Greek Yogurt Fat Free

Paula B

I wish! Maybe they have started to stock it, I'd love it myself if they did, but even finding no-added-sugar yoghurt is damn tricky on any cruiseline I've been on, Princess included. Individual pots (in the buffet has been the only place I've ever found those) and those were regular runny yoghurt, rather than Greek/Balkan style - every time I ever asked about 'dollops' of yoghurt included with a dish it always turned out to be full-fat, full-sugar (I'm diabetic, so the full-fat I can cope with but most yoghurt has way too much sugar for me so I always, always check - and fat-free Greek style yoghurt is a really useful source of protein that I make regular use of at home).

BTW, Skyr has become quite trendy lately with even mainstream manufacturers in North America starting to produce this Icelandic form - if you see that you should try it, as if you prefer Greek to regular it's further down the same spectrum (they drain it for even longer, making an even thicker and slightly-stronger-flavoured end product).

I will differently look for that it sounds good. Since you are a diabetic you might like to take a small box of Jello sugar free banana cream and mix it with Greek yogurt and cut a banana and strawberries in it and sometimes I add a couple tablespoon of sugar free cool whip.

Appreciate the suggestions Paula, but I can't abide anything banana-flavour (or cherry - there's no good artificial version of either to my palate). Since Princess went from steel cut oatmeal (which is diabetic-friendly as well as much nicer to eat for anyone) to runny, wallpaper-paste gloop (at least 5 years ago) I alternate between a good old fry up, plates of fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs with sliced meat/smoked fish, and kippers on toast for breakfast  -any yoghurt you get as part of an MDR breakfast will be a scoop of sweetened stuff (which might work for you if it's just total calories you're counting, but you'd need to cut back on your added fruits to keep it to the same ballpark calories as your at-home brekky).

Thank you for all the information I really appreciate it. I've been on weight watchers for a couple of years and I have done well on most of our cruises except last year I put on four pounds and it's so hard to take off. I was hoping to make some smarter choices for I could splurge on some of my favorite foods LOL. I'm sure it must be hard being a diabetic. I would of thought with so many having diabetics that they would work harder on giving you more choices with good qualities.

• 1 year later...