Isle of Capri from Naples Port

graysonman

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are travelling to Naples on the Celebrity Constellation this July and we are thinking of doing a day trip to Capri.

Any suggestions of what we should try to see while we are there? restaurant suggestions for lunch?

We are considering just going ourselves without a shore excursion. Could anyone advise about how often the boats go across to Capri from Naples and the cost?

We have been to Naples before and Pompeii before, so we thought this might be a good way to see this part of Italy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Capri is lovely and one of the easiest places for a DIY day trip.

The pier for the fast boats (50 minutes) to Capri, Molo Beverello, is adjacent to the cruise port so it's as simple as turning left when you exit the secure area of the port and you're there.

During the summer there are three different ferry companies that run service between Naples and Capri.  The time of travel is the same for all of them and any price difference is negligible, they're all around 22 - 23 euro each way.

Often the return time you want is on a different line than the outbound trip, so check this before just buying both segments from the same company.  In the past I've always discouraged people from purchasing on line in advance, but the increase in tourism in Naples (up 20% in 2019 vs. 2018, according to data recently released by the region of Campania) has me rethinking that perspective.  The cruise lines use the public ferries for their greatly marked up excursions so the popular times in the morning and afternoon can sell out, so I'm now more open to the idea of buying these tickets in advance.

Buying in advance in Italy is generally a few weeks ahead, not months.  If you choose to do so, buy directly from the ferry line, not from a consolidator.

You can see the current schedule (there will be more runs in the summer) here but again, DO NOT purchase from this site, they add usury level fees:  https://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

That same web site has a lot of good information about things to see and do on Capri.

What to choose depends on your particular interests, but do know that in the middle of the summer the two small towns on Capri will be heaving with people.  If you like walking there are phenomenal walking paths throughout the island that you can almost have to yourself, even in the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Often the return time you want is on a different line than the outbound trip, so check this before just buying both segments from the same company.  In the past I've always discouraged people from purchasing on line in advance, but the increase in tourism in Naples (up 20% in 2019 vs. 2018, according to data recently released by the region of Campania) has me rethinking that perspective.  The cruise lines use the public ferries for their greatly marked up excursions so the popular times in the morning and afternoon can sell out, so I'm now more open to the idea of buying these tickets in advance.

Hi there - we are also thinking of DIY-ing a Capri day.  Just wondering why you discourage from purchasing in advance? I follow your logic on the increase in tourism and therefor maybe considering it... but am wondering what about advance purchase makes you hesitant in the first place?

This was our plan last summer, but when we got to the ferry they weren't running them any longer since the seas were too rough. So we made our way to the train station with some others and went to Sorrento. We ended up really liking it there, had a a wonderful lunch, bought some local limoncello and other things. It was a bit of a hassle but way cheaper then spending $100pp for a taxi to Sorrento.

50 minutes ago, kpd21880 said:

Hi there - we are also thinking of DIY-ing a Capri day.  Just wondering why you discourage from purchasing in advance? I follow your logic on the increase in tourism and therefor maybe considering it... but am wondering what about advance purchase makes you hesitant in the first place?

A couple of reasons I can think of:

In the past the ferries were very unlikely to sell out, except possibly at the VERY last minute before departure. So why pay an extra fee to reserve your ticket in advance if it's not necessary to do so?

Also, I have in the past planned to go to Capri for the day but when the ship arrived at Naples, the weather was rainy and gray. The ferries were still running, but I decided to do something different that day -- just didn't seem the right day for a (mostly outside) trip to Capri.  If I purchased my ticket in advance I would be out the fare, which isn't a lot but also not inconsiderable...

Yep, that's pretty much my thinking.  Buying in advance removes your flexibility and in the past it was so easy to just walk up and get one that it didn't make much sense to tie yourself down.  I wonder if it will be as easy now, with much greater numbers of people, which is why I'm more open to the idea of buying in advance.

If you decide to wait until you arrive to buy your tickets, do buy your return in the morning either in Naples or as soon as you arrive on Capri to avoid getting shut out of the return you want (or need in order to make your sail away time).

We also never buy in advance because we can never be sure of exactly what time we will get over to the  Molo Beverello ferry port.  Once we get to the ferry port we simply check the schedules and book the next fast ferry/jet boat.  Once we arrive on Capri we again check the return schedule at the small ticket office located just off the pier...and purchase a return ticket on the ferry that best meets our time requirements.  Keep in mind that a ticket for one particular ferry company will not be honored by the other companies.  We have been doing it this way for nearly forty years and never had a problem.

There is another reason we do not buy in advance.  If the weather is not good, we will change our plans and do something else more appropriate to the conditions.  This is one of the great advantages of DIY travel.

Hank

Is Capri easy to walk around once off the ferry or do you have to take a taxi somewhere?  Are there many hills to climb or is it relatively flat?  Hints on what to see and do and a lovely seafood restaurant would be nice too!  Thanks!

Parts of Capri are relatively easy to walk but overall it is two mountain groups with a valley in the middle, where Capri town is located.  Anacapri is the other town on the island, located in a flat area partway up the western mountain area.

Here is a web site with lots of ideas of things to do on Capri:  https://www.capri.net/  It's a good site for gathering information but I would hesitate to purchase anything through them, based on the usury level fees they add to ferry tickets.

• Like 1