Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Rick&Jeannie

No longer need OceanReady & OceanView apps?

Recommended Posts

On a previous cruise (last year) I had to download some auxiliary apps along with the main MedallionClass app before everything functioned as it should.  It sounds as if some things have changed.  What's the scoop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right ow I only needed Ocean Compass (chat & locate other peeps) and MedallionClass for everything else.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that quick reply!  As I did for that first cruise, I looked EVERYWHERE for details as to exactly what was needed.  Where are these requirements listed?  The App store makes no reference to anything extra needed, nor does anything that I could find on the Princess website.  Surely there is a "final word" explaining everything needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Medallion Class App now includes OceanCompass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, that said:

I think the Medallion Class App now includes OceanCompass

Yes they are included in the Medallion Class app now.

I deleted all the rest last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious...it sounds as if maybe you have firsthand experience.  What phone are you having issues with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 1:29 PM, that said:

I think the Medallion Class App now includes OceanCompass

I just checked my MedallionClass app and it does include the OceanCompass information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 4:39 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes they are included in the Medallion Class app now.

I deleted all the rest last year.

 

That's what I thought as well, yet in Princess" marketing emails last week for the Ruby Princess which has just gone fully Medallion, the email still had all the icons for Compass, Ready, casino etc etc. They have made this far more confusing to people than it needed to be but of course we are dealing with IT Departments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep the individual apps!

I agree it is terribly confusing. Was on the Royal two weeks ago and had deleted the individual apps in favor of the Medallion app.  Precruise it looks like all parts are in the new app. Guess what? In order to use the location feature of the Medallion app it needs the Ocean compass app.  And any other individual apps you may want.  The Medallion app has some parts on its own, but it is by no means a fully comprehensive app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leck57 said:

 

That's what I thought as well, yet in Princess" marketing emails last week for the Ruby Princess which has just gone fully Medallion, the email still had all the icons for Compass, Ready, casino etc etc. They have made this far more confusing to people than it needed to be but of course we are dealing with IT Departments.

Not confusing at all.

In the Medallion App once downloaded you swipe to reach all those individual deleted apps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

Keep the individual apps!

I agree it is terribly confusing. Was on the Royal two weeks ago and had deleted the individual apps in favor of the Medallion app.  Precruise it looks like all parts are in the new app. Guess what? In order to use the location feature of the Medallion app it needs the Ocean compass app.  And any other individual apps you may want.  The Medallion app has some parts on its own, but it is by no means a fully comprehensive app.

The Ocean Compass app is already within the Medallion app.  🤔

Have you used this app yet onboard?

What parts are missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s what I thought!  In order to use the Ocean Compass function of the Medallion app the first thing it made me do was to re-download the individual Ocean Compass app. That page of the Medallion app is only a shortcut portal to the app itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not confusing at all.

In the Medallion App once downloaded you swipe to reach all those individual deleted apps.

 

You missed my point in your haste to reply, but I won't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, leck57 said:

 

You missed my point in your haste to reply, but I won't bother.

But you still bothered. No need for the nastiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

But you still bothered. No need for the nastiness.

 

No nastiness intended whatsoever Colo and sorry if you took it that way. 

To expand my point - Princess initially required us to download all these Apps and now I thought it was just the one. I received an email from Princess about Ruby (who we disembarked a few weeks back) going fully Medallion and there were references about the other Apps in the email. It didn't imply these are now hidden behind the Medallion Class App, unless you read the Medallion threads very frequently it may have been easy to miss. I maintain that they have confused people throughout the course of this introduction. I also have been on a Medallion class cruise and these Apps at the time were not behind the main App (I don't think).

Perhaps it was just me, but I read plenty of posts suggesting otherwise. 

Edited by leck57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, leck57 said:

 

No nastiness intended whatsoever Colo and sorry if you took it that way. 

To expand my point - Princess initially required us to download all these Apps and now I thought it was just the one. I received an email from Princess about Ruby (who we disembarked a few weeks back) going fully Medallion and there were references about the other Apps in the email. It didn't imply these are now hidden behind the Medallion Class App, unless you read the Medallion threads very frequently it may have been easy to miss. I maintain that they have confused people throughout the course of this introduction. I also have been on a Medallion class cruise and these Apps at the time were not behind the main App (I don't think).

Perhaps it was just me, but I read plenty of posts suggesting otherwise. 

Got it thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly what additional apps should be downloaded in addition to Medallion Class?   Just Ocean Compass?
Thank you in advance to anyone that can share!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the old individual apps other than OCEAN Compass are no longer in the Google PLAY Store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Jan 11 Eastern trip on the Sky Princess the Ocean Compass app was needed in order to locate "friends". And then it was inaccurate about 30% of the time.  All the other apps are in the confusing Medallion app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Was on the Royal two weeks ago and had deleted the individual apps in favor of the Medallion app.

 

In order to use the Ocean Compass function of the Medallion app the first thing it made me do was to re-download the individual Ocean Compass app. That page of the Medallion app is only a shortcut portal to the app itself. 


The latest MedallionClass app (1.5) released a week ago for iOS which I installed today has added the OceanCompass so it’s apparently changed since your cruise two weeks ago.

 

 

C795265C-5A08-4A10-BDC1-58556FA641EE.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 1:25 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thanks for that quick reply!  As I did for that first cruise, I looked EVERYWHERE for details as to exactly what was needed.  Where are these requirements listed?  The App store makes no reference to anything extra needed, nor does anything that I could find on the Princess website.  Surely there is a "final word" explaining everything needed?

Hello @Rick&Jeannie. The MedallionClass app does now feature OceanReady, OceanNow, JourneyView, OceanCompass and OceanView.  PlayOcean and Ocean Casino can still be accessed from MedallionClass, but open as new apps.  You can confidently remove any versions of OceanReady, OceanCompass, OceanNow and OceanView apps you may have previously downloaded to your device. We appreciate your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The confusion continues !

 

I am, or was, a 'techie' sort of person and would normally jump on things like this. I am now convinced that we do not really need any of the Medallion benefits, other than opening cabin door and ordering a drink. And there seem to be lots of problems with Medallion Apps. So do not plan to download any apps and plan on leaving phone in the safe - can you see any problems with that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...