw an article that said about 230 world wide back in 2008. Currently we have two ships with significant breakout of the Corona Virus. Is that correct? fact check, because I've had trouble getting exact numbers, but two ships out of more than 230 ships is 8 tenths of a per cent. But reading the news, I think there may be up to about 10 ships that have been affected, not necessarily having a break out, which comes to 4 per cent. 

It's just the way I think about things, but the probability of your next cruise ship being impacted in any way is so slim I don't see why the panic. I've been cruising for over 25 years, of which there have been so many flu virus's like the swine flu, I can't name them all. Next year will be the same. 

Just take all the necessary precautions. For me, as far as the ship is concerned, the one you want to cruise on, consider where it's cruising, where it's been , and what impact has the ship experienced since this outbreak? I saw one article that said there is no significant danger if you're planning on cruising in the Caribbean, especially the Western Caribbean.

Also, remember the major impacts have not been in the US. Also, the ships vet each passenger before boarding, especially more so than airplanes, malls, stadiums, universities, etc. 

That's my two cents worth. Don't take my advice, just do your own thing. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, cruisingblond said:

I cancelled on Saturday but never received a confirmation nor have I seen a credit to my credit card yet.  I want to rebook asap but feel like I should have some sort of proof of my credit first, anyone know how long this is taking?  

Our PVP said give it at least 1 week if it's going back to the same card.  If it's going to a checking account or different card used to purchase it could take longer. 

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

😔 We decided to cancel & rebook for next year (3/20/21).   Hubby’s company already taking a big hit in the market & the thought of being possibly stuck at sea gave him some indigestion.  Southwest’s no charge to change or cancel even worked in our favor.     
If CDC hasn’t figured out a vaccine or solution to this in a year, we’re all screwed.  

Love our PVP as he helped us find the best deal and sort through the financial end of it.   Even picked up on the 1st ring!  Shoutout to the Carnival PVPs working their butts off right now.  👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

We did the same! Booked on the Mardi Gras March 2021! Our PVP handled it in about 10 minutes. 

Just now, RTR 21-0 said:

Our PVP said give it at least 1 week if it's going back to the same card.  If it's going to a checking account or different card used to purchase it could take longer. 

I thought they were just giving full cruise credit, wouldn't that just show up on your Carnival login? I would imagine it still takes some time for that to show up with all the sorting out. I'm glad there are options for everyone. No fun to go on vacation if you're gonna be worried. I'll wait until the last minute (31 March) to make my call, a lot can happen in 3 weeks. 

23 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I thought they were just giving full cruise credit, wouldn't that just show up on your Carnival login? I would imagine it still takes some time for that to show up with all the sorting out. I'm glad there are options for everyone. No fun to go on vacation if you're gonna be worried. I'll wait until the last minute (31 March) to make my call, a lot can happen in 3 weeks. 

I would think any excursions , prepaid gratuity etc. would go back to your card and the cruise credit to your account . I saw a form to fill out to apply the credit to your new booking # but I could be incorrect . Otherwise they have no guarantee that you will make a new booking . My cruise is in June .. not in the timeframe for a credit . Lots can happen . Hoping we are on the downside by then . 

26 minutes ago, HxFx said:

The 2021 cruise was a little less than the 2020 cruise so that's where the credit comes in for us.   The FCC was applied to the remaining.  

I have to say I was more concerned about catching the virus from the plane than the ship and had planned on packing extra books in case we were stuck at sea longer than 7 days.  But as you said, no fun going if hubs was gonna be worried the whole time.  Hope you get to keep your scheduled cruise 🤞🏻🙂

I was transferred to the "escalation dept"  and was told that the booking was cancelled and they had no ability to send a simple email to me to confirm my cancellation details.  Also, that it may take up to 3 weeks for credits to show on my credit cards.

I will re-book in the next few days to utilize my FCC but fear I will be told that it also takes weeks to show up.  The cancelled booking has been totally removed from my account.  If I make it to my cruise date of 3-28-20 with no cruise credit or FCC what proof do I have that I officially cancelled?  I did request to be assigned a PVP....we'll see...

For reasons that go beyond the virus, it looks like we may need to cancel.  I don't have a medical emergency but am beginning to have symptoms that COULD develop into a retina tear. Should that happen surgery is required within 24-48 hours, and having functional vision in that eye only all my life, I just can't take the chance of being at sea and having an episode like this take place.

We purchased the trip insurance (which we normally do not do) so I am wondering the chances of a cash refund and all future cruises seem to be no longer an option.  I tried to call Carnival, but no luck in getting through.

11 hours ago, cruisingblond said:

I was transferred to the "escalation dept"  and was told that the booking was cancelled and they had no ability to send a simple email to me to confirm my cancellation details.  Also, that it may take up to 3 weeks for credits to show on my credit cards.

I will re-book in the next few days to utilize my FCC but fear I will be told that it also takes weeks to show up.  The cancelled booking has been totally removed from my account.  If I make it to my cruise date of 3-28-20 with no cruise credit or FCC what proof do I have that I officially cancelled?  I did request to be assigned a PVP....we'll see...

I received a cancellation email within 5 minutes of cancelling, and my credit card got credited 2 days later.  I booked a new cruise the next day, and the FCC was on my account already. (I couldn't see it but my pvp could) The other things I had pre-charged (bottomless bev., internet, water) will be credited back to my credit card in 2-3 weeks.  I had contacted my pvp this past Friday right before the "official" email started to go out about cancelling, so I might have beat the rush.  I think CCL is swamped with cancellations right now.  If you have a cruise in mind and are ready to rebook, and the patience to wait on the phone go for it!