Best Walking Shoes for Caribbean Cruise

jandlcruise

We will be sailing in April to St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan and Grand Turk. We have walking excursions in all except Grand Turk which will be a beach day. I have been on other cruises and always struggled with what shoes to wear for excursions that are comfortable and good for walking but look good too. Anyone have any ideas?

1 hour ago, jandlcruise said:

We will be sailing in April to St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan and Grand Turk. We have walking excursions in all except Grand Turk which will be a beach day. I have been on other cruises and always struggled with what shoes to wear for excursions that are comfortable and good for walking but look good too. Anyone have any ideas?

Good morning, not sure if you tried the search feature but this question has been asked many, many times over the years.

There are lots of walking shoes out there---I have worn a pair called "Abeo" before--they are from the "Walking Company" which has great choices for those of us with a high arch/and or have other feet issues.

Clarks is a good shoe as well and I have a pair of "Earth" that I like a lot as well.

I am not sure which tours you are taking but you might want to look at a walking sandal too.....the Caribbean is quite warm and supportive sandals can work well and your feet can still breathe:classic_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, jandlcruise said:

Thanks for the info Lois R!  I didn't do a search since I was hoping for updated info but I will do that, thanks for the advice.

Glad to help.....I just found a thread for you from last year....it is about shoes on Cobblestone but it may help you with

some walking shoe answers:classic_smile:.....the thread is now at the top......check it out.

For me itcomes down to socks or no socks. I’d probably wear my Keen sandals because the toe box is constructed to keep small pebbles (mostly) out and I wear them a lot in my rural (no sidewalks) town. I _could_wear socks with them if it were necessary, but for multiple outings, a dedicated, air travel worthy pair would not be a bad choice either. I definitely would wear them on the plane. Closed toed shoes are a must in interior hikes because of the bug factor, but that’s me. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I have a pair of sandals which are like birkenstocks but they have memory foam. They are called Viking. I can wear them all day long in almost any situation! This year I bought the rubber birkinstocks to take me from road to beach to pool and am debating whether or not to even bring sneakers...there's no chance of me exercising outside of walking and swimming while on vacation!

Image result for viking sandals

Slide View: 1: Birkenstock Gizeh Sandals

I wear sandals that have a back to them - something to keep my feet in the shoes. My doctor said that trying to keep flip flops on your feet (subconsciously) is very bad for your feet. Years ago, I realized that is why my feet were hurting... using your toes to keep the flip flops on is common, whether we realize we are doing it or not. 

Anyway, whatever you choose, break them in before your cruise. Nothing worse than blisters and sore feet on vacation.

If I'm doing lots of walking and potentially hot & wet (like se asia last summer and the Caribbean this past December), I have chacos with open sides. I can wear them with socks when I will walk more and don't mind looking a little dorky (ankle socks but the sides are open, so....) For less walking and wet times, I go without socks. I used to have some fantastic tevas with a closed toe but they don't make that model anymore 😞 and Keen sandals don't fit me. For shorter walks (around a carib port) I can wear just my birks.