Is HAL checking passenger temperatures during embarkation yet?

kangforpres

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

From the story, that was a singular decision based on passengers being sick. That's not the same as a unilateral decision not to accept any cruise ships, though. So far as I know right now, there is no universal ban on cruise ships from the US in this hemisphere. 

Oh, I realize that and it wasn't meant as such.  And I forgot to mention what happened to Anthem OTS last week which sailed out of Bayonne.  Anyway,  I was just sharing info as a reminder that anything is possible and not just in Asia.

21 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Do you have any idea what is the fatality rate from he common flu?

The fatality rate from the Wuhan coronavirus appears to be 2-3%. Calculate the death toll in the States alone if the disease is not stopped in its tracks. Fortunately, it's not the MERS disease with a fatality rate of 37%.

I have s short summary here in Post 95...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2732463-cruises-starting-in-hong-kong-still-offered/?tab=comments#comment-59349717

I hope that none of us have to undergo the Diamond Princess experience. 

I can only quote a math teacher who said that over 10,000 people die every year from the flu' in the USA, and his statement was backed up by another man who is a statistician.  Also, we should consider that the population of China is far larger than ours, and they live much closer to each other.

The huge difference in the flu and coronavirus is the flu shot. I don't worry about getting the flu because with the shot, I'm either immune or would have a much lighter illness. I would guess most deaths from the flu are people who didn't get the shot. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zelker said:

They may not do it at the beginning of a cruise (unless the ship has just had a noro outbreak) but during our 40 days on Noordam in October/November when we had an insane number of people with upper respiratory ailments and then noro started after we embarked more than half the ship in Australia and infected 25%+ of pax and crew, we had Code Orange and then almost immediately went to Code Red (condiments, tableware/napkins, glasses, etc. were removed from tables, no self-serving beverages, completely Saran Wrapped the Lido stations, stopped putting out the taco bar by the pool, pretty much anything we are used to doing for ourselves when it comes to food and beverage was handled by crew).  And sadly we STILL saw people ignoring it as much as they could get away with anyway.  😞  

I've seen the ship go into code Red for Noro. It's pertty funny in the Lido when you see passengers who don't understand. One very confused man kept reaching for the glasses of juice and poking at the plastic wrap until a server noticed and gave him what he wanted. 

3 minutes ago, Iris5383 said:

The huge difference in the flu and coronavirus is the flu shot. I don't worry about getting the flu because with the shot, I'm either immune or would have a much lighter illness. I would guess most deaths from the flu are people who didn't get the shot. 

Lots of stories on the news about people not getting flu shots and getting sick. There's always a reminder that "there still is time to get your shot so do it now!" 

To be able to answer the OPs initial question I would want to know what type of thermometer they would be using to  measure my temp. Oral or digital and I would have no issues. But rectal would not be good. And also, where would this be done? During boarding? Would cause a lot of other issues that I would not care to get into right now. 😯

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, dogo88 said:

To be able to answer the OPs initial question I would want to know what type of thermometer they would be using to  measure my temp. Oral or digital and I would have no issues. But rectal would not be good. And also, where would this be done? During boarding? Would cause a lot of other issues that I would not care to get into right now. 😯

FYI, airport temperature checks have already been done in USA.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/5-us-airports-will-check-temperatures-of-passengers-from-ebo

Hate to be a pessimist but I doubt any of this will help, nobody is going to be like "oh sure, send me home!".

And where do they draw the line? Someone might have a fever from something completely unrelated. 

And all of their efforts can be completely trumped at the first port, all it will take is one unknowingly exposed person to undo it all.

Since I posted this on Sunday, more news and information is always coming out. The WHO says they are worried about people spreading Corona to other people outside of China, I mean people who never went to China have been spreading Corona in Singapore, France and the UK. They are called "Supper-Spreaders. A Super Spreader in a confine area with lots of other people like a cruise ship or airplane would yield really bad results.

Also, even though the mortality rate is staying low in the 2-3% range, the virus itself has been proven to be incredibly contiguous. Just about all of the medical staff in the first hospital that treated the first batch of patients caught the virus and they where using medical infectious disease precautions. Also there are numerous reports of Chinese families coming down 100% infection rates after just one member of the family has caught it.

Remember China has a very advance and efficient health care system, their economy is a central command economy that can build hospitals in 10 days and lock down a city of 11 million for 2 weeks and everyone complies. 

If Corona makes it do a less developed country or a more "freedom of movement" country the results will be different.

Wash you hands and stay well, 

Paul

29 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Hate to be a pessimist but I doubt any of this will help, nobody is going to be like "oh sure, send me home!".

And where do they draw the line? Someone might have a fever from something completely unrelated. 

And all of their efforts can be completely trumped at the first port, all it will take is one unknowingly exposed person to undo it all.

I have to be positive.

Yes, infected people will slip through. But, our best efforts can prevent most infected people from infecting others. That's enough.

