Cruise Critic Community
sapphire_407

CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

39 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

OH wait.  I just noticed mine.  It now says "Do not post about Coronavirus on Roll Calls if you aren't sailing on that cruise".  So option #2. 

To me the only ambiguous thing would be say you have been on the roll call but now due to fear of coronavirus and have cancelled. can you post that? Or can you now no longer on the cruise continue to post as you have befriended some of the others on the roll call still intending to sail?

Effective Immediately: Do not post about Coronavirus on Roll Calls if you aren't sailing on that cruise!!

This is the banner I had at the top of the thread.  I have two cruises booked but one has a very slow roll call so I am also participating in a roll call with the same line/itinerary but different date.  My interpretation is that I can post about Coronavirus on the two Roll Calls for sailings I have booked, but not the one with the different date.

I personally feel there is enough information on the 3-5 other Coronavirus specific threads that I only discuss on the roll call as it specifically effects that cruise - like the Carnival Policy update today.

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Who can argue with the logic.  On a ship with 6400, I question how they can do all those things and get people on before sail time.  What if people do not think they are sick (and are not with anything like Carona?  What if someone who has asthma(like me) does not have baseline numbers?  What if some runs a temp over 100?  Not expecting you to have those answers.  As I said...wow

In 2003/2004 I traveled to Asia regularly for work. Back then it was the Avian flu. At the airports they had some kind of thermal sensing cameras that relayed a visible light image onto a monitor to determine who was running hot. If your image had enough red in it they stopped you and took a proper temperature (with a laser beam). It was pretty quick (and that was over 15 years ago). I imagine the cruise lines could do something similar. I'm kinda surprised they don't do this already.

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

OH wait.  I just noticed mine.  It now says "Do not post about Coronavirus on Roll Calls if you aren't sailing on that cruise".  So option #2. 

HAHA ok - I was hoping that's what it meant so that's good.  It was definitely worded badly the first time 😛

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, HxFx said:

In 2003/2004 I traveled to Asia regularly for work. Back then it was the Avian flu. At the airports they had some kind of thermal sensing cameras that relayed a visible light image onto a monitor to determine who was running hot. If your image had enough red in it they stopped you and took a proper temperature (with a laser beam). It was pretty quick (and that was over 15 years ago). I imagine the cruise lines could do something similar. I'm kinda surprised they don't do this already.

I would prefer they use these, actually.

😆

http://www.fever-bugz.com/

Is Fever-Bugz suitable for adults?

Fever-Bugz® is appropriate for all ages above 12 months.

😁
Edited by WorkerBee74

26 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Might not be a bad idea, of course getting them, staffing the terminals, instituting procedures when a temp outside parameters is found, building escalation procedures and protocols, ensuring everything can be completed prior to boarding in the timeframe etc all take time.  

7 hours ago, teacher32 said:

Not a hoax.  From John Heald's mouth earlier this morning.

Where did you see this from John Heald?

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

"Effective Immediately: Posts about Coronavirus by those NOT sailing on a Roll Call are not allowed."

This banner popped up about 10 minutes ago. I'm not sure what that means. Anybody know?

A lot of roll calls seem to have folks NOT on the applicable cruise jumping in with general comments\opinions etc about the virus, some disruptive, peddling false info etc.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ridgerunner51 said:

It was on a live video this morning that you can still watch.  I watched it myself to confirm.  

Edited by 1kaper
to add link to video

2 minutes ago, ridgerunner51 said:

I received the email from our travel agent about 3 hours ago. It is not a hoax and we are still scheduled to leave tomorrow. We are having a family meeting tonight to finalize, but I dont think any of the 6 are planning to cancel as of now. I am just glad they are giving us a choice.

6 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

A lot of roll calls seem to have folks NOT on the applicable cruise jumping in with general comments\opinions etc about the virus, some disruptive, peddling false info etc.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Ahhh, ok I see. Thank you Carolyn!

