Cunard's Coronavirus Cancellations/Refunds (Merged threads)

LittleFish1976

21 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I think more to the point will be a broader aversion to cruising in the future - it was bad enough when norovirus affected ships - this is a million times worse!!!!

Not once they have a vaccine it won't be and everyone who wants to go on a ship will get vaccinated. There will never be another major corona outbreak on a cruise ship once we have a vaccine.

There will be a vaccine, and billions of people will acquire immunity the old-fashioned way (in fact, that is already happening), so the risks of dying from this particular virus will decline.  I expect treatments for covid-19 will evolve quickly as well.  The cruise industry will adapt with better surveillance and sanitization methods.  We just have to wait it out.

• Like 2

Such a shame. I’m going to wait it out and see what happens for our may 31st cruise. I'm going to hold out till Cunard cancel and hopefully I'll get a refund through my uk based TA. 

The cash would be nice as this weekend I've had to close my business 😞

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beaveh said:

Such a shame. I’m going to wait it out and see what happens for our may 31st cruise. I'm going to hold out till Cunard cancel and hopefully I'll get a refund through my uk based TA. 

The cash would be nice as this weekend I've had to close my business 😞

I am so, so sorry.  That's my bigger worry - businesses closing and people out of work.  We need to get the pandemic under control as soon as possible.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, oskidunker said:

So it looks like I have  an option if I make the final pay on my sept 11 cruise on May 14 ( The final Pay  date ) You can transfer your voyage to a different voyage free of charge. This option is available until July 31, 2020

Am I reading this right?

Important note about transferring bookings which is relevant to your question since you asked about a sailing in September. A couple days ago, I quoted the UK policy for transferring bookings for voyages departing prior to August 31. For a situation such as yours, I should have quoted this section of the UK flexible transfer policy pertinent to voyages departing after August 31. Note the important restriction that the transfer requests must be received prior to the balance due date. Again, I don't know how much of this policy applies to the US (and the cutoff date is July 31 in the US). Just thought I better clarify that point in the UK policy since I wouldn't want you to assume you could transfer your US booking free of charge after final payment.

Transferring your booking.

If you are sailing after 31 August 2020 then you can take advantage of our new flexible transfer policy (in place until 31 August 2020), but we will require notice prior to the balance due date.

This means that guests, who have a booking on a Cunard Fare or Early Saver fare, sailing after 31 August 2020, can now:

• Transfer their booking to any Cunard voyage currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer their booking to a voyage of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer their booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer their bookings free of charge, as we will waive the current £100 administration charge for each transfer made.

Not doing that. Will cancel May 1 if no movement on final pay date. But thanks. Dont want fcc as I do not want to do crossings and the only Cunard Cruise  I might be interested in is Northern Lights Oct 2021. No reason to pay the Ransom to book that now. 

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Important note about transferring bookings which is relevant to your question since you asked about a sailing in September. A couple days ago, I quoted the UK policy for transferring bookings for voyages departing prior to August 31. For a situation such as yours, I should have quoted this section of the UK flexible transfer policy pertinent to voyages departing after August 31. Note the important restriction that the transfer requests must be received prior to the balance due date. Again, I don't know how much of this policy applies to the US (and the cutoff date is July 31 in the US). Just thought I better clarify that point in the UK policy since I wouldn't want you to assume you could transfer your US booking free of charge after final payment.

Transferring your booking.

If you are sailing after 31 August 2020 then you can take advantage of our new flexible transfer policy (in place until 31 August 2020), but we will require notice prior to the balance due date.

This means that guests, who have a booking on a Cunard Fare or Early Saver fare, sailing after 31 August 2020, can now:

• Transfer their booking to any Cunard voyage currently on sale (and not just to those within the next 12 months).
  • Transfer their booking to a voyage of higher or lower value (and not just of a higher value, as is usually the case).
  • Transfer their booking an unlimited number of times (and not just once).
  • Transfer their bookings free of charge, as we will waive the current £100 administration charge for each transfer made.

Also note that pretty much all travel insurance policies have been amended so that bookings made after a certain date (typically this or last week) - which would include a re-booking - now exclude any liability for Coronavirus, either medical treatment if you contract it, or disruptions or cancellations if your cruise were to be affected by it.  

My final payment for my 22 July crossing is due tomorrow. I have canceled today. I cannot justify having $20,000+ tied up by Cunard. I have a booking for 22 July 2021, so maybe I will be able to use that one. There are many miles to go before this corona virus 'adventure' is over. Best wishes to all my fellow Cunarders around the world. Stay Safe! 

Mike

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

Is there a CC board or other source that's reporting what other cruise lines are doing as to cancellations of sailings scheduled to depart after the CLIA 30-day suspension expires?

The problem is it varies by country and some of the lines seem to be making it up as they go along and disregarding Terms and Conditions.  I cancelled my QM2 crossing almost 2 weeks ago through the TA, the booking disappeared but have never heard a word from Cunard.  Given it was a Princess grill suite, it was not small change.

27 minutes ago, Dahani said:

I have just looked on Cunard uk website and this cruise is STILL for sale. I find that staggering. I am absolutely disgusted by Cunard. They know full well that they will not get any UK passengers.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/find-a-cruise/Q013B/Q013B

Its dirt cheap. They are hoping some fool will book so they can keep the money and offer fcc. 

• Like 1

From the Cunard Facebook page in the UK

10916379_10153043798423223_8581143508041

In light of recent Government guidance and global restrictions to halt the spread of Covid-19 we are working through our plans for the resumption of sailings and will communicate our initial plans as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

're ABTA and the British travel industry is lobbying the government to change rules so the don't have to offer a refund if they cancel they can give a future holiday credit instead.

I urge everyone to contact their MP and object to this change

As of now Australians are banned from overseas travel no end date given.

I wonder how Cunard will respond to this, if in fact they do, with regards to the Aussies that have cruises booked in the near future.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

're ABTA and the British travel industry is lobbying the government to change rules so the don't have to offer a refund if they cancel they can give a future holiday credit instead.

Why exactly?

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I have just sent my MP an email objecting especially in light of the cruise company selling something that they know that cannot deliver just to keep people’s money and only offering credits which could be worthless.   With people out of work for god knows how long, some cruisers will probably need the refund just to make ends meet. If we have another financial crisis  we may not be-able to afford a cruise in the next few years. In light of the currency exchange at moment, I am not sure I could  afford a Cunard cruise in the future as they will be at least 10%  more expensive as the £ to $ exchange rate is so bad at the moment and Cunard prices are in dollars.  

• Like 1