CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

10 hours ago, M2LR said:

Sure cruises bring lots of people close together but so do many other things. Are they going to close Disney World?  I feel far more crowded there and if someone gets sick can they account for every person that was there that day like on a cruise? Only targeting certain things doesn't make sense. If you are going to quarantine you have to shut it all down like they did in China. Not necessarily advocating that just picking and choosing is not an effective strategy.  

I have thought of this very thing for a year.  Last March, myself, sister and her daughters, went to Disney and Universal for 5 days, ending with a three day cruise. The last day of our trip, I left the Animal Kingdom and came back to the room for the day.  My sister and I were so sick during our cruise, and then even more sick when we got home.  I missed another entire week of work.  We got sick at one of the parks, period!  Lots of people from all over the world, mixing with our citizens can and do cause a big mix of germs, that are easy to pass along. 

11 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think cruise ships are being targeted not because a person is more likely to spread it on a cruise ship, but because if someone tests positive then the government has to deal with the logistics if the cruise ship's main port is in the US.

Anyone traveling on public transportation or going to places like Disney World is just as much at risk of catching the virus.  The difference is that when going to these places, it's much harder to pinpoint the place of exposure.  I think people who are fearful of this virus might do well to rethink all public places.  But then again, I also think it's unavoidable.  Obviously, the government isn't going to shut down all of the airports, amusement parks, and public places.  The virus will run its course.  Next year there will be a vaccine.

I agree that the cruise ship adds the extra problem of logistics.
But, again, the information that I got directly from the head doctor for the province in charge of public health response here disagrees that there is just as much risk being out in public. The concern it is spreads easier with people in shared living spaces. Like among families, but also in places like seniors home and universities residences. And cruise ships.  
not that you can or won’t get infected in public, but the risk of transmission is higher among those living in close quarters. 
Add to that the strain of several thousand extra people that aren’t from that area, trying to find a place to dock and quarantine them without introducing the virus to the regular population. Cruise ships are a nightmare in this circumstance. 
Plus we have already seen two outbreaks in cruise ships.  We have not seen outbreaks in all inclusives or a large number of cases traced back to somewhere like Disney. 
I expect we are going to see other places come up but right now, cruise ships have already started. 

Edited by 1kaper

Seems to me, unlike cruise ships (or planes), attendance at places like Disney or Universal, aside from being mostly open-air are non-reporting and anonymous.

If someone falls ill a few days after attending any of these parks, the parks will have no idea, unless of course the attendee calls them and tells them, which I find unlikely.

These parks can "appear" virus free for weeks, but we have no way of knowing how attendees are feeling days following a visit.

Ship is confined, the air is recycled (This was a problem a scientist had with the ship help off of Japan). The air systems don't confine the A/C system is certain areas, or at least not enough. Planes at least cycle the air every few minutes fresh air

They just closed 2 universities in NY area to help control spread of the virus. (Hofstra and Columbia)  Closing this week (with next week as Spring break) would leave a 2 week "gap" where students are not in close promimity to each other, hopefully slowing the spread.  Hofstra has 1 student with suspected coronavirus.  I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in closings which will come about in NY.  As far as the state dept. recommendation on cruising - they are also just trying to slow down the spread of the virus.  Here in NY we now supposedly have 400 cases - up from 200 yesterday.   Scary stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pe4all said:

They just closed 2 universities in NY area to help control spread of the virus. (Hofstra and Columbia)  Closing this week (with next week as Spring break) would leave a 2 week "gap" where students are not in close promimity to each other, hopefully slowing the spread.  Hofstra has 1 student with suspected coronavirus.  I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in closings which will come about in NY.  As far as the state dept. recommendation on cruising - they are also just trying to slow down the spread of the virus.  Here in NY we now supposedly have 400 cases - up from 200 yesterday.   Scary stuff.

Yup

3 minutes ago, pe4all said:

... Here in NY we now supposedly have 400 cases - up from 200 yesterday.   Scary stuff.

Yep - similar to the concept of starting with a penny and doubling it daily. But we do, at least theoretically, have the ability to intercede.

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep - similar to the concept of starting with a penny and doubling it daily. But we do, at least theoretically, have the ability to intercede.

