Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sapphire_407

CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

 

 

^^^ This is exactly the situation I worried about when the Caribbean Princess was being denied port stops in the Caribbean because of FEAR.  We, and, I'd bet, a majority of cruisers cruise for ports.  Otherwise, why not just book a resort or all-inclusive somewhere?  The point of a cruise for many is to explore new ports and new locales and new cultures.

 

I do not know of a single cruiseline that sells 7 day cruises to nowhere.  Add to that -  a cruise to nowhere + the risk of catching a virus and/or of being quarantined for 2 weeks.  This is a huge problem that was absolutely foreseeable as soon as the Caribbean Princess and other ships were denied port stops.

 

We still have a little under 3 weeks to decide, and 2 cruises on our ship before we have to make that decision.

 

 

I'm sailing on the MSC Seaside on Saturday with the same itinerary that was just cancelled for the Meraviglia.  At this point I'm going into this expecting to miss all our ports, but we chose that ship for a reason so I think we will be ok either way.

 

Just frustrating that literally nothing can be wrong and your plans can still completely derail for nothing more than media driven fear.  But that is the world in which we live.  Fear and controversy sells, keeping calm does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:


This made me wonder about the testing process. Does every cruise ship now have test kits on board? And what happens— they send the swabs to Atlanta? Which will take how long? When and where was this crew member tested? The San Antonio quarantine people waited 4 days for results.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

The test for influenza is pretty standard and all ships should have the kits on hand.  You get those results back in about 10-15 minutes.  And yes, influenza and coronavirus are two different bugs, so the test should be pretty definitive.  MSC is being very publicly adamant that there is no coronavirus on any of their ships, which they would be legally foolish to do if they didn't know that for a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beardface said:


Fear and controversy sells, keeping calm does not.

This, and also the idea that it is better (or looks better) to be seen doing something in response to a problem, even if the something actually makes things worse.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

This, and also the idea that it is better (or looks better) to be seen doing something in response to a problem, even if the something actually makes things worse.  

 

 

 

Seriously, just ask anyone who recently got off the Westerdam their opinion on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The test for influenza is pretty standard and all ships should have the kits on hand.  You get those results back in about 10-15 minutes.  And yes, influenza and coronavirus are two different bugs, so the test should be pretty definitive.  MSC is being very publicly adamant that there is no coronavirus on any of their ships, which they would be legally foolish to do if they didn't know that for a fact.

I guess I kind of overlapped my questions. Yes for flu it’s simple but what is the process for covid? Like let’s say the flu test would’ve been negative— what would the protocol then be? There’s just so many moving pieces to this.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:


You also might check with your credit card benefits. I called mine today and they are telling me they will cover the non-refundable portion from carnival. I haven’t pushed to get a supervisor to confirm bc I’m not canceling yet, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the suggestion! I used my Carnival Credit Card which is new to me, have only used it for Carnival expenses but they are substantial with this trip. I am going to start looking into my trip insurance first but will call Barclays too since I used that card. Right now I am just gathering as much information as I can so we can make the most informed decision possible when the time comes.

 

At this moment I am hoping more for a way to cancel without financial loss rather than going on the cruise. I am beginning to think, but don’t actually know, that if the situation keeps getting worse and worse it will get to the point Carnival will find a way to let people cancel without penalty. Future cruise credit within a reasonable time would be fine with me, don’t require a refund. I am probably way off base but still hoping. We’ll see, I will proceed with my homework, it’s all I can do for now. There must be  a ton of us with upcoming cruises that are in the same boat! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beardface said:

 

The test for influenza is pretty standard and all ships should have the kits on hand.  You get those results back in about 10-15 minutes.  And yes, influenza and coronavirus are two different bugs, so the test should be pretty definitive.  MSC is being very publicly adamant that there is no coronavirus on any of their ships, which they would be legally foolish to do if they didn't know that for a fact.

