Input on Freedom on the Sea out of San Juan PR

Ptroxx

6 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

We loved the scenic railway tour on St Kitts. One of our favorite tours!

We have been on the Freedom many times and it's one of our favorite ships. Love the solarium. We have not sailed the Freedom out of San Juan but have sailed out of there several times on other ships.

In San Juan, we have stayed at the Caribe Hilton. Not a long taxi or Uber to the ship. Keep in mind that as someone else pointed out, the Freedom is not docked at the pier by Old Town. They dock at the Pan American pier. There really isn't anything close to the Pan American pier so a short taxi or Uber will be required from any hotel. Regarding taxis, we found that there were fixed rates from the airport to various hotels etc so there are no worries using a taxi vs Uber. Prices were not bad. As I recall it was about about $20 - $25 from Airport to hotel and about the same from hotel to ship. Uber would most likely be less.

San Juan itineraries are port intensive which we like a lot! We try to do B2B cruises due to having to fly.

T

We signed up for the Scenic Railway and looking forward to visiting all the ports on our b2b, 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* Our opinion and observation only...one thing truly unique about the Freedom sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico is this: We enjoyed watching, at each sailing, many young girls celebrating their Quinceaneras (sp), dressed in beautiful long gowns.  During one sailing alone, we saw 36 young girls getting their formal pictures taken along with all their families...all dressed to the 10's...nice.

Bonsai - that is one thing I also loved about cruising out of San Juan.  The families were dressed up so nice - especially all the little girls!  

In general, thought Freedom was a great ship.  We are cruising her again in February 2021-  looking forward to her "amplification".  

And I love Puerto Rico - been there on a couple of land-based vacations too. 

Just a note to ptf2009 - no, not all of our PR citizens speak English, though it's very common.  I think it never hurts to know a few courtesy words in Spanish for those who prefer that language.

2 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

OMG...another lib apologizing for being an American!!!!:(:(:(  FYI: The world right now respects us more than ever:)

I have found the people from Puerto Rico and many other countries as very kind and very entertaining. I've been on many cruises out of PR and have not found any language problem.

Here is my take on Puerto Rico and its people. Puerto Ricans can be very loud and boisterous and there are times you may wonder if they have any idea what the purpose of standing in a line is. They can also be a bit lacking in understanding the concept of personal space.

However, they are a people who are very proud of their culture, heritage, island, and they love their music. They are also very kind and inclusive and love to share their culture with anyone who shows an interest in joining in. I have completely enjoyed every visit that I have had to Puerto Rico and always look forward to returning.  Likewise, I have enjoyed all the cruises that I've been on that departed from there. The Puerto Ricans on board bring a flavor and vibe to the cruise atmosphere that I thoroughly enjoy. I never tire of visiting there.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, trey420 said:

I plan to be there in November.  Was looking at ab&b but didn't see many options.  Last trip we did the big satellite dish, and forts.  This trip I want to visit the pork highway, maybe do the rain forest or the bioluminescent bay.  We are not beach people.  We will do city tours maybe zipline.  Or something else, we haven't seen excursion options yet.  But I expect fun times.  I'm in a hump cabin seemed like something to try this is our first RC cruise and first in a long while too.  

Oh my, I don't think you are looking in the right spot if you can't find an ab&b now for sometime in November.  I booked my ab&b at this time last year for November, 2019.  They were plentiful and I have a neighbour who has just booked an ab& for this upcoming March, and she had sooo many to chose from.  I suggest you look again!

Wow all great information.      I really like the idea of the train ride.    That’s going to take care of one port.  Lolol.   

side not. Got my cabin assignment.     Deck 8 right at the elevator.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2356132-elevator-location-near-cabins/

3EC1C47D-0BA4-4B19-89F0-390F22736A5A.jpeg

Love doing Bacardi tour in San Juan, take the ferry across from CVS in old town for2 round trip and shuttle to Bacardi is about 11pp and 3 different tours at Bacardi,.

for rooms I like balcony would do a spacious OV just  to see the ports when pulling in.  

15 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

Love doing Bacardi tour in San Juan, take the ferry across from CVS in old town for2 round trip and shuttle to Bacardi is about 11pp and 3 different tours at Bacardi,.

for rooms I like balcony would do a spacious OV just  to see the ports when pulling in.  

Don’t drink so no interest in Bacardi tour.     
booked a balcony. Don’t need spacious. As I’m traveling solo.   
I video all my cruises with a gopro attached to the balcony in time lapse.     

