CARNIVAL CORONA VIRUS THREAD

sapphire_407

I appreciate ALL the input on this Coronaviris question.  As for myself, and the 7 others that are to be with me, we will just take it one day at a time, and when it gets within a couple weeks of our cruising date, we will know more of how the Coronaviris is spreading, or is starting to diminish, which we hope is the case!

26 minutes ago, Border Granny said:

I don’t sail until May, but if things are still crazy by then I think I’ll ask my doctor for a note saying my cough is from allergies and my blood pressure medicine.  I think if I sailed as soon as you do a note from your doctor may come in handy if you can get it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think that is an excellent idea! Thanks for suggesting it! 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Let me assure you that visiting cruise ships and their passengers

are a necessary part of our island economy.

"Looking for any excuse to deny port stops" -does not compute, sorry.
Our taxi drivers are saddened by your non-arrival

- and lunch places likewise.

We need you, and are glad to have you land here

although our public health officials must do what they think best

in the island's interest. No offence or nuthin...

Just clarifying.

Aplmac, let me clarify as well.  I completely understand how reliant Caribbean nations are on tourism dollars.  And I know how limited your medical facilities can be -- adequate for your island population but unable to sustain a mass influx of sick tourists.  

If you are denying cruiseships, I believe it is both to protect your population's health and well-being both physically and financially.  If a small island has an outbreak then tourism to that island will cease -- bringing in no revenue at all.  That could be catastrophic and the effects could last a long, long time.  Since so much is unknown, I think it is wise for your government to exercise extreme caution. Once the virus is on the island, all indications are that it will spread rapidly and for now, there is no cure.  I believe in 30-60 days, the world outside China will have much more information and will know much more about the virus, it's incubation period and how it spreads.

I do not have to cruise next month.  If small Caribbean islands are exercising the extreme caution that I think is prudent (at least in the short term) that might leave me and others on a ship to nowhere.  That's what I would like to avoid.  I intended No offense and no criticism against any island, nation or government that has chosen to put the health and safety of their population before all else.  I would expect the US Government to do the same on my behalf.  

5 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

We sail Sunday. I am concerned but am still sailing unless something drastic happens before then. I am more concerned because I have a cough from allergies that they could deny boarding to me.

Laura

This is the type of information I would be looking for if I were you, across as many lines and as many Trip Reports as you have time to read.  IF this virus is going to be a problem on cruiseships, we should know sooner rather than later with the way it has spread in China.  This report/statement below was posted about 4 hours ago.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aplmac said:

The difference between this happening elsewhere and what happened in China is that the other governments of the world are acting swiftly and immediately to separate, quarantine, and treat anyone who is even suspected of having the virus until its confirmed they don't have it.  For whatever reason, China wasn't able to do this until after their major travel holiday, which rapidly accelerated its spread.

And right now, its becoming clear that you have to be symptomatic for you to be contagious with this one.  Otherwise, global numbers would have exploded over the last week as people who were in contact with the ones who were sick but weren't symptomatic started to come down with it as well.  The fact that you're seeing a lot of Global numbers either remain the same or only slightly tick up is good news regarding the possibility of it spreading out of control elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Aplmac, let me clarify as well.  I completely understand how reliant Caribbean nations are on tourism dollars.  And I know how limited your medical facilities can be -- adequate for your island population but unable to sustain a mass influx of sick tourists.  

If you are denying cruiseships, I believe it is both to protect your population's health and well-being both physically and financially.  If a small island has an outbreak then tourism to that island will cease -- bringing in no revenue at all.  That could be catastrophic and the effects could last a long, long time.  Since so much is unknown, I think it is wise for your government to exercise extreme caution. Once the virus is on the island, all indications are that it will spread rapidly and for now, there is no cure.  I believe in 30-60 days, the world outside China will have much more information and will know much more about the virus, it's incubation period and how it spreads.

