CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

Just now, bahacca said:

Someone mentioned that there may be a 14 day quarantine in Houston for anyone who traveled outside of the country. Was unclear as to if that would mean for people at airports, city workers, etc.

Seems over the top, but thats just me.  

14 minutes ago, sunprairie1979 said:

Again, I don't care if the feds reject it or not. If the cruise companies are the one's suggesting they shouldn't allow 70 years olds on their cruise ships, then THEY should implement that immediately. If the Feds were suggesting this, then it would be fair for the cruise industry to push back. But this plan is from the cruise industry. If it is a big enough concern to have been submitted to the government, then it should be accompanied with an immediate implementation on the cruise ships that they own and run.

What cruise lines are saying is that you have been warned. So cruise at your own risk. There is no need for them to implement anything given those 70+ are all adults who can make their own decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, sfaaa said:

What cruise lines are saying is that you have been warned. So cruise at your own risk. There is no need for them to implement anything given those 70+ are all adults who can make their own decisions.

That is not what this new plan submitted by the cruise industry yesterday says. That plan, per USA Today, says "According to the proposal, boarding should be denied to any person over the age of 70 years unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel on a cruise ship, according to a person familiar with the situation but not authorized to speak publicly." I can't think of a doctor in this country that would take on the liability of writing a note like that in the United States right now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

• Like 2

Ok- I watched the mayor of Houston Video. He is recommending that citizens in the Houston area quarantine for 14 days after travel outside the US, avoid visiting nursing homes if you have just travelled. he did NOT say they would be quaranting people. 

And, Jimbo, I used the extreme example because that extreme is what people are now preparing for and, in doing so, hoping to avoid.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bahacca said:

Ok- I watched the mayor of Houston Video. He is recommending that citizens in the Houston area quarantine for 14 days after travel outside the US, avoid visiting nursing homes if you have just travelled. he did NOT say they would be quaranting people. 

And, Jimbo, I used the extreme example because that extreme is what people are now preparing for and, in doing so, hoping to avoid.

I agree.  I watched the Houston conference also (my husbands company had rodeo tickets and booths) and my overall perception from that AND dr fauci today is that without “aggressive containment” the numbers involved could go into “many millions”.  Fauci’s words not mine.  Extreme measures are reality now.   

Edited by hawkeye93

29 minutes ago, bahacca said:

It is over the top, but if the poop hits the fan like in Italy....

It will. Expecting to miss my doctor husband maybe for weeks. He will have to stay at the hospital during this.

42 minutes ago, bahacca said:

Maybe I misinterpreted your post.  I just saw the governor of Florida basically say the same thing, that people who cruise cannot or should not visit people in nursing homes that have cruised. 

30 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

I agree.  I watched the Houston conference also (my husbands company had rodeo tickets and booths) and my overall perception from that AND dr fauci today is that if “Aggressive containment” the numbers involved could go into “many millions”.  Fauci’s words not mine.  Extreme measures are reality now.   

He's also said,,,,from The Week

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told lawmakers during a House Oversight Committee hearing Wednesday that COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — is probably about 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

4 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Thanks for posting this! Does the cancellation policy (refund minus deposit if cancel more than 56 days) apply to ALL sailings or just ones up until May 31?

My final payment for a June European sailing is due March 21 and I have been trying to find out when I have to cancel to only be out my deposit.  I want to go on the cruise if possible because it has taken a massive amount of planning, but do to kids and husband's job, we cannot risk a quarantine. 

As hard as it is, if you cannot risk the quarantine (or other related delays) then I think you have your answer 😞 

4 hours ago, AmBear said:

Blood tests for my physical next week, not going!

County next to us just reported a 47 yr old tested positive yesterday! 

Like others have said, its been here for likely a month, many might have had it, and are ok, others might have it now, and are spreading it, wish they'd lock down the senior homes!

At least one of our local nursing homes is in quarantine - no cases and they want to keep it that way.  I'm not sure if employees are having to sleep there or if they can come and go.

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Hmmmm....seeing how I am now 72, my first knee jerk reaction is that this is pretty draconian. BUT, I cannot disagree with this proposal. Maybe draconian measures are now justified, since WHO has declared this to be a pandemic. But what do I know. I"m just a simple country boy. Come on HOT weather! 

This is one of my concerns - that we are going to willingly and eagerly give up many freedoms for an illusion of safety.

