Tour recommendations NOT going to Turtle Center, Stingray city and dolphin swimming

CruiseMH

Hi to all,

i will be in port on November 19th on board the Norwegian Breakaway (as a solo cruiser )and have already checked what there is to see. Turtle center, stingray city and/or dolphin swimming are in almost any top 10 list on the internet for Grand Cayman. But i personally don`t have any interest to see these animals in small basins or together with thousands of other tourists in crowded venues.

So, my question is if anybody has recommendations for tours/tour operators that do NOT got to turtle center, stingray city and dolphin swimming. It is very difficult to find tours on the internet which don`t go there. So i would be glad if someone has already done something else on Grand Cayman and can give me some tips. I would prefer a guided tour / tour opeartor rather than doing all on my own.

thanks a lot in advance.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, Stingray City involves wild stingrays out in the ocean, and is usually combined on tours with snorkeling stops at reefs to see additional wild marine life.  And the better tour operators only have a couple dozen people on the boat, max, so you’re not with thousands of people staring at animals in a basin.  Fatfish takes you by jetski, one of the best tours for “no crowding” imo.

But, if those options are out, you’re left with:

- beach day

- generic island tour by land

- Pedro St James historic site

- Queen Elizabeth botanical gardens

- Crystal Caves

- museum (downtown, no tour needed)

- beach day farther afield someplace like Rum Point

Try https://www.caymansafari.com

I agree with Bookbabe on Stingray City - it may be an excursion you will enjoy.  I am not a fan of confined animals, and this is exactly the opposite.  The snorkel stops are great too.

The rets of the things that I would recommend are not formal excursions and you indicated that you weren't interested in that.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:08 AM, bookbabe said:

FWIW, Stingray City involves wild stingrays out in the ocean, and is usually combined on tours with snorkeling stops at reefs to see additional wild marine life.  And the better tour operators only have a couple dozen people on the boat, max, so you’re not with thousands of people staring at animals in a basin.  Fatfish takes you by jetski, one of the best tours for “no crowding” imo.

But, if those options are out, you’re left with:

- beach day

- generic island tour by land

- Pedro St James historic site

- Queen Elizabeth botanical gardens

- Crystal Caves

- museum (downtown, no tour needed)

- beach day farther afield someplace like Rum Point

Try https://www.caymansafari.com

Thanks for the link!  Hope they are still in business and ready to welcome cruisers in late December 2021.

• 3 weeks later...

Seven Fathoms Rum-small independent rum distillery a 5 minute cab ride from the cruise port

https://caymanspirits.com/sevenfathomsrum/

Book in advance can add it to an afternoon of almost anything.  Tour of the distillery is cool and not that long and you get to sample unlimited rums(which is really alot of rum if you wanted) Cool story about who Seven Fathoms is and the its a cool bottle to buy.  I'll go back again my next Grand Cayman stop.