I do not have to cruise next month.  If small Caribbean islands are exercising the extreme caution that I think is prudent (at least in the short term) that might leave me and others on a ship to nowhere.  That's what I would like to avoid.  I intended No offense and no criticism against any island, nation or government that has chosen to put the health and safety of their population before all else.  I would expect the US Government to do the same on my behalf.  

Just so we are all on the same page, there are no Caribbean issues at all, no confirmed cases and no ships not being allowed in any ports   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beardface said:

And right now, its becoming clear that you have to be symptomatic for you to be contagious with this one.

I am not sure that statement ^^^ is true.  There was a man from the UK who traveled from Singapore to France then back to the UK. I think he has infected 11 people and is known as a "supercarrier" and, as far as I know, he was not sick when he was moving about infecting people. Link from the BBC is below:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51459210

This is my understanding: people in China started getting sick in early December, but the US and others didn't limit/stop flights until late January. If the long 23-24 day incubation is accurate, we should know more in 30-60 days.  

In any case, I think as is true most of these illnesses the very young, very old and immune compromised will be hardest hit.  Young and healthy people may be able to fight a mild case of this off at home (at least that's my hope!).

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

39 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

This is the type of information I would be looking for if I were you, across as many lines and as many Trip Reports as you have time to read.  IF this virus is going to be a problem on cruiseships, we should know sooner rather than later with the way it has spread in China.  This report/statement below was posted about 4 hours ago.

what is the point of anecdotal information like this in terms of deciding what to do about a cruise? If people post they got sick on a cruise, would that really help someone? I don’t see how it would. 

i think waiting for actual diagnoses is important. Heck, I’ve seen people point to the Caribbean Princess and say, maybe that was Coronavirus. 

people need to make their own decisions.  For me, accurate information is critical. 

Edited by Hoosierpop

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

what is the point of anecdotal information like this in terms of deciding what to do about a cruise? If people post they got sick in a cruise, would that really help someone? I don’t see how it would. 

i think waiting for actual diagnoses is important. Heck, I’ve seen people point to the Caribbean Princess and say, maybe that was Coronavirus. 

people need to make their own descriptions. For me, accurate information is critical. 

No government wants to incite panic -- how do you think China got in to the mess it's in now.  If a lot of members in trip reports come back reporting that they are sick and others around them seemed sick, that'd be enough for me to take the hit and cancel my cruise.  If people come back and report all was well on cruises throughout the world for the next 30 days, then hopefully, I'll get to enjoy my Caribbean vacation.

Look up some videos of the United States evacuation planes from Wuhan to the US.  Look at the type of protective gear that the US Government agents are wearing. Then look at what China is doing (there are videos on a number of social media platforms), and look at the fact that So Many Asian Ports are Refusing Cruiseships.  That leads me to believe that these governments know more than they are telling citizens.

Just now, SunNFunCruzer said:

No government wants to incite panic -- how do you think China got in to the mess it's in now.  If a lot of members in trip reports come back reporting that they are sick and others around them seemed sick, that'd be enough for me to take the hit and cancel my cruise.  If people come back and report all was well on cruises throughout the world for the next 30 days, then hopefully, I'll get to enjoy my Caribbean vacation.

Look up some videos of the United States evacuation planes from Wuhan to the US.  Look at the type of protective gear that the US Government agents are wearing. Then look at what China is doing (there are videos on a number of social media platforms), and look at the fact that So Many Asian Ports are Refusing Cruiseships.  That leads me to believe that these governments know more than they are telling citizens.

Right, but my point is, unless there is a confirmed case that would affect a Caribbean cruise, reading about people coming home sick wouldn’t make me cancel. People get sick on cruises all the time.

I’m not saying everyone would consider things the same way. But without a confirmed diagnosis, my butt will be on that cruise in April.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Very dangerous ground to guess and make up rumors, with ZERO facts. Let’s not turn this into a government conspiracy thing and stick on topic.  What we do not need is people making up stuff and inciting others concerns.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

How do you know it was denied because of corona fears? There have been cases of ships being turned away before because of norovirus which is what the Princess had.

