Do you pack sneakers?

sydbarrett

In an effort to lighten my load, I'm considering not packing sneakers for my Caribbean cruise. Is this a mistake? I never wear them in the Caribbean but always bring them "in case". I do have a great walking sandal that I spend all summer in at home. Most of our excursions are snorkelling tho I'm sure there will be some walking involved. Just wondering if any of you leave your sneakers at home? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agibeault said:

In an effort to lighten my load, I'm considering not packing sneakers for my Caribbean cruise. Is this a mistake? I never wear them in the Caribbean but always bring them "in case". I do have a great walking sandal that I spend all summer in at home. Most of our excursions are snorkelling tho I'm sure there will be some walking involved. Just wondering if any of you leave your sneakers at home? 

I bring sneakers (actually wear them on airplane) if we’re planning any hiking. Otherwise I stick with my trusty Keen sandals (with covered toe) (I wear them on the plane cause they’re heavy!

• Like 1

I don't remember ever packing sneakers for a Caribbean Cruise. I have been cruising almost 20 years and

have been to the Caribbean at least a dozen times. Sneakers are just not a normal part of my attire and

in the Caribbean? Lots of sandals:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Last cruise i only took Sketchers and wished i had taken my trainers(sneakers) as for all the walking we did although comfortable the Sketchers were not waterproof (we had rain) or imo supportive enough for the terrain encountered. 

i always fly in my trainers to save their weight in case. hth 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, agibeault said:

In an effort to lighten my load, I'm considering not packing sneakers for my Caribbean cruise. Is this a mistake? I never wear them in the Caribbean but always bring them "in case"....

In case of what? Seriously asking, not being sarcastic. If you know you won't wear them (for example, there is a gym on board but you know you won't use it), then why bring them? I take several pairs of sandals to the Caribbean, anywhere in summer, actually - like you, I am comfortable wearing them on long walks, and I think they look great as part of a summer outfit. 😁

• Like 1

I usually wear a pair for embarkation that are also used in the gym for weight training, and also pack a pair for running when we are training for races.  It depends on the port if I wear them off the ship, but was definitely glad to have them when our Bermuda cruise got diverted to Charleston and DH and I walked 10 miles in port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

In case of what? Seriously asking, not being sarcastic. If you know you won't wear them (for example, there is a gym on board but you know you won't use it), then why bring them? I take several pairs of sandals to the Caribbean, anywhere in summer, actually - like you, I am comfortable wearing them on long walks, and I think they look great as part of a summer outfit. 😁

One time I went away for a couple of days on business and found myself hiking a mountain in heels Lol! I’m always in a competition with myself to pack as little as humanly possible. But other than that one time when I wished I had them, I never wear them down south!

Edited by agibeault

On 2/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, sydbarrett said:

One time I went away for a couple of days on business and found myself hiking a mountain in heels Lol! I’m always in a competition with myself to pack as little as humanly possible. But other than that one time when I wished I had them, I never wear them down south!

That's why I make sure I have my trail runners before any other shoes!!!!   I can do without sandals, and I don't do heels.  

• Like 1

I don't do the gym, so I've never needed "sneakers" of any  kind in the Caribbean.  Flip-flops (not the cheap-o rubber ones) are my "go to" shoe for everything except dinner....then I wear heels/capris.....or a sundress.   It's so warm, you really don't need a huge number of shoes.

• Like 1

Hubby and I always take sturdy hikers (wear on plane because they're fairly heavy and take up a lot of space.We do like to actually do trails and clambering over rocks on our trips, so we've never been sorry about that choice.  We never take trainers/runners/sneakers (whatever one calls them in your area) because we find they are the least useful shoe for us, not dressy enough to do double duty like good supportive walking shoes.  Hubby takes lace up dressy leather mocs like below that can also work with chinos and sport coat.  And sandals on a warm climate cruise.

A-Guide-to-Crepe-Sole-Shoes-Gear-Patrol-2-2.jpg

I like to take a flat with arch support that can look a bit dressy too:  like this (but lighter summer colours in hot climates)

PAIR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canadjineh said:

Lois R, they are Arche.  Quite comfortable!  You can find them on Zappos easily.

Thanks.....just looked at them.....I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" but those are quite expensive

(in my opinion).  I am not looking to spend  365.00.

I know, they are quite pricey.  I have narrow feet that have arthritis issues from broken bones and find I have to be picky about my shoes.  That said, you may be able to find a similar style in a different brand that fit you well.  If you don't need to spend that, I sure wouldn't.  Jambu women's shoes are similar in style (especially the Celeste) and very comfortable and well made and one third of the price.  Some of their sandals have cute 'bungee' sides too.

Image result for Jambu celeste

Oh, I understand having feet issues and am ok with paying more for a good/high arch support shoe but at this time,

that one is just more than I want to spend. 

I wasn't really looking for a new shoe at this point anyway:classic_smile:

I don't leave my sneakers at home. I wear them on embarkation and debarkation days. While I am generally happy in my sandals, I have made the mistake enough times of forgetting just how much walking is entailed on embarkation especially. I always used to think of it as an "easy" ship day but I always end up walking all over the ship and usually, my trainers are the best shoes to continue to have happy feet on my trip.

We just sailed on Harmony...in San Juan and St Maarten, we walked...the walk into town in St Maarten isn't the best path...and I was very happy to be wearing closed toed sneakers...and all the cobblestone roads in Old San Juan...going up and down hills...again, very happy to have my trainers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've had all my toenails removed which means I would have to wear socks with the sandals.

Are you a long distance runner? People get wiggy about their perceived abnormalities...and want to hide them to avoid the negative reactions of others...but do you really never show your feet in public now? I’m sorry you “can’t” wear sandals.

• Like 1

One of the things I inherited from my father (other than my great looks) was severe ingrown toenails.  The best solutions was to surgically remove those.  I don't wear open toed shoes.  I'm not a pool/beach person so it's no great loss.  I did get a big kick out of the person who offered me a discount pedicure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3