LCV rewards programme.

littlenanny

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined cruise critic, and would welcome your feedback on an issue we have with the LCV rewards scheme.

before I start I want to say how much we love Azamara, and that have been up to now our preferred cruise line.previously

been on Seabourn, Holland America , to name a few.

Unfortunately We recently had to cancel two cruises with Azamara, both were paid in full, and we did not expect or even ask for refunds.

Therefore I had thought that we would be credited the LCV points, how wrong I was.

Azamara after a few emails are refusing this, on the grounds it would be unfair to the other passengers.

try as I might I can’t see the logic in this.

it’s a very small thing but leaves us feeling let down.

so have reluctantly decided that this will be our last cruise with Azamara, (there are lot of other cruise lines to choose from)

littlenanny.

The points are awarded only after one takes the cruise.  If you purchase an airline ticket and miss the flight, you do not get a refund or miles credited.  If you book a Hotel with and miss your stay and forfeit your payment you also do not get hotel points.  

If they allowed that, people could technically purchase a room just to get the points if they are near a level and not take the cruise.  The CC points are "not for sale", they are only for completing a cruise. Sorry, if you do not sail on the cruise, you do not get the points.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, littlenanny said:

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined cruise critic, and would welcome your feedback on an issue we have with the LCV rewards scheme.

before I start I want to say how much we love Azamara, and that have been up to now our preferred cruise line.previously

Unfortunately We recently had to cancel two cruises with Azamara, both were paid in full, and we did not expect or even ask for refunds.

Therefore I had thought that we would be credited the LCV points, how wrong I was.

Azamara after a few emails are refusing this, on the grounds it would be unfair to the other passengers.

so have reluctantly decided that this will be our last cruise with Azamara, (there are lot of other cruise lines to choose from)

littlenanny.

Most cruise line loyalty programs only add points for nights actually spent onboard so I can see the logic behind this. We have encountered this with another cruise line when I had to leave the ship due to a medical condition, we were both disembarked but our cabin remained empty and our possessions were still onboard. Luckily we were able to rejoin the ship a few days later but didn’t receive any loyalty credits for the time we were not onboard.

4 hours ago, littlenanny said:

Hi Everyone,

littlenanny.

I’m sorry to hear you had to cancel two paid in full voyages with us! That alone is upsetting for you. Unfortunately, as others have said, we don’t award LCV points when days are not sailed. 

But I do hope you aren’t jumping to another line because of this? The other lines will have the same policy. I hope you’ll sail again with us.

And I do hope you’ll come back to our CC forum. I always like to read new participants.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

Most cruise line loyalty programs only add points for nights actually spent onboard so I can see the logic behind this. We have encountered this with another cruise line when I had to leave the ship due to a medical condition, we were both disembarked but our cabin remained empty and our possessions were still onboard. Luckily we were able to rejoin the ship a few days later but didn’t receive any loyalty credits for the time we were not onboard.

Interesting. So if a person decided to spend a night onshore during an overnight in a port, one night would be subtracted from the number of total cruise nights? I wonder how a line like AZ with a lot of overnights keeps track of that . . .

5 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Interesting. So if a person decided to spend a night onshore during an overnight in a port, one night would be subtracted from the number of total cruise nights? I wonder how a line like AZ with a lot of overnights keeps track of that . . .

Shouldn't be a problem as every time you leave the ship your card is scanned and the same when you come back, so they know if you weren't there for a night.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I’m sorry to hear you had to cancel two paid in full voyages with us! That alone is upsetting for you. Unfortunately, as others have said, we don’t award LCV points when days are not sailed. 

But I do hope you aren’t jumping to another line because of this? The other lines will have the same policy. I hope you’ll sail again with us.

And I do hope you’ll come back to our CC forum. I always like to read new participants.

Good afternoon, 

Yes it was upsetting, one was because of a Grandchild becoming very ill , (all ok now) 

and another because I got ill.(also ok now )  These had to be cancelled just  days before sail time, so no chance of cancelling.

it just feels harsh that the only difference to Azamara is that we cost them absolutely 

nothing! It’s a win win for them

We already had this upcoming cruise booked, so we will obviously go and enjoy.

but it leaves a very sour feeling, so yes we will be jumping ship ! 

