Cozumel Excursion Sun Protection

Plato123

In the important notes for an upcoming Cozumel excursion,  There is this note:

The National Marine Park of Cozumel forbids the use of chemical sun protection if entering the water. Only UV protective clothing (rash guard) or biodegradable sun protection are permitted in an effort to protect our oceans.

Can anyone suggest some sun screens that would be permitted?

24 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

Thanks, but I do not say any mention of Bio-degradable sunscreen in the article.

Maybe you didn't read the whole article, which includes this paragraph explicitly mentioning that they only test sunscreens that are biodegradable:

What Do We Test?

To find the best snorkeling sunscreen, we only use and test reef friendly, biodegradable, physical sunscreens (i.e. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, or a combination), since chemical sunscreens are known to harm reefs (and we feel sick when we use them). Read more about reef friendly sunscreens here.

37 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Maybe you didn't read the whole article, which includes this paragraph explicitly mentioning that they only test sunscreens that are biodegradable:

What Do We Test?

To find the best snorkeling sunscreen, we only use and test reef friendly, biodegradable, physical sunscreens (i.e. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, or a combination), since chemical sunscreens are known to harm reefs (and we feel sick when we use them). Read more about reef friendly sunscreens here.

You are right, I missed that.  Any recommended local places to buy these as we seem to be in the same place?  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

You are right, I missed that.  Any recommended local places to buy these as we seem to be in the same place?  Thanks.

According to their website, Stream2Sea is available at Epso, a dive shop in Gatineau. It's located at 174 Boulevard Gréber, but I'm not familiar with them or their pricing. MEC carries ThinkSport. Online, well.ca carries AllGood, and Amazon.ca carries a few different ones. The MEC and Amazon price is the same for the ThinkSport.  

Amazon.com has a pretty good selection, and if you're staying at a pre-cruise hotel you could ship the package there rather than having to use amazon.ca to ship to "Canada's Capital".  

I used https://www.amazon.com/Caribbean-Solutions-Sol-Guard-Spf/dp/B01N8X4SB9 and it worked fine.  The bottle is expired (>3 years since I bought it), but I didn't burn when I was in Cozumel last month.  Little thick and harder to rub in, but seemed fine.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

According to their website, Stream2Sea is available at Epso, a dive shop in Gatineau. It's located at 174 Boulevard Gréber, but I'm not familiar with them or their pricing. MEC carries ThinkSport. Online, well.ca carries AllGood, and Amazon.ca carries a few different ones. The MEC and Amazon price is the same for the ThinkSport.  

Thanks again,

I ordered All Good Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 from Amazon.ca.  I compared price with Walmart.com (US) and Amazon.ca was cheaper and delivered, especially as I use Prime at the moment.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Plato123 said:

Thanks again,

I ordered All Good Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 from Amazon.ca.  I compared price with Walmart.com (US) and Amazon.ca was cheaper and delivered, especially as I use Prime at the moment.  

With the weather here the last few days, it's nice to think of sunblocks and snorkeling! Have fun in Cozumel, especially if your excursion is a drift snorkel.