But if there is a statement from the ports that it was because of corona, mind linking it?

They do not

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Very dangerous ground to guess and make up rumors, with ZERO facts. Let’s not turn this into a government conspiracy thing and stick on topic.  What we do not need is people making up stuff and inciting others concerns.  

But that has been going on this entire thread. Fear mongers and conspiracy theorists.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

But that has been going on this entire thread. Fear mongers and conspiracy theorists.

I do not see that.  People are concerned and this is an important topic.  Not talking about it does not make it go away.  Getting facts about what is happening and how that relates to the industry and to cruises that these readers go on is a good thing.  More true factual information is good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not see that.  People are concerned and this is an important topic.  Not talking about it does not make it go away.  Getting facts about what is happening and how that relates to the industry and to cruises that these readers go on is a good thing.  More true factual information is good.

Reading a couple of related threads on these boards so possibly not as much predicting on this one. I have certainly been reading posts which admonish people who are not considering canceling all upcoming cruises since certainly most ports world-wide will be closed to cruise ships. And they keep repeating these dire warnings. Also heard Diamond Princess will (certainly) be quarantined until May. People make up facts and then further speculate random possibilities.

You are correct—more true factual information is good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

^^^^ this is not true.  Look earlier in this thread, the Caribbean Princess 2/2/2020 sailing has a noro outbreak and cut its cruise short and was denied stops in St. Kitts and Barbados (because of corona fears -- although you're right there are No confirmed cases).  Those are port stops on my itinerary.  That's the page that I'm on.

Not sure I see a question mark there. It’s a statement you made. And again, you can have your opinion. But it’s just that: an opinion. If you said, I wonder if Corona fears had something to do with it, fine. But you didn’t.

That’s all I’m saying. If people express opinions, just be sure to say it’s an opinion.

Ok everybody, let's take 3 steps back and breath slowly. Have a Funship Special(or the equivalent thereof), and relax a little, and back off, of the back and forth banter. This is serious stuff. There's no need to get into an argument over semantics, or implications, or 'he said, she said'. All we need are well thought out comments, without name calling, or sarcastic/condescending remarks. Those things MIGHT lead to this thread being locked, and this is much to important an issue for a Mod to lock it. And I really, really, don't want that. 

Like the Bartles & James commercial says, 'we appreciate your support.' If a link is posted, read  it. It will prolly contain pertinent information that we all could learn from. 

Ok. I'm off my soapbox. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 New Cases just reported on the Diamond Princess in Japan.  

That's a total of 174.  😞

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227379549127761920?s=20

including a quarantine officer, who I assume is well versed in Infectious Disease protocol.  This = Not Good.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

26 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Outbreak is referenced in the sentence following the one discussing unprecedented gastrointestinal illness. Coronavirus is not mentioned at all in the article. Asking that people interpret facts correctly is not semantics.

I'm not asking that people interpret facts correctly, I'm merely asking people think for themselves, weigh what they see, and decide for themselves. 

Many reports have stated they expect this virus to die down once it gets warmer (sounds like the flu, doesn’t it) Corona virus does not like sun, heat or humidity. Unfortunately, being quarantined on a ship, breathing the same air, has infected more. Had they taken them off the ship, and quarantined in different locations, I bet you wouldn’t have all the cases you do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Many reports have stated they expect this virus to die down once it gets warmer (sounds like the flu, doesn’t it) Corona virus does not like sun, heat or humidity. Unfortunately, being quarantined on a ship, breathing the same air, has infected more. Had they taken them off the ship, and quarantined in different locations, I bet you wouldn’t have all the cases you do.

Hence the decision to not cancel our cruise departing to the Sunny Caribbean this coming Saturday!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Not to belittle the 1100 or so deaths, but every person who has died is of Chinese decent.

It's not belittling when it's a fact.

On the plus side, 3 of the cases in the US are cured (2 in Chicago and 1 in Seattle).

• Like 1