 

 

Ummmm.... HAL's Westerdam stated that there was no Corona on board as did Cambodia and then Malaysia said a woman off the Westerdam twice tested positive.  That woman has traveled not only on that cruise, but also a bus and plane before being diagnosed and now the virus is worldwide. 

 

Who's to say she wasn't a carrier who infected others that then spread out worldwide? Or, maybe, as HAL and Cambodia are saying, Malaysia's test was wrong?  The point is, there is really no way to know, so these small islands are exercising as much caution as possible.

 

If all of my family and friends lived on one remote island with very limited medical supplies and facilities, I'd probably do the same thing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hawkeye93 said:


I guess I kind of overlapped my questions. Yes for flu it’s simple but what is the process for covid? Like let’s say the flu test would’ve been negative— what would the protocol then be? There’s just so many moving pieces to this.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

 

Why can't you have Flu and Corona?  You can have pneumonia and Corona.  I don't get it.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
Why can't you have Flu and Corona?  You can have pneumonia and Corona.  I don't get it.  
 
 

My assumption is that since they are 2 different viruses, you have one or the other and not both. I base that on articles such as this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu%3famp=true


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

 

 

Why can't you have Flu and Corona?  You can have pneumonia and Corona.  I don't get it.  

 

 

 

The pneumonia is generally a complication from the flu or coronavirus based on a compromised immune system that opens you up to an infection of the lungs.

 

Flu and Coronavirus are two different viruses that hit you in the same way.  Related, but different.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I used my Carnival Credit Card which is new to me, have only used it for Carnival expenses but they are substantial with this trip. I am going to start looking into my trip insurance first but will call Barclays too since I used that card. Right now I am just gathering as much information as I can so we can make the most informed decision possible when the time comes.

 

At this moment I am hoping more for a way to cancel without financial loss rather than going on the cruise. I am beginning to think, but don’t actually know, that if the situation keeps getting worse and worse it will get to the point Carnival will find a way to let people cancel without penalty. Future cruise credit within a reasonable time would be fine with me, don’t require a refund. I am probably way off base but still hoping. We’ll see, I will proceed with my homework, it’s all I can do for now. There must be  a ton of us with upcoming cruises that are in the same boat! 

My feelings exactly....first cruise with the entire family (10 of us) in May and spent over 10,000, which is a lot of money for us. It was everyone’s Xmas present. We are hoping Carnival makes the decision to offer a cruise credit, which we are fine with, and we don’t lose that money. We having been cruising with Carnival over 15 yrs, twice a year and if this ends bad we will be done. I’m so sad for my kids and grandkids about this 🥺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there!

I wanted to ask if each person can turn on or off the AC of his room or is it a conditioning system that the people don’t have control over?
 

and if I can control it (turn it off), it is not possible for air conditioning from other rooms to move into my room, is that correct? 
 

thank you!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beardface said:

 

MSC Meraviglia was just denied porting at Cozumel as well.  For the record, there is no coronavirus on the ship, the crew member in question has the common flu and has not been in any quarantined region during the quarantine period

 

This situation is going to get really messy in the Caribbean if these islands are going to start locking down their ports for cases of influenza.

 

 

The MSC ship is on approach to Cozumel and looks be docking there tonight.  The officials in Coz must have had a change of heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The MSC ship is on approach to Cozumel and looks be docking there tonight.  The officials in Coz must have had a change of heart.

Are they disembarking?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:


Are they disembarking?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

No docked yet but I would assume so if they are allowing them to dock. The ship is just off the coast of Coz coming around the west side of the island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ozzie0075 said:

 

No docked yet but I would assume so if they are allowing them to dock. The ship is just off the coast of Coz coming around the west side of the island. 

 

We'll see if it happens.  There are supposedly documents out there that they've been officially denied, and the bridge crew might not even know.