It’s such a shame as I previously said we love Azamara.

regards 

41 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

It was because we were officially disembarked due to a medical emergency and only allowed back on when given the all clear. If you choose to spend the night ashore i think that would be different as you are free to come and go as you please. We had to have new cruise cards issued before we were able to board the ship, so we were off the roll call so to speak. 
I thought there were similarities with this situation as if you’ve cancelled the booking and therefore you’ve  never officially boarded the ship.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, littlenanny said:

Good afternoon, 

Yes it was upsetting, one was because of a Grandchild becoming very ill , (all ok now) 

and another because I got ill.(also ok now )  These had to be cancelled just  days before sail time, so no chance of cancelling.

it just feels harsh that the only difference to Azamara is that we cost them absolutely 

nothing! It’s a win win for them

regards 

It is a shame, because as said ALL cruise lines have the same exact policy.  If you really loved Azamara, that is not a good reason to change.....  I hope you enjoy your cruise

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, littlenanny said:

It IS a shame. If in the future you decide to come back and give us another chance, we will welcome you aboard with open arms! 

• Like 1

This is standard policy, certainly across the Royal Caribbean brand. A scenario. If you purchased travel insurance that refunded your cruise fare then Azamara would in effect be giving you points for free so it is totally understandable they are credited for completed cruises only. 

Phil 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Not true. I have cancelled a cruise with another cruise line a few days before sailing and still got the full loyalty points. The cost of the cruise was refunded through my travel insurance.

3 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Not true. I have cancelled a cruise with another cruise line a few days before sailing and still got the full loyalty points. The cost of the cruise was refunded through my travel insurance.

Then you are very lucky.  I checked with all of the major cruise lines and none of them would award points unless the actual cruise was taken.  See reply #12 above for their reasoning.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Belfastman said:

You were very very lucky...  My wife was admitted to the ER on boarding day.  I had to remain on the cruise with a group that I was leading (including my daughter and granddaughter).

I now have one more Carnival cruise that she.  And I had to pay again on Southwest Airlines for another ticket (full price) even thought I had already paid for a roundtrip ticket.

Instead of buying travel insurance, I "self Insured".  And 'that's the way it crumbles...cookie wise'!

7 hours ago, Belfastman said:

What cruise line?

15 hours ago, Belfastman said:

But do you think that is fair and makes sense?  It certainly doesn't to me. 

Phil 

• Like 1

I think for me, the thing is it’s a LOYALTY incentive , which I think we clearly demonstrated, in that we only cancelled in one case a day, and in the other  a week, when we obviously had no chance (or intention) of getting a refund from Azamara. Both cruises were booked well in advance and paid for in full well in advance.

I really don’t think that any points we would have received would make the slightest difference to anyone, least of all Azamara. 
regards 

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

But do you think that is fair and makes sense?  It certainly doesn't to me. 

Phil 

Yes I think it is fair. I did not cancel the cruise freely I was forced into the decision. The cruise line still got full payment so didn't matter to them that I was not there

10 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Yes I think it is fair. I did not cancel the cruise freely I was forced into the decision. The cruise line still got full payment so didn't matter to them that I was not there

Absolutely agree.  In fact all cruise lines are able to attempt to book the cancelled cabin again thus double dipping in getting paid twice and if they can't book, they save by not having to provide the food, drink, etc. thus increasing profits.

And before someone brings up cancelling flights, in most cases non-refundable for air does allow the passenger to cancel for any reason and pay a nominal sum to have the balance of the amount paid able to be used to book another flight in the next year so while not refundable at least some or most of the money can be used for another flight.

Realize this is the process for all or almost all cruise lines but, would seem much fairer to both parties if should they book your cancelled cruise with another allow the person cancelling to recoup a FCC after a small penalty charge to be used on a future cruise.  Would help both the person canceling and the cruise line by getting another booking and thus profit while allowing the passenger to use most of their paid money on a future cruise.

Win, win!!

18 hours ago, EddiesToys said:

You were very very lucky...  My wife was admitted to the ER on boarding day.  I had to remain on the cruise with a group that I was leading (including my daughter and granddaughter).

I now have one more Carnival cruise that she.  And I had to pay again on Southwest Airlines for another ticket (full price) even thought I had already paid for a roundtrip ticket.

Instead of buying travel insurance, I "self Insured".  And 'that's the way it crumbles...cookie wise'!

But - is loyalty not awarded as a couple? From Azamara, we have only ever received one set of points for a cruise.

29 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

But - is loyalty not awarded as a couple? From Azamara, we have only ever received one set of points for a cruise.

I think they are awarded per person, but I would think you both have to be enrolled as LCV members to both get the points. The T’s & C’s say that ‘single travellers will earn double the amount of Club Points’, so to me that suggests that both people in a stateroom earn points.

• Like 3

Sorry - lost my post! Apologies if it appears half written and badly punctuated / with unfinished punctuation!

We have only ever been given one set of points per balcony or suite stateroom. I have previously queried why a single person would get double the points, when we (a couple and both registered with LCV numbers) only get one set...............with no satisfactory answer from Azamara. It has taken us ever so many cruises to attain our current loyalty level...... and I have always wondered about this.:classic_unsure: