Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Idratherbeatsea

Heathers flight time

When we disembarked in the UK we went to Heathrow with the Princess shuttle bus. We walked into the terminal at 11.15am. Check in usually has to be more than two hours before an international flight, but this time can vary from 90 minute to three hours depending on the airline and whether you are travelling economy or business class.

You could make it a bit earlier than 11.15 if you had a private transfer and disembarked with the first group of passengers. Another factor to consider, is with the current international situation with coronavirus, your disembarkation in the UK might be delayed if the authorities required health screening - even just checking everyone's temperature takes time.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When we disembarked in the UK we went to Heathrow with the Princess shuttle bus. We walked into the terminal at 11.15am. Check in usually has to be more than two hours before an international flight, but this time can vary from 90 minute to three hours depending on the airline and whether you are travelling economy or business class.

You could make it a bit earlier than 11.15 if you had a private transfer and disembarked with the first group of passengers. Another factor to consider, is with the current international situation with coronavirus, your disembarkation in the UK might be delayed if the authorities required health screening - even just checking everyone's temperature takes time.

May I ask what took so long?  What time did your shuttle leave? We're on a similar itinerary and we dock back in Southampton at 6:30 am.  We've booked a Princess transfer to Gatwick for a 12:30 pm flight.  It is within Princess's guidelines for time and we're expecting to be to the airport by 10:00 am at the latest. Should I be worried or even change our arrangements?

50 minutes ago, ronandannette said:

May I ask what took so long?  What time did your shuttle leave? We're on a similar itinerary and we dock back in Southampton at 6:30 am.  We've booked a Princess transfer to Gatwick for a 12:30 pm flight.  It is within Princess's guidelines for time and we're expecting to be to the airport by 10:00 am at the latest. Should I be worried or even change our arrangements?

We disembarked as usual, but the shuttle didn't leave for quite some time as we were waiting for a passenger who didn't turn up. From memory, it was at least 9.15am when we left the terminal. I believe our bus was the only one going that day to Heathrow, but it was not the turn-around day for the cruise. We were on a segment of the world cruise so not everyone was disembarking.

Looking at the times. With the ship due to dock at 6.30, the earliest anyone can disembark would be after 7am. Presumably this is the end of a cruise so there would be a few Princess shuttle buses that day. I should think you would easily get to Gatwick before 10am.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

We disembarked as usual, but the shuttle didn't leave for quite some time as we were waiting for a passenger who didn't turn up. From memory, it was at least 9.15am when we left the terminal. I believe our bus was the only one going that day to Heathrow, but it was not the turn-around day for the cruise. We were on a segment of the world cruise so not everyone was disembarking.

Looking at the times. With the ship due to dock at 6.30, the earliest anyone can disembark would be after 7am. Presumably this is the end of a cruise so there would be a few Princess shuttle buses that day. I should think you would easily get to Gatwick before 10am.

Ah, that makes sense - thanks for explaining. Indeed it is disembarkation for a 12-day itinerary that begins and ends in Southampton. 

We didn't want to deal with it and had lots of OBC so we just booked the Princess excursion that goes from Southampton to Stonehenge and then to LHR. They took care of the luggage for us so it was very easy and we visited Stonehenge. There were much less expensive options but it really didn't cost me anything due to lots of OBC.

We did that transfer *incoming* to the ship on embarkation day last year.  Stonehenge is absolutely amazing!  I highly recommend trying to work that into your schedule either before or after your cruise (assuming you're headed back to London/Heathrow).

15 hours ago, ronandannette said:

Gatwick is not Heathrow! The travel time between the two is not trivial.

Also the travel time from Southampton to Gatwick is different than the travel time between Southampton and Heathrow.

Having done this 3 times. I suggest  being at the airport 3 hours prior to flight. Due to delayed disembarking & traffic etc allow for 2 hours to get to airport

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We did that transfer *incoming* to the ship on embarkation day last year.  Stonehenge is absolutely amazing!  I highly recommend trying to work that into your schedule either before or after your cruise (assuming you're headed back to London/Heathrow).

Did you do this through Princess or an independent company?  I would love to do it on our way to the ship, but currently the personalizer only shows the post-cruise excursion/airport transfer for Stonehenge. 

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I believe we did that one through Viator. Very good experience!

Thanks, I will check it out!