Input on Freedom on the Sea out of San Juan PR

Ptroxx

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Yes please.  I’m open to all suggestions.   We have a big group going an I’d guess we could book a van to our self.    So please any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thenford Grey's Island excursions. If you google him you will find his website. He does a great tour in a very comfortable air conditioned van. He is an absolute gentleman, very knowledgeable about St. Kitts and loves conveying that information to his guests.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thenford Grey's Island excursions. If you google him you will find his website. He does a great tour in a very comfortable air conditioned van. He is an absolute gentleman, very knowledgeable about St. Kitts and loves conveying that information to his guests.

Thanks for the info.   More options are great.  

our group really like beach tours 

St Thomas... you could take one of the scenic tours that takes you around the island. Make sure it is going to Mountain Top, the views are amazing. You could take the tram to Paradise Point. But for what they charge for the tram you can get an island tour for not much more cost.

Antigua... a trip to Nelsons Dockyard and shirley Heights is what we did and enjoyed it.

I already covered st Kitts and Barbados.

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

St Thomas... you could take one of the scenic tours that takes you around the island. Make sure it is going to Mountain Top, the views are amazing. You could take the tram to Paradise Point. But for what they charge for the tram you can get an island tour for not much more cost.

Antigua... a trip to Nelsons Dockyard and shirley Heights is what we did and enjoyed it.

I already covered st Kitts and Barbados.

I must have missed the Barbados. ??   I’ll have to go back and look.  
I looked at a suggestion on another thread for st Kitts the Marriott.  But it’s like 60.00 each.  I’d rather spend a little more and get more from the tour.    I looked at a few beach tours that look awesome.   

this is why I started this early so we can get some great ideas.  
thanks again for the suggestions and ideas.  
our group is going to be about 25 people.  But not everyone will do the same thing.  

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

I must have missed the Barbados. ??   

I mentioned Harrison's Cave on Barbados. I understand many people are not interested in the same things that I am. I am not interested in going to beaches. I live on the ocean. I love topography, caves, forts, scenic vista, interacting with the local people, etc. But I have no interest in just lying on a beach.

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I mentioned Harrison's Cave on Barbados. I understand many people are not interested in the same things that I am. I am not interested in going to beaches. I live on the ocean. I love topography, caves, forts, scenic vista, interacting with the local people, etc. But I have no interest in just lying on a beach.

Found it.  I missed it before.       That looks awesome. I like a lot of the same.  Had a blast in San Juan walking around the fort and exploring the city.  
same for me, I’m not a laying on a beach kinda guy.   But do like touring around the island and swimming at different locations. More than an hour and I get bored and need to move on.    

I like this tour in Antigua and I’m sure our group would like it too. As that’s kinda what we did in Saint Marteen with Capt Bob.    
And in Kitts. The train ride.   

thanks again for all your input.      

A619BEA2-BEFC-46ED-91DC-354F9EA10DE5.jpeg

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I looked back on our excursions for our March 15th sailing and we will be doing the 4 X 4  & Harrison Caves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I looked back on our excursions for our March 15th sailing and we will be doing the 4 X 4  & Harrison Caves. 

Do you have a link for the 4x4 part of this ?   Can’t find it.   Green monkey 4x4 ?  
for pricing and booking? 

We've sailed out of PR on the Freedom 3 times.  We always stay at the Marriott Stellaris in Condado.  It's a beautiful hotel and right on the beach.  There is a CVS next door and a Walgreens across the street (both sell bottles of wine and alcohol).  There are many restaurants within walking distance.  It is about a 10 minute cab ride from the airport and about the same to the port. 

22 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Do you have a link for the 4x4 part of this ?   Can’t find it.   Green monkey 4x4 ?  
for pricing and booking? 

On the RCC: site for our March 15 sailing and Excursions, it is listed as :

4 X 4 Island Safari And Harrisons Cave Expedition $ 109 PP
BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
DURATION: 4 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES

Discover Barbados, above and below ground, with a driver-guide, who shares history and…

29 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

On the RCC: site for our March 15 sailing and Excursions, it is listed as :

4 X 4 Island Safari And Harrisons Cave Expedition $ 109 PP
BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS
DURATION: 4 HOURS AND 30 MINUTES

Discover Barbados, above and below ground, with a driver-guide, who shares history and…

Yeah that excursion doesn’t come up on my planner.  
 Has the caves and island Walking tour.  But not the 4x4.        
 Also I prefer to book myself not with RC. Save a few buck as most excursions are the same. Just cost more from the ship.   And with 5 ports it could add up Lolol.   
thanks again for all your help and info.     

2 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Yeah that excursion doesn’t come up on my planner.  
 Has the caves and island Walking tour.  But not the 4x4.        
 Also I prefer to book myself not with RC. Save a few buck as most excursions are the same. Just cost more from the ship.   And with 5 ports it could add up Lolol.   
thanks again for all your help and info.     

Your welcome, when is your sailing. we are doing a b2b, March 8th & 15th. 

If you are just coming in the day before we have often stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot Miramar.  It is but a 5 minute (at the most) ride to the pier.   Granted there is not a lot of historical things to see there but the hotel is nice, with two excellent places to eat and a pool.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Your welcome, when is your sailing. we are doing a b2b, March 8th & 15th. 

We have a ways to go.  Just got back 2 weeks ago from HOS and we just booked this one for the same time next year   S one have about 352 days.    
I know.   But I like to get a jump on things and have a bunch of info     
we have a big group of friends going 25+.  And I’m getting Info for everyone. 
so anything we like we would confirm ASAP this way it’s paid for early and not a big chunk $$$ as we get closers to our trip.  
my idea is to confirm something every few months as we get closer.  A little here and there is better than paying everything at once.  

this way if we can charter as a group we get in before everyone else.  
we chartered a boat For ourself in Saint Marteen with Capt Bob. And had a blast with the boat all to our self.   