20 hours ago, Kmp123 said:

We have a cruise from Miami to ocho Rios and grand cayman March 23. We cannot get our money back for cancelling. We don’t want to cancel it’s our honeymoon. Not worried about getting sick but very worried about getting stuck on the boat the whole time or quarantined. Should we be worried? It’s our first cruise and we were so looking forward to it before all of this mess.  

We were to go on the brand new Panorama this past Saturday. We paid fully and gave up our reservation due to the same reason you are. I am not worried about the Corona virus but the loss of income for three weeks?  We cut our losses. 

Only you can make the decision but I didn’t want you to think you’re the only one. People all the board seems to have no worries. We did. 

deb

19 minutes ago, dairyou said:

We were to go on the brand new Panorama this past Saturday. We paid fully and gave up our reservation due to the same reason you are. I am not worried about the Corona virus but the loss of income for three weeks?  We cut our losses. 

Only you can make the decision but I didn’t want you to think you’re the only one. People all the board seems to have no worries. We did. 

deb

I feel certain you are very much not alone.  People were cancelling cruises and forfeiting thousands of dollars BEFORE this policy was put into place.  You can bet many more will be doing the same thing now that you can get what you have paid as a FCC.

Plenty of time to cruise in the future while this virus stuff all gets sorted.  Nobody knows where this all goes from here. 

Posted (edited)

In case anyone cares since I have been blabbing on for days on my personal situation I will share the ending which was beyond my highest hopes. I was able to cancel my April 4th Vista cruise and rebook it for July 25th. I had an Ocean Suite and a balcony for three on deck 7 and switched to a spa balcony and balcony for three on deck 11 for the new sailing. 

I put the new cruise on hold last night and finally got through to Carnival this afternoon after an hour or two of trying off and on but only getting the busy signal. I was a bit anxious to get through as I had put the new cruise on hold last night and the price had already gone up today. When I finally got through I was on hold for 15 minutes or so and the call took another hour+ with the agent but I am beyond satisfied with the outcome. 

Throughout the phone call I was patient and appreciative, I can only imagine what the agents have been going through during the Coronavirus health scare and now the new cancellation policy. I don’t think I could deal with it! They applied the 50% cruise fare cancellation penalty for both rooms as a credit to each cabin, the rest of the cruise fare, along with pre-paid gratuities, shore excursions and all pre-board purchases were refunded to my CC. I also paid $1000 in deposits via CC but that will be more than covered with the refunds. In the end the new cruise is $4 cheaper. 

I am thrilled with our new cabins, up high where the action is, close to Camp Ocean and the water park for the grandson and super excited about taking a summer cruise which I’ve never experienced.  I couldn’t be happier, hope it works out as well for everyone, happy sailing!  

Edited by LaRue1975

15 hours ago, hawkeye93 said:

How did price compare? I’m curious.

The fact that we have no airfare since we can drive to the port makes all the difference. It’s the main reason I’ve not yet canceled. I’ve never been afraid of this virus but I *am* afraid of a quarantine (ports also matter to me and we’ve never been to GC which is why i chose this specific itinerary. I know others don’t cruise for ports but for us it’s a big part—Belize vs GC makes a diff to me but I know I’m in the minority in that). My husband would lose his ever-loving mind in a quarantine (which means i would lose mine) and he also has a big work conference 10 days after we return. My other concern is my son is bringing his girlfriend and it harder to be responsible for someone else’s “kid” (they are 21 but still). The week we return BOTH of them are taking grad school entrance exams— so a quarantine would really screw up a lot of things. So many moving pieces. I have 14 days to make a decision. I’m just glad carnival did this to help those whose cruise date is very soon. Options are always a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that’s a lot of extenuating circumstances, with the new policy you have choices. I just posted my results in this thread so you can read it, I could not be more happy with the outcome. I didn’t think we could afford to cruise during the summer but this year evidently we can! 

The kids are going to go ahead with their Disney Cruise in two weeks because their ship is the cleanest one out there, can’t argue with that, lol! It will be so nice for them to to now have a few months between cruses instead of a week. 