One can only hope

From what I read, Oakland is setting up a fence on 11 acres & preparing to "whisk away" passengers on the princess to military bases & their respective home countries for a 14 day incubation period.  Why can't/don't they incubate them for 14 days in Oakland at a base (or the 11 acres) to prevent more spread of the virus through travel? If this has been asked previously on this thread I apologize.  I'm lazy this morning & didn't want to look back 33 pages.  

3 minutes ago, RTR 21-0 said:

From what I read, Oakland is setting up a fence on 11 acres & preparing to "whisk away" passengers on the princess to military bases & their respective home countries for a 14 day incubation period.  Why can't/don't they incubate them for 14 days in Oakland at a base (or the 11 acres) to prevent more spread of the virus through travel? If this has been asked previously on this thread I apologize.  I'm lazy this morning & didn't want to look back 33 pages.  

Interesting. Can you post a link on the article you read?

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Why can't/don't they incubate them for 14 days in Oakland at a base (or the 11 acres) to prevent more spread of the virus through travel? 

Canada is chartering a plane to repatriate Canadians  http://ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/feds-chartering-plane-to-repatriate-canadians-on-california-cruise-ship-1.4844048

From the article - “This decision was made following a request for assistance from the Government of the United States to repatriate Canadians,” 

14 hours ago, bugaler said:

But the government says please fly. And fly internationally. 🤦🏼‍♀️  Flying is how it got here in the first place. Until they ban air travel they shouldn’t ban cruise ships. Planes are super gross. They don’t even sanitize them worth a crap between flights. Let’s put 100+ people on a metal tube with recycled air but cruise ships are the problem...

I agree. Until they ban flying, I believe everything else is wasted effort. Nobody gets their temperature taken before flying. You can be as sick as a dog and still get to fly.  Airports are dirty places in general. People are flying From all over the world. Some may not even realize they are contagious. I think airports are a  much bigger risk than cruise ships as far as contracting something.

• Like 2

Maybe fence is to keep people out, not passengers in.  Newsreporters, curiosity seekers, etc.  And putting all 3500 on one base might just be overwhelming to care for, feed, etc.  Divide and conquer!

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

(A local Orlando ABC News Channel)

c42OJcCX_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: The Florida Department of Health is now advising anyone who travels ANYWHERE internationally to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. This is going to have a huge impact on our workforce in Florida. #COVID19 #coronavirus

30 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:
(A local Orlando ABC News Channel)

c42OJcCX_bigger.jpg

BREAKING: The Florida Department of Health is now advising anyone who travels ANYWHERE internationally to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. This is going to have a huge impact on our workforce in Florida. #COVID19 #coronavirus

That's just silly - as, soon enough, there will be at least as much risk domestically (in terms of crossing paths with a carrier). But, then again, until we REALLY start testing - we've no idea. I doubt ignorance will be bliss.

23 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I don’t believe it is supposed to change people minds but is a bonus for those who don’t. 

it appears there are lots of people who are willing to get on a ship. My cruise is not quite sold out but is mostly and has stayed that way for days now. At this point I am still willing to go but I am monitoring the situation. 

I don’t know why this is a knock against Carnival. I thought they are doing pretty decent by allowing people to cancel and get future cruise credit in situations where cancelling otherwise would have meant losing 75-100% of the cost of the cruise. 
and the $200 is a nice bonus to those who still want to go. 

Were they going to give on board credit before the Corona Virus outbreak and people started canceling or just since they noticed that people were canceling and the CDC recommends that no one should cruise at this time? I know I didn't hear about the $200 until last week.

Here is my take for what's it worth. 56,000 thousand people died of the flu last year. 18,000 people have died of the flu so far this year. Are cruise ships a breeding ground....of course but we all know this when we book. Carnival is actively cleaning and trying to take steps to help the process. How many go through Walmart or a grocery store on a daily basis?? You know for a fact that those stores are cleaning as aggressive as the ships are. How about home Depot?? In my town they are ALL self check out now. I would put money on it that the scan guns aren't being wiped or cleaned after each customer does a self check out. Is there a risk? Yes for sure but there is just as much risk walking into the mall in your hometown. There are 4000 on the ship and 22 million in the state of FL... which odds are better??

• Like 2

Orleans Parish (City of New Orleans) has its 1st presumptive case & patient being hospitalized in neighboring hospital.   No other confirmed reports in La. & no word on where/how patient may have contracted.  

Edited by RTR 21-0