Grandeur Diverted (Medical)

gmerick

37 minutes ago, JacqueO said:

Strange that they would divert the whole cruise for one person when they can be taken via air?  Would think a helicopter would be faster than the ship returning to port?

Getting someone off the ship by helicopter is extremely dangerous both for the ship and crew of the helicopter and only done as a last resort.  Also depending on the patients condition they may not be stable enough for an air lift. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Funbobby68 said:

Honestly what I witnessed, there is no need to rush 😞 

I'm sure the decision wasn't taken lightly. If the medical team onboard, along with the opinion from experts ashore, determined that this is the best course of action, it doesn't matter what the opinion of the rest of the passengers may be, specially if based on inexperienced visual assessments. 

Unfortunately, medical emergencies are a (thankfully infrequent) part of cruising. We've witnessed a few. One time we had departed San Juan on our way to Aruba when a passenger got sick in the middle of the night. We were back off the coast of San Juan at 6:00am. A pilot boat met the ship a few miles out and they transferred the passenger. Another time we were sailing between St. John and Halifax and the ship had to divert to Yarmouth in the middle of the night, This time we didn't even realize that the evacuation had occurred until we woke up the next morning at sea instead of docked in Halifax. Both times, the itinerary had to be altered. Disappointing? Yes, but I'm sure that in both instances the sick passengers were grateful that the cruise line took measures to save their lives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacqueO said:

Strange that they would divert the whole cruise for one person when they can be taken via air?  Would think a helicopter would be faster than the ship returning to port?

Dozens times ship I've been on sped up to next port, turned around or went to different Port. Helo seems like the best choice, many times isn't. The 2 times did see Helo felt bad for the Family, as sick person was lifted up by basket, they were left behind...

We were on NCL Escape this past Sept.  and had a med evac the evening we left NYC.   Captain came on, explained we were heading toward the NJ coast for the USCG helicopter to position over the bow to rescue this patient.   Our cabin was near the bow and I was able to watch from our balcony.   Talk about SCARY.   If the medical condition itself didn't kill me, being plucked  off a ship  in that little basket at night .. swinging and even spinning a few times would have!!

• Like 1

We once made a detour to Grand Turks and a pilot boat came and took the ill person off.  Did not affect any ports.  An afternoon in Charleston is not the worst thing.  We were on Grandeur in December and had a scheduled port stop in Charleston. However, if you are looking forward to other ports, there will probably be an impact.

We are on the Grandeur too. Heard the alpha called out in Giovanni's. Last night navigation channel showed the ship making a turn towards US coast. Captain confirmed this briefly at morning announcement.

At the top tier event this morning, the Captain mentioned our next port is St Martin and then mumbled something about missing St Croix. I say mentioned, because it did not sound very conclusive at that time.

At the noon announcement he said that we will be at Charleston pilot pickup at 2.30 pm, will take an hour to get up to the harbor, then "evacuate" the patient who "seems to be doing well but have to get him to the hospital on land"; then one hour out the harbor and on our way south. He announced that at that point he will make further announcements. No mention of skipping or switching any port at this announcement.

As for helicopter evac.....heck the coast guard chopper will topple this little boat!!!!!!!!!!!🙃

And most important:  I wish the patient well and hope he makes a great recovery from whatever problem he is having.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

We once had 3 medical evacs on one 7-day cruise! One by helo and two by boat after diverting to nearby ports.

It happens often.

Agree, happens more often then many realize. Cruise on 10-15niters, 4-8 times a yr. Last yr had at least 6 on one sailing. "Sh-stuff" Happens...