Acceptable Wall Charger...

Sun Queen II

Hi all, have been looking at what we are allowed to bring in terms of a wall charger that won’t be confiscated when we board the ship.  We have the usual technology: iPhones, fit its, and iPads, and wanted to purchase something that would allow us to charge these things at night while we are in the cabin (we’re on Riviera).  Does anyone have a link to an approved wall charger that we could purchase via amazon (don’t want to buy the wrong one and then have it taken away from us!).  This is the idea of what we are looking for.  Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg.7eabda1a8924154ed025d1c0e4d702d1.jpeg 

I use these simple AC to USB adaptors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734SN6VR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty of AC outlets in the room to use these for multiple phones, tablets, etc.  I believe the "next" updated ships- the "R" ships so far, not the "O" ships, have USB outlets as well as AC outlets.

• Like 1

As long as you don't bring a surge suppressor strip, you will be OK.  As mentioned while you are not in the cabin, no charging is permitted, as there is a "presumed" risk of overheating/fire of Lithium Ion batteries in your phone/PC/Camera/iPad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

Thanks, and they don’t take it away from you when you board Oceania?  I’ve heard stories of people getting things confiscated.

Not absolutely sure, but I think the confiscation criteria is if the item has "surge protection" built in.  Apparently they consider it a potential fire hazard. 

3 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

Thanks, and they don’t take it away from you when you board Oceania?  I’ve heard stories of people getting things confiscated.  

Never,  like PaulMCO said above, it is the power strips that are a problem because they are fire hazard on ships.  

4 hours ago, JPR said:

No idea what you’re talking about. The steward will unplug the chargers when you’re out of the suite, but this has never been an issue on our many cruises.

In this case they are stalking about an " approved wall charger " thought  pictured device also includes 120v outlet. It is the 120v outlet that is more of a problem.

As PaulMCO wrote " As long as you don't bring a surge suppressor strip, you will be OK. " That said, the OPs concern could be becasue some cruise lines will not allow any power bars  with or without surge suppression. Some will even confiscate an extension cord.

Last I heard a power bar w/o surge suppression allowed on O. USB hubs I have never heard there is a problem. A combination device w/o surge suppression s/b okay.

If you leave it plugged in when the cabin is unattended your room, even if nothing is plugged into it the room attendant could unplug it. As they have helpfully done for forgetful me on more than one occasion.

Edited by YoHoHo

Any standard AC adapter used in the US or Canada that comes with the phone should be fine.  If you think you need more outlets, just take a simple 3-way adapter plug.  Any standard modern USB charger should work.  Don't try to be fancy and take an adapter that has any surge protection.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:35 AM, Queen of DaNile said:

That's what I bought and had hoped to use on Marina but due to the configuration of the outlet it wouldn't fit.

DSCN0923.JPG

I'm having trouble seeing why this wouldn't work.  Can you help me understand?

2 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

I'm having trouble seeing why this wouldn't work.  Can you help me understand?

Perhaps because the ground is on top in the Oceania setup, and there might not be enough clearance with the desk when you turn the unit upside down. 

Once again, the Anker unit has Surge Protection and these are not allowed, but I'm sure you could get by with it. According to those that know due to the electrical configuration of marine vessels surge protection is bad. 

Edited by ORV

In the picture in post #3 that thing between the plugs that looks like some kind of spacer? Iirc that is a light switch. Even if the ground of the plug were in the "normal" lower position, the device in post #1 would cover this switch. 

I have taken the Anker on our last couple of cruises and it's never been confiscated.  If more plugs are needed take a two prong EU adapter and use it with dual voltage chargers/appliances.  I took this one all over Europe last year and it worked great.  

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=castries+universal+travel+adapter+all-in-one&crid=3NUUW9QSP7U2U&sprefix=castris%2Caps%2C187&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_7

12 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I have taken the Anker on our last couple of cruises and it's never been confiscated.  If more plugs are needed take a two prong EU adapter and use it with dual voltage chargers/appliances.  I took this one all over Europe last year and it worked great.  

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=castries+universal+travel+adapter+all-in-one&crid=3NUUW9QSP7U2U&sprefix=castris%2Caps%2C187&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_7

And some people smoke on their balconies. Not following the cruise line rules all seems about the same to me. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ORV said:

And some people smoke on their balconies. Not following the cruise line rules all seems about the same to me. 

I don't smoke.  I don't share my drink package.  I don't hog deck chairs.  I'm ahead I guess.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1