Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic???

Laszlo

We are booked on the NCL Jade that will be stopping there February 2021. I'm not able to find much info about this stop including on NCL's site, its not even listed under excursions. Any info would be helpful

Thanks

Puerto Plata is a new stop being marketed as of November 2020, which is why you cannot find much on it. The city is an historic town located on the north shore of the Dominican Republic. Carnival built their own port 10 minutes west of the city, Amber Cove, a couple of years ago. If you are looking for shore excursions, search for Amber Cove and you will find plenty. The city has a pretty main square, shops, a cable car to the top of a mountain, and there are other tours in the area such as zip lines, beach breaks, and the waterfalls at Damajagua.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Love2CruiseTampa said:

Puerto Plata is a new stop being marketed as of November 2020, which is why you cannot find much on it. The city is an historic town located on the north shore of the Dominican Republic. Carnival built their own port 10 minutes west of the city, Amber Cove, a couple of years ago. If you are looking for shore excursions, search for Amber Cove and you will find plenty. The city has a pretty main square, shops, a cable car to the top of a mountain, and there are other tours in the area such as zip lines, beach breaks, and the waterfalls at Damajagua.   

Excellent! Thanks for the information

• 3 months later...

The last time we were in DR, the tender (local) had fabulous Merengue music playing.  We love the music, and the dance!  Is there any place in the town where we could hear some (live or otherwise), and maybe even get to dance?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently booked on the Bliss, coming to Puerto Playa on 2/16/2021. Looks like the waterfall excursion is very popular. Any other recommendations? The cable car to the mountain top sounds pretty cool. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, Jennpate said:

Will be headed there hopefully 10/2020. Any tips on what to see for a couple (no kids) just wanting to enjoy the local area? 

We were scheduled to be there in November and again in January— Oceania cancelled the stop, saying there was still construction and wouldn’t be open due to the delay.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2020 at 3:30 PM, kenns said:

Currently booked on the Bliss, coming to Puerto Playa on 2/16/2021. Looks like the waterfall excursion is very popular. Any other recommendations? The cable car to the mountain top sounds pretty cool. 

The cable car is very scenic I use it as a weather indicator if i can see it it means no heavy clouds

• 2 months later...

the new port is still not finished, guess there is no rush because it is privately funded and there are no cruise ship. It is right on the edge of the town. Most people get out of Amber Cove not go there. The new port will have similar but smaller. look at the drawings. Since it is still many months before cruising goes to DR, suggest you wait till the port is open and availability of taxi or shuttle is known. Once RCL and NCL start sailing into port, it will have local tours to beaches or just city tour or taxi. yes there are beaches close on both sides of the new port. 

Link to the port. last report from a local, construction is started again slowly to time cruise ship opening. 

Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic, Taino Bay) cruise port schedule | CruiseMapper

Edited by strathcona

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, piercetc4 said:

we cruise in nov 2021 and look forward to people posting info on this port!

We will be there in November as well, on the Breakaway. Excited to start cruising again. I was hoping for some insight here for this port. Thanks to those who have posted. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:57 PM, snowcamper said:

We will be there in November as well, on the Breakaway. Excited to start cruising again. I was hoping for some insight here for this port. Thanks to those who have posted. 

Please post back here after you visit in Nov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 6:34 AM, Laszlo said:

Excellent! Thanks for the information

Carefully read about the falls.  You may want to google.  Here is some info.  I know it is old info, however, it is worth reading

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k2866189-o20-Damajagua_Falls_claim_two_more_lives-Puerto_Plata_Puerto_Plata_Province_Dominican_Republi.html

8 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Carefully read about the falls.  You may want to google.  Here is some info.  I know it is old info, however, it is worth reading

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k2866189-o20-Damajagua_Falls_claim_two_more_lives-Puerto_Plata_Puerto_Plata_Province_Dominican_Republi.html

Thanks for the article, but it is 12 years old. Hopefully they have reviewed and made changes in safety protocols.

• 2 weeks later...

We have Puerto Plata as a port on our November 2021 cruise.  I saw a day pass at Sunscape Resort, but the reviews aren't that great.  The beach gets the highest reviews which is why we would go.  Does anyone  know anything about this resort?  It looks like it's a short taxi ride.