If you do decide to call and rebook be patient, it will be worth it in the end. They are swamped as expected but treated me very well, I am extremely satisfied with the price, cabins and cost. Have a great cruise whatever you decide! 

4 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

I think that’s a lot of extenuating circumstances, with the new policy you have choices. I just posted my results in this thread so you can read it, I could not be more happy with the outcome. I didn’t think we could afford to cruise during the summer but this year evidently we can! 

The kids are going to go ahead with their Disney Cruise in two weeks because their ship is the cleanest one out there, can’t argue with that, lol! It will be so nice for them to to now have a few months between cruses instead of a week. 

If you do decide to call and rebook be patient, it will be worth it in the end. They are swamped as expected but treated me very well, I am extremely satisfied with the price, cabins and cost. Have a great cruise whatever you decide! 

While cleanliness of a ship is always a comforting thought, this virus did not come from, nor get spread by non clean conditions.  

Posted (edited)

THE ONLY THING THAT CONCERNS ME IS THAT IF ONE PERSON TESTS POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS ON THE SHIP , IS IT  TRUE , THE SHIP MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PORT IN THE  U.S UNTIL EVERYBODY IS TESTED  

Edited by shipbound2
WORDING

6 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

In case anyone cares since I have been blabbing on for days on my personal situation I will share the ending which was beyond my highest hopes. I was able to cancel my April 4th Vista cruise and rebook it for July 25th. I had an Ocean Suite and a balcony for three on deck 7 and switched to a spa balcony and balcony for three on deck 11 for the new sailing. 

I put the new cruise on hold last night and finally got through to Carnival this afternoon after an hour or two of trying off and on but only getting the busy signal. I was a bit anxious to get through as I had put the new cruise on hold last night and the price had already gone up today. When I finally got through I was on hold for 15 minutes or so and the call took another hour+ with the agent but I am beyond satisfied with the outcome. 

Throughout the phone call I was patient and appreciative, I can only imagine what the agents have been going through during the Coronavirus health scare and now the new cancellation policy. I don’t think I could deal with it! They applied the 50% cruise fare cancellation penalty for both rooms as a credit to each cabin, the rest of the cruise fare, along with pre-paid gratuities, shore excursions and all pre-board purchases were refunded to my CC. I also paid $1000 in deposits via CC but that will be more than covered with the refunds. In the end the new cruise is $4 cheaper. 

I am thrilled with our new cabins, up high where the action is, close to Camp Ocean and the water park for the grandson and super excited about taking a summer cruise which I’ve never experienced.  I couldn’t be happier, hope it works out as well for everyone, happy sailing!  

Great outcome.  I'm glad it all worked out so well for you.

14 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Not a bad idea.  I trust they will implement a system to keep the check in process running smoothly and efficiently.

I agree, the logistics can be daunting for someone whose tamp is up, lets hope that is a minimum.  

Good morning , 

does anyone know if the task force /lead by VP Pence met with the cruise industry leaders yet?  
wondering  since the ship off Cali now has some positives aboard and the ordering of expanded testing of pax , will the gov alone with the lines  take further action .. ?

6 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

Good morning , 

does anyone know if the task force /lead by VP Pence met with the cruise industry leaders yet?  
wondering  since the ship off Cali now has some positives aboard and the ordering of expanded testing of pax , will the gov alone with the lines  take further action .. ?

Let me break out my Ouija board !!

BEST reason not to cruise right now is the slim chance of becoming part of a bobbing petri dish as sea, basically stuck in your cabin. 

I cancelled a Celebrity sailing for the end of this month, but I actually did that in December for unrelated reasons. It was our office cruise. That takes a lot of pressure off my staff now as well, as it turns out.

Tom

24 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

Good morning , 

The task for e is meeting with industry heads today.  All lines have increased the pre cruise testing to include temp readings and enhanced questionnaires.   They are doing their very best.