The latest word from the Westerdam thread is that Thailand won't allow the vessel to dock in the country. So,  stay tuned to the saga.

Edited by HappyInVan

15 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I have to be positive.

Yes, infected people will slip through. But, our best efforts can prevent most infected people from infecting others. That's enough.

The latest word from the Westerdam thread is that Thailand won't allow the vessel to dock in the country. So,  stay tuned to the saga.

And what a saga it is! Never thought I would see this in my lifetime, despite all the Hollywood hyped movies in recent years.

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

And what a saga it is! Never thought I would see this in my lifetime, despite all the Hollywood hyped movies in recent years.

Stay cool. Life will go on. Lessons are being learned.

China's special hospitals are just quarantine camps. We can prepare proper hospital facilities in time. Regardless, the key is to prevent infection from spreading. That can be done. But, it will be a form of tough love.

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Stay cool. Life will go on. Lessons are being learned.

China's special hospitals are just quarantine camps. We can prepare proper hospital facilities in time. Regardless, the key is to prevent infection from spreading. That can be done. But, it will be a form of tough love.

True that.  Amazing how fast China got those hospitals built, even if they are just huge rooms with hundreds of beds. But I figured if anyone can do it, China can! Around here they'd spend longer than that arguing over environmental impact. I once worked at a company that couldn't build where they wanted because of two trees that would have to be removed as if they were the last two trees in Washington.

We sail this coming Sunday and this morning received an update to the previous pre-embarkation and/or cancellation policy we got last week.  Looks like they must be receiving requests for cancellation refunds from people who have no grounds to cancel but are trying to get a refund from HAL so they have added comments about proof.  Also, more detailed info re: pre-embarkation screening, to check entry requirements of countries we're visiting, that they'll be scanning passports, and to be aware that requirements may change as needed.  

(ps - just sharing info here, not trying to insight a riot on the boards because some consider it fear-mongering 😕)

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airports), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Holland America Line. All guests will also be subject to preboarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.

Edited by zelker

49 minutes ago, zelker said:

We sail this coming Sunday and this morning received an update to the previous pre-embarkation and/or cancellation policy we got last week.  Looks like they must be receiving requests for cancellation refunds from people who have no grounds to cancel but are trying to get a refund from HAL so they have added comments about proof.  Also, more detailed info re: pre-embarkation screening, to check entry requirements of countries we're visiting, that they'll be scanning passports, and to be aware that requirements may change as needed.  

(ps - just sharing info here, not trying to insight a riot on the boards because some consider it fear-mongering 😕)

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: We're monitoring the situation with the coronavirus that originated in mainland China, and our medical experts are working with global health authorities. As a precaution, anyone who has traveled from or through mainland China, Macau or Hong Kong (including airports), or has had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) within 14 days of the start of this cruise will not be allowed to board the ship. If this applies to you or your client, please contact us with proof of this travel for a full refund of the amount paid to Holland America Line. All guests will also be subject to preboarding health reporting and enhanced screening at check-in. Due to changing circumstances, it is possible that authorities in the countries on your cruise may change their entry requirements on short notice. Please check all entry requirements prior to your arrival to the ship to ensure you are not impacted. Guest passports will be scanned to verify compliance. False responses on forms will result in immediate debark at the next opportunity, and you may face legal consequences. We may change requirements to safeguard guests and crew.

I got the same email (three times!) yesterday for my cruise on Saturday. Looks to me like we'll get a new version of the health questionnaire as part of the boarding procedure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeanneTX said:

Its weird because I haven't heard anything from HAL so far.  But our cruise isn't until the 29th so maybe I'll be getting one closer to the cruise date.

Teanne

We have friends joining us in San Diego on March 1st (we'll already be onboard) and they haven't received anything yet either.  Suspect things are so fluid at the moment that it makes sense for HAL to wait until it's much closer to your sail date.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dogo88 said:

Just guessing here, but I would imagine that we'd see those 'forehead scanners' in use. They're quite popular here -- even in our local medical offices.

Here's some useful info. I'm in the vulnerable age group. So, please do check the temperature at embarkation.

"The coronavirus appears to be sparing one group of people: Kids

... About 80% of people who died from the virus in China were over the age of 60, and 75% had pre-existing conditions, according to a recent report from China’s National Health Commission.'' "

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/the-coronavirus-appears-to-be-sparing-one-group-of-people-kids.html

15 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Here's some useful info. I'm in the vulnerable age group. So, please do check the temperature at embarkation.

"The coronavirus appears to be sparing one group of people: Kids

... About 80% of people who died from the virus in China were over the age of 60, and 75% had pre-existing conditions, according to a recent report from China’s National Health Commission.'' "

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/11/the-coronavirus-appears-to-be-sparing-one-group-of-people-kids.html

This is really good news.  Thanks so much for sharing your "find."  The kids are the most important.

• Thanks 1