32 minutes ago, AmBear said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told lawmakers during a House Oversight Committee hearing Wednesday that COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — is probably about 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

Exactly. 1% death rate. I wonder why they haven’t recommended people 70 and over just essentially self-quarantine? They shouldn’t go out in public unless they absolutely have to. And I get that they may need to get food and supplies. So I’m not saying they are total shut ins. There is such a difference between what the virus does to different age groups.

Edited by Hoosierpop

11 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

As hard as it is, if you cannot risk the quarantine (or other related delays) then I think you have your answer 😞 

At least one of our local nursing homes is in quarantine - no cases and they want to keep it that way.  I'm not sure if employees are having to sleep there or if they can come and go.

This is one of my concerns - that we are going to willingly and eagerly give up many freedoms for an illusion of safety.

While I have been critical of process and implementation of many things during this whole mess, now that we at the least in the early stages if mitigation, a lot of variables that were extreme, are now on the table, I doubt it was easy for anyone to make the move to that.

Edited by jimbo5544

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Thanks for posting this! Does the cancellation policy (refund minus deposit if cancel more than 56 days) apply to ALL sailings or just ones up until May 31?

My final payment for a June European sailing is due March 21 and I have been trying to find out when I have to cancel to only be out my deposit.  I want to go on the cruise if possible because it has taken a massive amount of planning, but do to kids and husband's job, we cannot risk a quarantine. 

I really think if things keep going the same way they will extend the dates allowed to cancel for full cruise credit (as long as you did not book after 6 March which doesn't sound like the case here). I'd wait until the last minute to see if it is extended. I'm not sure if they are allowing those who cancel before the announcement to go back for the credit. There are some here that indicated they cancelled right before the new policy. Maybe they can say if they were able to be grandfathered in.

Yes. He has very much increased his level of concern in the past 24 hours. His house testimony was the strongest I’ve heard from him by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Unfortunately you are in the same boat as me.. not literally 😃 my final payment is March 23 for a June 6 to the Bahamas . If I cancel now , I lose my deposit . If I wait to see , I’ll lose the scheduled percentage penalty . I decided to wait since I have insurance but hoping carnival will extend the cancellation policy if I need to reschedule later . 

8 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

Yes. He has very much increased his level of concern in the past 24 hours. His house testimony was the strongest I’ve heard from him by far.

Agree. But it’s interesting that it seems some people are taking his comment that the virus is 10 times more deadly than the flu as a negative. It was what, a week ago that the guy at the WHO was saying it was over 30 times deadlier. 

That’s not a small difference.

Okay, I just need a vent here.

Because at least I'm venting somewhere people will get it.

I get that this is a serious disease and I'm not minimizing that..but I honestly feel like my current odds going on a cruise support me a) not catching it at all and b) at my age and health, very likely to recover after feeling pretty crappy for awhile.  

That said..my internal struggle on whether or not to cancel is based ENTIRELY on all the craziness.  I'm now worried my work is going to come up with a 2 week quarantine when I return because unfortunately they knew what my time off was booked for before all this went down.  They haven't mentioned anything yet, but I'm in Wyoming and we so far have no cases.  I'm seeing all over that workplaces are doing that..most without pay.  I've cautioned my travel mates not to talk about it and feel like social media posts of "look at our cool trip" are probably a bad idea.  Someone in my roll call posted about a friend who is getting backlash in their community on their return that they should have to be quarantined.  This is all.  just.  nuts.  It's so unfair that the only large group activity getting actually TESTED when someone gets ill seems to be the cruise lines.  I am 100% convinced there are SO many undiagnosed cases already out there..completely unrelated to cruising.  Hell, I have a strong gut feeling someone I know had it when they returned from a recent trip (they're fine, btw).

Stay away from Youtube, where the general public can comment on corona as related to cruising.  We're all a bunch of complete idiots for considering it, and this illness is entirely the fault of cruiselines.  Someone suggested anyone returning from a cruise right now should be put in prison for their quarantine.  

Scared of getting sick?  Nope.  Scared of the hysteria of our neighbors at home?  Starting to get kinda worried.  Normally I wouldn't give a damn what anyone thought of what I do with my time..but this could have actual consequences.

Still waiting to see what happens.  /end rant.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Agree. But it’s interesting that it seems some people are taking his comment that the virus is 10 times more deadly than the flu as a negative. It was what, a week ago that the guy at the WHO was saying it was over 30 times deadlier. 

That’s not a small difference.

10x still bad, you sound like an optimist, hope you're right!

30 minutes ago, hawkeye93 said:

Agreed, off the charts more