Overhanging lifeboat removal?

new_cruiser

I'm on a ship that will be entering the Panama Canal for the first time tomorrow, Windstar Wind Surf. It hasn't been in the canal before because it's masts are too high to fit under the Bridge of the Americas so it can't exit into the Pacific. As part of a journey around the Caribbean, it will do a partial transit.

Part of the preparation is installing a Panama chock at the stern. It and accompanying hardware are being welded on today while we are at anchor off Colon. I understand that - a strong attachment point is needed for the lines from the mules & the ship didn't have one judged robust enough by the canal authority.

The overhanging lifeboats were removed & left in port last night; additional life rafts were loaded to take there place until we return to port at the end of the transit.

I only sort of understand that. The original canal locks allow for a ship width up 106 feet. The Wind Surf beam is 66 feet. The tenders overhang about 10 feet to each side making the width with overhang about 88 feet.

Wind Star, one of the Surf's smaller sister ships goes through the canal with overhanging lifeboats in place. It is about 8 feet less in beam.

I can understand that lifeboats's fiberglass sides are more easily damaged than the ship hull should they accidentally rub so in case of a tight fit, overhanging lifeboats inside the envelope of the lock become an issue. But 10 feet per side seems like a decent margin of error. What am I missing?

Holland America has a cruise ship (Koningsdam) which is banned from the Panama Canal due to the overhang of lifeboats, so that concern is not new. I am sure the Canal doesn't wish to be responsible for the damage to lifesaving equipment. I am sure they can't absolute guarantee the vessel can remain dead centered in a lock so as to not threaten the overhanging lifeboat.

According to Wikipedia (and they can't be wrong?😉) the Wind Star is 51' compared to the Surf's 66'.  Also the Star is around 200' shorter than the Surf which may add to better maneuverability at the locks along with more wiggle room.  While I have never seen either of those vessels in the here and now, only in pictures I am at a disadvantage in being able tell if there is anything in the actual positioning of the life boats that would be an issue.  The vessel assumes all liability for any protrusion and that includes any damage to the lock structure and equipment.  In the case of the Surf it is a very simple task to launch the lifeboats at Cristobal/Colon prior to the partial transit and bring them back on board after the transit.  This completely eliminates any risk of damaging the lifeboats which could impact the remainder of the cruise.  On the other hand it would be a logistical nightmare for the Star to shed her lifeboats prior to transit, transporting them in some manner across the Isthmus and then place them back aboard afterwards.

There is some conflicting info out there on Wind Star beam & a site I saw had it at ~58 feet, but the 51 feet on Wikipedia is probably correct - stateroom dimensions are very similar on Wind Surf and Wind Star, but Wind Star has a central hall between the two sides while Wind Surf has a hallway for the odd cabins & one for the even cabins with device areas and stair ways between the two hallways so around 15 feet width difference makes sense.

I've been on bother ships and the life boat mounting is similar. So width or width plus practical considerations, e.g. partial vs. full transit logistics are probably the difference.

The Windstar "Star" ships also do full transits. They are about the same width as Wind Surf. Their lifeboats are more inset into coves so they protrude less or perhaps not at all from the widest part of the hull. I haven't paid attention on board and can't find a picture that makes it clear.

Thanks for posting the pictures Essiesmom. We are in the lake now, but have clearance to leave after the next ship so we won't be here long.

It's been really great doing the locks on this ship because three decks have promenades so there is lots of viewing space.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NoleFan2U said:

EM:

Where can we find those pictures? (IF you are allowed to post that here?)

My partial canal transit cruise was cancelled so we rebooked a full transit for 2021. I think it was a fair trade!

A quick Google search for "Panama Canal Webcams gives you:  http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html , and http://visitcanaldepanama.com/en/webcams/