 

Who knows, there is so, so much disinformation out there regarding coronavirus right now that it's truly difficult to decipher any truth about any situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beardface said:

 

We'll see if it happens.  There are supposedly documents out there that they've been officially denied, and the bridge crew might not even know.

 

Who knows, there is so, so much disinformation out there regarding coronavirus right now that it's truly difficult to decipher any truth about any situation.

 

I appears MSC and Mexico cut a deal and they will be docking tonight and stay until 6:00pm tomorrow.  https://newsreportmx.com/2020/02/26/mexico-recibira-crucero-meraviglia-que-jamaica-rechazo-por-temor-a-coronavirus/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I appears MSC and Mexico cut a deal and they will be docking tonight and stay until 6:00pm tomorrow.  https://newsreportmx.com/2020/02/26/mexico-recibira-crucero-meraviglia-que-jamaica-rechazo-por-temor-a-coronavirus/

This would be really good news. I hope it’s true as the last thing I read from Reuters was disembarking was denied. However, that article was several hours ago so I’m hoping things changed. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-mexico-idUSKCN20K2S9


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be really good news. I hope it’s true as the last thing I read from Reuters was disembarking was denied. However, that article was several hours ago so I’m hoping things changed. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-mexico-idUSKCN20K2S9


Sent from my iPhone using Forums


Yay! It looks like it was, indeed, retracted and they will be allowed to disembark. This is excellent news. https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/msc-meraviglia-cruise-ship-dock-cozumel-mexico-despite-coronavirus-fears


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came across this news article, and it is the most comprehensive article regarding those effected and where they were when they tested positive:

 

"

These are the countries where novel coronavirus cases have been confirmed worldwide

CNNFebruary 26, 2020, 7:58 PM CST
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:


My assumption is that since they are 2 different viruses, you have one or the other and not both. I base that on articles such as this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu%3famp=true


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been following the story of a couple from the Diamond Princess, David and Sally Abel.  They have posted many videos throughout the quarantine.  They both tested positive for the flu and Covid 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2xsin12mths said:

My feelings exactly....first cruise with the entire family (10 of us) in May and spent over 10,000, which is a lot of money for us. It was everyone’s Xmas present. We are hoping Carnival makes the decision to offer a cruise credit, which we are fine with, and we don’t lose that money. We having been cruising with Carnival over 15 yrs, twice a year and if this ends bad we will be done. I’m so sad for my kids and grandkids about this 🥺

I hear you, we are in to the tune of $8000.  I think I would get back $2000 in port fees, gratuities, excursions and other pre-paid items.  This trip is a big expense for us, we will not be able to do it later if we don’t get credit or a refund and  I am not totally giving up on taking the cruise. 
 

I did go over my trip insurance policy, it is with TravelSafe, I bought it from InsureMyTrip.com. I couldn’t find anything under trip cancellation regarding a pandemic, it only mentions quarantine as it pertains to not being able to leave if you are under quarantine. It also mentions a State Department Travel Advisory in traveling to specified destinations due to an outbreak of contagious disease but I don’t see how that helps as the ship would not go to a place under an advisory. I will call and talk to them tomorrow, I am sure they are getting lots of questions about this issue. 
 

Boy, things really took a turn for the worse the past 24 hours, hopefully there is good news coming and we will be able to take the cruise without worry. I will report back what I find out from the insurance company and my CC company. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

First positive news I have seen on the topic, related because it talks of infected people removed from the Diamond Princess.  
https://www.krqe.com/health/coronavirus/study-begins-in-us-to-test-possible-coronavirus-treatment/

 

Totally agree jimbo! Everyone should read this article! Many thanks for posting jimbo!! 👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've been following the story of a couple from the Diamond Princess, David and Sally Abel.  They have posted many videos throughout the quarantine.  They both tested positive for the flu and Covid 19.

This is great info. I followed some of their videos but couldn’t figure out exactly what was going on. If they tested positive for both, I’m not sure what that means for the data we are seeing.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...