12 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

OMG...another lib apologizing for being an American!!!!:(:(:(  FYI: The world right now respects us more than ever:)

I have found the people from Puerto Rico and many other countries as very kind and very entertaining. I've been on many cruises out of PR and have not found any language problem.

Haaaaahaaaaa.  I am as far from a lib as you can get.  I am also very proud to be an American and would never wish to be from or live anywhere else. 

Where you there on our cruise?  Did you see the contrasting cultures (not in a negative way mind you)?   Did you see how some of our countrymen reacted?  You may have read some of the CC threads about the obvious cultural differences on these cruises out of PR.  This not something made up.  Americans in general are spoiled and I own up to it.  When we are made to feel uncomfortable we b&m and complain (I would say more than other cultures).  Call a spade a spade.  

We did not encounter any "problems" with any of the native cruisers or the language.  It was just very enlightening how different things were and how it made some feel (not all mind you as we all have our own perspectives).

Please take political rants to another thread or site ,as to not screw up my thread.   I’m not concerned about who I’ll be cruising with.  
I’d appreciate it.  as I don’t want this thread to be closed.  
there’s another site for that.  Please not here.   Again I’d appreciate it.   

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Here is my take on Puerto Rico and its people. Puerto Ricans can be very loud and boisterous and there are times you may wonder if they have any idea what the purpose of standing in a line is. They can also be a bit lacking in understanding the concept of personal space.

However, they are a people who are very proud of their culture, heritage, island, and they love their music. They are also very kind and inclusive and love to share their culture with anyone who shows an interest in joining in. I have completely enjoyed every visit that I have had to Puerto Rico and always look forward to returning.  Likewise, I have enjoyed all the cruises that I've been on that departed from there. The Puerto Ricans on board bring a flavor and vibe to the cruise atmosphere that I thoroughly enjoy. I never tire of visiting there.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.  I did not want my take to come across as critical of the PR culture or the people.  We all agreed that SJ was an awesome city we would love to visit and a cruise out of there would be welcomed.  We would just be a bit more prepared for the cultural differences you so adequately described above.

Back on point.   Our group really like boat beach tours.    
We chartered Capt Bobs boat all to our self in Dt Marteen last week and had a blast.  
would like to do that again for this trip.  
we’ll have about 30 in our group this time. 

9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Wow all great information.      I really like the idea of the train ride.    That’s going to take care of one port.  Lolol.   

side not. Got my cabin assignment.     Deck 8 right by the elevator.

Very convenient deck to be on. It is only 3 flights of stairs up to the pool deck snd solarium and three decks down to the Royal Promenade. I like to avoid the elevators when I can.

What I would say about the train on St Kitts is if this is your first time to St. Kitts you will see a lot of the back country but miss out on other interesting sites, one of them being the Brimstone Hill Fortress which is fun to explore and has amazing views. I would recommend a van tour instead and can make a recommendation if you want. The train is nice and we did it on a subsequent stop at the island. It is also, in my opinion, very over priced.

On Barbados, Harrisons Cave is really beautiful and, again in my opinion, worth the time.

Do the cruises out if PR always have so many locals? Does PR get better pricing or last minute perhaps  I’m on this sailing March 15. Getting excited 

hows the pool area on sea days? Can u get a chair? Does the ship feel packed? I believe our sailing if full- spring break for a lot 

Edited by b_cruise

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Very convenient deck to be on. It is only 3 flights of stairs up to the pool deck snd solarium and three decks down to the Royal Promenade. I like to avoid the elevators when I can.

What I would say about the train on St Kitts is if this is your first time to St. Kitts you will see a lot of the back country but miss out on other interesting sites, one of them being the Brimstone Hill Fortress which is fun to explore and has amazing views. I would recommend a van tour instead and can make a recommendation if you want. The train is nice and we did it on a subsequent stop at the island. It is also, in my opinion, very over priced.

On Barbados, Harrisons Cave is really beautiful and, again in my opinion, worth the time.

Yes please.  I’m open to all suggestions.   We have a big group going an I’d guess we could book a van to our self.    So please any suggestions would be appreciated.  

last week in Saint Marteen we chartered our own boat from Capt Bob. And that was a blast.  

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

There is a small duty free store inside the cruise terminal. You can purchase your wine and soda after checking in.

This is great info.   I like to bring water on board for my cabin. 
I took 3 liters on last week. They didn’t even blink an eye or check my carry on.  
thanks for the tip.