Celebrity Edge internet speeds

Tbucs19

I can’t compare it but it is SLOW!!   They tout that you can stream movies-NO WAY!  At least you couldn’t this past week.  We were on the Solstice for two weeks last March (AU/NZ) and the internet was much, much better.  Finding the internet so slow on the Edge has been very disappointing.

13 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I can’t compare it but it is SLOW!!   They tout that you can stream movies-NO WAY!  At least you couldn’t this past week.  We were on the Solstice for two weeks last March (AU/NZ) and the internet was much, much better.  Finding the internet so slow on the Edge has been very disappointing.

I can confirm you can indeed stream movies.   I brought my Roku with me and watched many things on both Netflix as well as YouTube TV.  This was both in the Med and on the TA.   My experience was different than yours and found it to be one of the strongest most stable internet in the fleet. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can confirm you can indeed stream movies.   I brought my Roku with me and watched many things on both Netflix as well as YouTube TV.  This was both in the Med and on the TA.   My experience was different than yours and found it to be one of the strongest most stable internet in the fleet. 

Something was definitely off this past week and we do hope it was a fluke.  We weren’t the only ones to express frustration.    Tried to stream a couple of shows but gave up.  It took forever to simply pull up a website (news, cruisecritic).  It was frustrating for my husband to get his work done.   A year ago on the Solstice (AU/NZ) we had much better internet.  

35 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

LOL slow.

Worked for email and texts.

May seem a bit slow but I was able to stream YouTubeTV to watch my home news and Netflix.   I believe it is right at the suggested minimum for Netflix so if the internet speeds were lacking like an earlier posted it would probably not work.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

May seem a bit slow but I was able to stream YouTubeTV to watch my home news and Netflix.   I believe it is right at the suggested minimum for Netflix so if the internet speeds were lacking like an earlier posted it would probably not work.

Speeds are dependent on how many on board are using along with the position of the ship. In the South Atlantic speeds were great in morning and slowed as the day went on.

Would ask why one would be streaming movies while on a cruise - except a TA - with so many things to do. LOL

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

Speeds are dependent on how many on board are using along with the position of the ship. In the South Atlantic speeds were great in morning and slowed as the day went on.

Would ask why one would be streaming movies while on a cruise - except a TA - with so many things to do. LOL

Hmmm...   let me see.  

1.  We cruise very often and usually aboard for 30-45 days on each cruise. 

2.  The shows are garbage and rarely change

3.  We usually travel in suites and sometimes I like to watch a movie while my spouse sleeps

4.  The TV on the ship and movies are limited and rotate over and over again so on a B2B you get the same stuff over and over.

We all enjoy our vacation differently.  

No offense taken, but as a non-drinker others might find it offensive if I were to say why would someone sit around a bar and drink all evening.    I accept the fact that what I may enjoy may not be what others enjoy but I wouldn't cruise as much as I do if I couldn't do what I enjoy.  

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hmmm...   let me see.  

1.  We cruise very often and usually aboard for 30-45 days on each cruise. 

2.  The shows are garbage and rarely change

3.  We usually travel in suites and sometimes I like to watch a movie while my spouse sleeps

4.  The TV on the ship and movies are limited and rotate over and over again so on a B2B you get the same stuff over and over.

We all enjoy our vacation differently.  

No offense taken, but as a non-drinker others might find it offensive if I were to say why would someone sit around a bar and drink all evening.    I accept the fact that what I may enjoy may not be what others enjoy but I wouldn't cruise as much as I do if I couldn't do what I enjoy.  

You are unusual. Have done a few B2B and had anywhere from 5 up to 30 doing that. Obviously everyone is different.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:42 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I will confirm that we too were able to watch Netflix, Hulu, and YouTubeTV (all dependent on if the country allows it) using the ships Wi-Fi internet package.  Netflix was the best with less HD to SD lag.

And we too enjoyed watching a show before going to bed and sometimes just sitting on the back of the ship sipping on a few cold ones enjoying a movie when we didn't like the poolside events.

Edited by drinkoj

7 hours ago, az_tchr said:

You are unusual. Have done a few B2B and had anywhere from 5 up to 30 doing that. Obviously everyone is different.

Not sure how I'm unusual but I don't recall the free movies changing on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.   Maybe that has changed as I don't even look any longer.   I don't pay for the pay per view as I can find plenty of movies on Netflix. 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:20 PM, Tbucs19 said:

How fast or slow is the internet on Edge compared to Royal’s Symphony of Seas Voom?

Last January we did back to back cruises on Royal C Harmony of the Seas and then Edge.  We had unlimited WiFi on both ships (Voom Surf+Stream vs. Xcelerate).  Both were very good and allowed streaming but overall the WiFi on Edge was faster and more reliable (in our cabin).  In public areas on the ship about equal.  I have read here that Edge cabins have individual routers but not sure - perhaps someone can confirm?

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I have read here that Edge cabins have individual routers but not sure - perhaps someone can confirm?

I can confirm that Deck 10 AquaClass  rooms (check two) have individual routers.  They are located in the rounded corner closet with all the shelves, where the decorative coral with a light is, as you pass the bathroom.