5 minutes ago, rharvey999 said:

If you are just coming in the day before we have often stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot Miramar.  It is but a 5 minute (at the most) ride to the pier.   Granted there is not a lot of historical things to see there but the hotel is nice, with two excellent places to eat and a pool.

That my plan to come in a day before.  Just Incase.   We have a big group of about 25.  
im sure most will plan their own hotels.  But just coming up with ideas.    
I like old San Juan.    And will be looking around there.   Seen some nice Airbnb locations.   

We are doing this exact itinerary on the June 7th sailing.   We are staying at the Dreams Miramar the night before (budget).  Will shuttle to pier. 

St. Thomas - Pirate museum and then  Magen's Bay beach

St Kitts - Ziplining 

Antigua - Catameran Sail, snorkel and beach excrusion

St Lucia - booked cosol tours based on recommendations from this site (hope we like it)

Barbados - The Boatyard

Night after we are staying at Casablanca in old San Juan. We have booked Charlie's Custom Tours to pick us up at dock with our luggage and tour San Juan.  He will drop us off at our hotel.  

Edited by Patty2005
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

We have a ways to go.  Just got back 2 weeks ago from HOS and we just booked this one for the same time next year   S one have about 352 days.    
I know.   But I like to get a jump on things and have a bunch of info     
we have a big group of friends going 25+.  And I’m getting Info for everyone. 
so anything we like we would confirm ASAP this way it’s paid for early and not a big chunk $$$ as we get closers to our trip.  
my idea is to confirm something every few months as we get closer.  A little here and there is better than paying everything at once.  

this way if we can charter as a group we get in before everyone else.  
we chartered a boat For ourself in Saint Marteen with Capt Bob. And had a blast with the boat all to our self.   

While I would have liked to stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan, a 2 day stay for the daughter & I would have been over $500 to $600 not including food. We are booked in the Decanter for 2 days.. I did look at places in the Condada area but because we wanted to spend the time touring Old San Juan we chose to stay there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patty2005 said:

We are doing this exact itinerary on the June 7th sailing.   We are staying at the Dreams Miramar the night before (budget).  Will shuttle to pier. 

St. Thomas - Pirate museum and then  Magen's Bay beach

St Kitts - Ziplining 

Antigua - Catameran Sail, snorkel and beach excrusion

St Lucia - booked cosol tours based on recommendations from this site (hope we like it)

Barbados - The Boatyard

Night after we are staying at Casablanca in old San Juan. We have booked Charlie's Custom Tours to pick us up at dock with our luggage and tour San Juan.  He will drop us off at our hotel.  

I’m all about budget.   Other in my group will be staying 5start.  Me not so much. Lolol. I just need a bed.  Lol.  Dreams looks perfect for me.  With great reviews. And At 135.00.   Thanks for the great excursion  tips.      

Edited by Ptroxx

My adult kids and I loved Freedom last May!  I loved this exact itinerary so much I just convinced hubby to do it with me this May!  Just booked the other night and we have 99 days to go...can't wait to check out the amplifications.  The ship was great before, it will be even better now.

Hotels are expensive in San Juan!  We stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton which has an amazing location and gorgeous property including a small private beacjh. Though the exterior of the hotel was badly damaged by Hurricane Maria, the interior and grounds are lovely. The price is reasonable and while it doesn't include breakfast there is a Starbucks and a 24-hr Denny's on-site.  DH and I are staying here in May, and I don't hesitate to recommend.  At least take a look.

Regarding your cabin selection...any balcony is great just not deck 10 under pool and Windjammer.  We actually ended up in a spacious ocean balcony not because we need space but because it was cheapest available for our sailing.  Check that out.

The islands are all so amazing, and there are a million things to do it's really what you and your party want.  We did 3 excursions on our own, all amazing!!

St Kitts - my island tours with Javin.  He shows you the rainforest, a bit of an island tour, the black rocks lava thing, then you snorkel and a wreck and get some beach time.  Best of all he has a pet monkey Peaches who plays with you all day!

St. Lucia - we used Joy's Adventure but there are many other companies that do the same tour. Speed boat to the Pitons, volcanic mud baths, waterfall, lunch. We chose Joy's because my daughter has dietary restrictions and they were the most accommodating.

Barbados - Silver Moon catamaran to 2 snorkeling sites with lunch and drinks.  Awesome!

I loved our family cruise on the Freedom. The worst part was debarkation, literally hours standing in line and shuffling along. I wonder if there is a trick for that, maybe ask to get off early? How late can you stay in Windjammer if you have a late flight? I had the simple refreshment plan and really enjoyed the Starbucks coffees. Wonderful cruise on a really big (at least to me) ship.

21 minutes ago, gptraveler said:

I loved our family cruise on the Freedom. The worst part was debarkation, literally hours standing in line and shuffling along. I wonder if there is a trick for that, maybe ask to get off early? How late can you stay in Windjammer if you have a late flight? I had the simple refreshment plan and really enjoyed the Starbucks coffees. Wonderful cruise on a really big (at least to me) ship.

That can be different for each cruise. We were on the Freedom March 2019 and had a departure time for 9:00 AM. They called our number at 8:40 AM. The lines were moving at a nice pace and organized. 

Late flight or not those in charge like to have the ship cleared no later than 10:00 AM. The staff wants you off the ship as they have a long day of preparing the ship for the new guests. Also all the consecutive cruisers (B2B cruisers) can't complete their TAD procedure until the ship is cleared of all non consecutive cruisers. Only after that is completed the ship can start boarding the new guests like yourself who are excited about getting on the ship as soon as possible.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1